cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile 3G Data not working

Jard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I've scoured through this forum and read every applicable thread and tried every solution I could find. Mobile data still does not work, but texts and calls DO work. I have paid my bill, even next months too just to be sure. Yes, I have put in the AP settings and here are my screenshots. I have restarted the phone many times. My phone is an LG G5 and is in the list of compatible phones and I checked my IMEI number too. My data is indeed turned on. What am I missing? Is this a glich with the new $25 plans? My plan is the unlimited tex/call and 500mb data + 500mb for autopay, at 3G speeds.

61288476_2426336014089557_4885222534070403072_n.png61488058_556421694882116_616534759975157760_n.png61602731_327029071299504_2284671315820412928_n.png

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kelvinKK wrote:
The APN settings have been reset to default.

@kelvinKK thanks for trying to help, but four hours before you posted this, @Jard already mentioned that this has now been resolved (and was not APN).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kelvinKK
The APN settings have been reset to default.
  1. Touch Apps. ...
  2. Touch Settings. ...
  3. Scroll to and touch More. ...
  4. Touch Mobile networks. ...
  5. Touch Access point names. ...
  6. Touch the Menu icon. ...
  7. Touch Reset to default. ...
  8. The APN settings have been reset to default.

@Jard wrote:

You can thank LG for that. The need for factory reset is due to the software that they use on their phones.  The issue is much-talked about on the internet, so the part that I find the most bizarre is LG nto fixing this bug.  It's good to hear that you got your data working.

The weird thing is that Ive had data plans before, with zero issues, with 3 different providers! Public Mobile is different in just the wrong way I suppose.

This isn't a Public Mobile issue.  This would have been triggered no matter who you had switched to. The theory is that the bug happens after switching to different carrier sim cards after a certain number of times.   It's 100% a bug caused by LG. 

Jard

You can thank LG for that. The need for factory reset is due to the software that they use on their phones.  The issue is much-talked about on the internet, so the part that I find the most bizarre is LG nto fixing this bug.  It's good to hear that you got your data working.

The weird thing is that Ive had data plans before, with zero issues, with 3 different providers! Public Mobile is different in just the wrong way I suppose.

@Jard wrote:

HOORAY! The hard factory reset does it!!! Bizarre.

Thank you so much to all who contributed. I selected the first person to suggest the factory reset as the solution, even though many others did after.

Now to find out if restoring my backup will undo this, by restoring the error....

Jard

I tried swapping SIM cards with my girlfriend (she has the same plan) and confirmed that this is a PHONE issue, not a plan issue. Her SIM in my phone yielded no data, while mine in hers DID yield data. This aside, I cant seem to get into my self-serve account. The page simply won't load. These forums work fine however.

I am now doing a factory reset right now. Will wait till it finishes before I post this.

HOORAY! The hard factory reset does it!!! Bizarre.

Thank you so much to all who contributed. I selected the first person to suggest the factory reset as the solution, even though many others did after.

Now to find out if restoring my backup will undo this, by restoring the error....

srlawren

@Jard please keep us posted but yes the factory reset should do it.  This is an LG quirk affecting many models including most in the g-series.  It's not specific to Public Mobile, but can happen any time you change providers with one of the affected phones unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Jard wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Jard 

For LG G5, you need to do a network reset, after change mobile provider, before your data starts working.

1.  Select [settings ] -->  [Network] tab

2.  Scroll to botton and select [Netowrk Settings reset]

3.  Restart your LG G5.  Your APN should be setup correctly.

4.  Setup your WiFi connection as network reset will clear your WiFi password.

I did this today, and then rebooted my phone. Still does not work. The reset worked I know because I did have to re input all my wifi passwords. I will try a hard factory reset soon. I first will try the suggestion someone made about swapping my Sim card into a different phone to determine whether it's a plan issue or a phone issue. I appreciate all the help everyone has offered. 

Good job and nice attitude..keep trying!!Smiley Happy

Jard

@popping wrote:

@Jard 

For LG G5, you need to do a network reset, after change mobile provider, before your data starts working.

I did this today, and then rebooted my phone. Still does not work. The reset worked I know because I did have to re input all my wifi passwords. I will try a hard factory reset soon. I first will try the suggestion someone made about swapping my Sim card into a different phone to determine whether it's a plan issue or a phone issue. I appreciate all the help everyone has offered. 

Jard

@geopublic wrote:

@Jard  Has your data ever worked? I'm assuming you have available data on your plan? If you dial *#*#4636#*#* select phone information what shows under data network and preferred network connection?

I tried this and it says "unavailable on this device". 

Jard

@torontokris wrote:

Does your data say 3G or LTE when you turn off wifi?

Neither, it just shows bars of service

Jard

@GinYVR wrote:

@Jard Has your phone worked on a Canadian LTE network before? Public Mobile is actually not 3G data with Public.. it is actually LTE network throttled to 3G like speed.

Which LG G5 sub model is it? H860, H850, F700L, VS987, H830, H831, H820, H840, LGLS992, LGUS992, F700S, F700K, RS988?

Yes, I had it working with a Koodo 4G/LTE data plan previously. I transferred my same phone number over to this plan. Model is LG-H831

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Jard Try leaving the APN type field to "default" only. If that does not work, you will need to factory reset as LG phones are known for this kind of issue. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jard You have to save the APN setting after you edit the seeting. I helped with my friend last Sunday. First of all, you have to "+" an APN. After you punch in the information, you have to go up to the right hand corner, the three dots, and click on it. A "save" selection will be shown. Save it and you are good to go. Hooray!

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jard 

Can you try your PM SIM card in another phone?  To help determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM service issue.

If network reset does not work, according to PM website advice for LG phones, you might need to do factory reset (make sure to back up your info)

popping

@Jard 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jard  Has your data ever worked? I'm assuming you have available data on your plan? If you dial *#*#4636#*#* select phone information what shows under data network and preferred network connection?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Does your data say 3G or LTE when you turn off wifi?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Jard Has your phone worked on a Canadian LTE network before? Public Mobile is actually not 3G data with Public.. it is actually LTE network throttled to 3G like speed.

Which LG G5 sub model is it? H860, H850, F700L, VS987, H830, H831, H820, H840, LGLS992, LGUS992, F700S, F700K, RS988?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jard do you still have data in your account? Can you see it on your first self-serve account above MY DATA/OPTIONS?

Need Help? Let's chat.