cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to new location what is best option available

htcuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So in a different province now, if i were to get another PM sim card (since phone support dual sim) on the same account i have, would all the addons such as gig of data etc. be ported over to the number. I plan to keep the old number for few months at maybe 15$ or something plan, but would the available addons i have on the old number disappear if i were to get a new sim / number ? Or they are tied to the account and not the sim itself ?

20 REPLIES 20

@htcuser wrote:

I use google authenticator app most of the time, and for banking hardly use anything, I remember my banking passwords and they are not easy to guess. Plus keeping passwords on piece of paper is bad idea i think, what if someone gets a hold of it unless its in a safe. I keep password manager tool for most password but even my banking passwords are not there. Those passwords exist only in 1 location  up in my head.

So still no solution, guess i can just change the number , so there is no option to add another number to my PM account and those addons etc. apply to that number ?

Hi @htcuser you cannot have two numbers in one account.  All bonuses and add-ons stay in your account and are not transferable to another account.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@htcuser 

Each account can only have one number. The add ons are tied to the account. You can change a number in your account every 30 days.

htcuser

I use google authenticator app most of the time, and for banking hardly use anything, I remember my banking passwords and they are not easy to guess. Plus keeping passwords on piece of paper is bad idea i think, what if someone gets a hold of it unless its in a safe. I keep password manager tool for most password but even my banking passwords are not there. Those passwords exist only in 1 location  up in my head.

So still no solution, guess i can just change the number , so there is no option to add another number to my PM account and those addons etc. apply to that number ?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@popping Here is a good website to see who offers what.

https://twofactorauth.org/

For instructions on how to do it for each site:

https://authy.com/

The first is where I saw the TD listed as having 2FA. I'm not sure if I missed it (entirely possible) or it has been corrected, but they offer 2FA (needed to log in EACH time) using SMS or email or phone call (even to landlines) only. This is in addition to requiring the card number or username and password. For lost password reset they do similar to my bank.

TD is the only bank I can see that offers 2FA for sign in which is a separate issue from using a phone number for password reset purposes.

Apologies if I mislead you.

@popping wrote:

@kb_mv 

I will check out TD authentication using app instead of text message.  Thank you for the heads up.

@popping I'm not 100% on the TD. It came up as the only Canadian bank offering it when I looked at moving to an authenticator app. Having said that, mine will make me answer security questions before they do anything with a password reset and only after I enter the registered email on the account as well as postal code and bank card #.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kb_mv 

I will check out TD authentication using app instead of text message.  Thank you for the heads up.

@popping wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

@htcuser wrote:

Good ideas here.

So the reason to keep old SK number is cause I have used it on many services to send passwords reset etc. etc.

@htcuser Unrelated to your initial posting, I think that having your number associated to password resets and / or 2FA is a horrible idea. Even Microsoft is now advising people against it. Far better to use an authentication app or at very least email. If you are ever sim jacked you will understand the problems with tying anything online to your phone number.

The problem is that banks are still using text message for 2FA.  Do you know which bank is using a authentication app?

@popping As far as I know only TD supports 2FA via authenticator app (This alone would make me go with TD if I was starting out again). My bank doesn't but I also don't have them send password resets to my phone. They give you the choice of how you want to receive it. I don't care what anyone says, I think tying your phone number to ANY account online is a bad idea. Worst case I call the bank and they make me prove who I am. Though honestly I can't imagine forgetting my banking password. Plus I have all my account logins and passwords printed out at home. There are other ways than SMS to achieve the same thing. Not as convenient perhaps but from a security perspective more secure.

popping

@kb_mv wrote:

@htcuser wrote:

Good ideas here.

So the reason to keep old SK number is cause I have used it on many services to send passwords reset etc. etc.

@htcuser Unrelated to your initial posting, I think that having your number associated to password resets and / or 2FA is a horrible idea. Even Microsoft is now advising people against it. Far better to use an authentication app or at very least email. If you are ever sim jacked you will understand the problems with tying anything online to your phone number.

