cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to another city. Will my plan still cover calls and data?

lekharani
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

I will be moving to Whitby from Milton soon. My plan states it includes unlimited provincial calls. While I was there last week I tried to call my husband and parents but got a message saying there may be long distance charges. My husband was in whitby at the time and has a 647 area code. My parents live in scarborough and both the landline and cell phone have an 647 area code.

I was wondering why it was considered to be long distance. 

13 REPLIES 13

@Bubbly100 wrote:

As long as your plan includes long distance, it should all be covered! 

At Public Mobile, all plans include at least long distance within the same province.

Bubbly100
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As long as your plan includes long distance, it should all be covered! 

@lekharani wrote:

Hello

I will be moving to Whitby from Milton soon. My plan states it includes unlimited provincial calls. While I was there last week I tried to call my husband and parents but got a message saying there may be long distance charges. My husband was in whitby at the time and has a 647 area code. My parents live in scarborough and both the landline and cell phone have an 647 area code.

The fact that you are calling from a 647 number to another makes no difference.  It is considered a long distance call to make a call from Whitby to Toronto, and that is why you are hearing this message.  Your plan includes long distance within the same province, but that doesn't mean that the call is local.  The calls will still go through fine and there will be no extra charges.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lekharani  Forgot to mention that you should also check out the new plans that Public Mobile is offering because you might be able to take advantage of Canada wide minutes for the same or less of what you are currently paying.Smiley Happy

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I see this often stated "because its prepaid..." , and I have probaly  said it before, but I think we need to be careful when we use those words.    PM's version of prepaid is different model than chatr for example.  PM is prepaid and there are no overages and there are no pay per use charges.  

With PM, as mentioned  you have to buy the addons to use the feature. and they will never take from available funds. 

With Chatr, and i believe other prepaid,  they have pay per use, but still prepaid.   ie Chatr would charge you .25 to send a mms message, if you did not have funds in the account the message would not send, I believe the same with their long distance calls. the charges woudl deduct from your available funds

I know I am probably being a little picky but it is a difference probably worth noting and being aware of. 

@lekharani wrote:

Thanks. I will try that next time I'm there. I just didn't want to end up with a huge long-distance charge. 🙂

@lekharani  Public Mobile is a prepaid service with no overage charges ever. So if something that is not included in your plan works it's called a bonus. Smiley Happy

@lekharani wrote:

Thanks. I will try that next time I'm there. I just didn't want to end up with a huge long-distance charge. 🙂

Public Mobile has 500 minutes of Canada wide calling Add-on that's currently costing only $5. You can add that to your plan if you want to call outside of your province. Those 500 minutes don't expire but roll over month after month until you use them up.

Not sure if it's something you're interested in but just as an FYI.

@duffer900 wrote:

As @GinYVR stated, just ignore the message. You cannot be charged anything you didn't prepay. If it is in fact a LD call, it just will not connect.

Only partly correct... It should be "if it's a LD call that is not covered by your plan it will not connect without purchasing the according add-on (if available)."

The message is a remnant from the times of landlines / local calling areas - as mentioned above, adding the "1" to the phone number eliminates it. It has no significance for PM customers since there are no overage charges here. You pay for the service you want in advance, otherwise it doesn't work.

@lekharani wrote:

@lekharani  just remember PM is prepaid you will never receive  a data overage charge or roaming charges.  If you haven't paid for a long distance addon you won't be able to call long distance

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@lekharani wrote:

Hello

If it would be a long distance call from a landline you would be required to put a 1 in front of the number before dialing to not get that message.  When I add contacts I always just put a 1 in first then their number.  Now if someone from your new city calls you from a landline they will probably have it as a long distance call

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

lekharani
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

As @GinYVR stated, just ignore the message. You cannot be charged anything you didn't prepay. If it is in fact a LD call, it just will not connect.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@lekharani usually you can just ignore it. Or add 1 as a prefix to your number if it is stored in your Contacts.
Need Help? Let's chat.