cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Phone Number from Another Carrier

lfaber
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am currently trying out the service on an entry level plan. What is the best way for me to migrate my phone number that is with another supplier? I am paranoid about loosing it!

17 REPLIES 17

lfaber

@Anna_M : Thank you very much. I initiated the number transfer process a little while ago and my number is now working on my Public Mobile SIM!

Anna_M
Customer Support Agent

The other supplier will cancel the services on their end once they receive the notice from us that the number was transferred completely. (please don'r forget to check out your last bill with them after the cancelation)

Please don't cancel it before moving numbers since a number transfer requires the old provider's end to be active. 😄

Anna,

Public Mobile Moderator

lfaber

@Eddy_G : Thanks for this. I have already started the process. Let's see where things go!

Eddy_G
Customer Support Agent

Hey lfaber

When you port a number from one carrier to another, the services are suspended with the Old Service Provider while the port is in progress.

Once the port is complete and the number is fully transferred to the New Service Provider, the services are cancelled automatically with the OSP.

Like computergeek541 was saying never cancel a number prior to port, a number needs to be active in order to be eligible to be ported.

Enjoy your day!

Eddy

PM Mod

lfaber

@computergeek541 : This is exactly why I ask these questions. Knowledgable people around me! Thanks!

lfaber

Thanks @Lieux - I appreciate the candor. I am worreid what will happen from a billing perspective on my old provider. But I guess I'll have to wait and see. I Agree that I should port the number over first. Thank you 🙂

@lfaber wrote:

Hi @Anna_M : So when I do the number move thingy, what happens on the other end with my existing mobile services supplier? My number is one of 2 on the accoount. Does my plan get cancelled automatically? Or do I have to call them? Should I cancel first, then transfer my number? I know lots of questions!

Never first cancel a number if you want to transfer it.  An inactive phone number cannot be ported to another carrier.

@lfaber wrote:

Hi @Anna_M : So when I do the number move thingy, what happens on the other end with my existing mobile services supplier? My number is one of 2 on the accoount. Does my plan get cancelled automatically? Or do I have to call them? Should I cancel first, then transfer my number? I know lots of questions!

I am not Anna..but I can tell you that you don't need to do anything ...the phone number will be canceled with them....But don't call them to cancel because it can make more trouble. Don't cancel your number and your service before the port is COMPLETE.

lfaber

@lfaber wrote:

@hairbag1: Thank you very much!

No problem...welcome to Public Mobile.

lfaber

Thanks a bunch. I'll have a look.

lfaber

@hairbag1 : Thank you very much!

lfaber

I am not with Koodo. I am with one of the BIg 3.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber,  if I understand your question correctly, you've already got a working Public Mobile plan.  Is that right?

If so, when you're ready to bring your number over, you'll go into the My Account area, and choose the link for change my number.  From there, most transfer only needs your phone number, account number, and the name and approval (a tick box) of the authorized person on the account.

Depending on the service, there could be some hiccups.  Prepaid Koodo must be done via moderator team, SpeakEZ needs to use the actual account number (not your phone number) or the IMEI number on record.  All other cell phone providers work as I described above.

Landlines are similar and will take longer.

Anna_M
Customer Support Agent

Hello @lfaber,

Thanks for reaching out!

Here are a couple of really useful links to help you get started with Public Mobile:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824?advanced=f...

Have an awesome day! 😄

Anna,

Public Mobile Moderator

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber wrote:

I am currently trying out the service on an entry level plan. What is the best way for me to migrate my phone number that is with another supplier? I am paranoid about loosing it!

When you do sign up with PM, select a number from their list. Don't cancel old plan. Once you're happy with PM, port your old number over. EZPZ.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@lfaber wrote:

Is it with Koodo prepaid? If yes, you need to send a private message to the @CS_Agent for assistance. Also a good idea is to search previous posts regarding porting for your specific provider to get tips and tricks and avoid any pitfalls.

Need Help? Let's chat.