The problem is that banks are still using text message for 2FA.  Do you know which bank is using a authentication app?

@htcuser wrote:

Good ideas here.

@htcuser Unrelated to your initial posting, I think that having your number associated to password resets and / or 2FA is a horrible idea. Even Microsoft is now advising people against it. Far better to use an authenticator app or at very least email. If you are ever sim jacked you will understand the problems with tying anything online to your phone number.

htcuser

Good ideas here.

New number will be in ON, so potential employer do not shy away from calling or anyone local shying away as it might cost them long distance.

Fango is a good suggestion, however does it also allow for sms i do not know. I want to keep old number for SMS purposes only for password resets/ etc.etc.

Getting chatr local number might be the best solution, till i am ready to move on and remove the old number completely. But issue is the total cost per month i be paying just to maintain the level of data etc.

I am guessing moving a number from other provider to PM would result in removal of all existing give away add-ons etc. Those add-ons that were part of promotion etc. I thought they were tied to the account and not a number ?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

not sure if PM has different plan in different province.... i don't think so.. honest.

advantage to change a new number based on your province is more like convenient for local caller from your area.  You don't want them to call Long D even they are just next to you.  🙂

also, if you update the address, PM might change the tax charge accordingly.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@htcuser 

What area are you moving to?

Fongo has free numbers in many areas across Canada, they also offer free forwarding so you can have local number and receive all calls on your cell.

If you do find number with another provider and if they allow you can port that number to fongo.

If you don't care about number you have now you can just pick a new number from the new area in your selfserve

popping

@mimmo wrote:

i believe the reason (at least for me) for the new number and keeping the old one  is it give the poster time to inform people of the new number (people that might not be in his contacts)

its like when you move houses you tell canada post to forward your mail to your new address untill all are infomred.

OP has a simpler solution by installing Fongo app to get a number at the new location and always call forward to his old number.  One number to handle all incoming calls.   After 3 months, port the Fongo number to PM account.

This approach will eliminate the problem of porting phone number between PM account and PM will not port number between 2 PM accounts.

Please note that there is a $25 porting fee if the Fongo account was created less than 90 days.

mimmo

i believe the reason (at least for me) for the new number and keeping the old one  is it give the poster time to inform people of the new number (people that might not be in his contacts)

its like when you move houses you tell canada post to forward your mail to your new address untill all are infomred.

@htcuser  a pic to go with what others said on where to click to change your number in your account. If you choose that route.

Orange arrow 

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@htcuser wrote:

So in a different province now, if i were to get another PM sim card (since phone support dual sim) on the same account i have, would all the addons such as gig of data etc. be ported over to the number. I plan to keep the old number for few months at maybe 15$ or something plan, but would the available addons i have on the old number disappear if i were to get a new sim / number ? Or they are tied to the account and not the sim itself ?

Just change your number. No need for a new SIM or account. All your history and rewards and add-ons will stay.

Edit: Your new place will be calling you local rather than long distance. Your old place will be calling you long distance rather than local.

Edit again: if you had an AB number then for tax purposes you could choose to keep it. If you've moved to AB then change your number and you'll get a tax break.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@htcuser 

FYI,

You can change your number in self service every 30 days. 

mimmo

each sim is a new account.  so loyalty etc would be lost once you close the account.   

you could just keep your current  number teh only issue is people calling you would be long distance.   (most current plans are canada wide)

option 2 get a temporary  number with luck chater (whomever you like) and then when you are ready port the new number into the pm account.  this way you keep the addons rewards etc...

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Oops.jpeg

popping

@htcuser wrote:

1.  You don't need to change you phone number if you don't want to.

I have children using AB phone number in Vancouver and Ottawa.

All PM plans come with Canada Wide minutes.  You don't have to worry about extra long distance charge.

2.  You can change your phone number to a local number at the new location.

3.  The add-ons and rewards cannot be moved from one PM account to another PM account.  Don't create a new account which create more problem than solving.

Need Help? Let's chat.