cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minutes

jp47
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the $15 plan. I just was monitoring how many minutes I have used since I have only 100 outgoing minutes to use. I checked and I had used 42 minutes since my plan renewal date and I thought that was high, so I went through my usage and counted only 34 minutes and roughly 17 seconds. Why have I lost out on 8 minutes that I haven't used?

22 REPLIES 22

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Phone calls of all types have been timed in minutes since the invention of the telephone. While obviously that could be changed, it isn't as though they snuck up on anyone with the change.

I remember clearNET and Fido being a couple players (back in the day) that advertised "per second billing", and used it as a distinguishing feature over other carriers.  However, that seems to have gone away with all carriers, at least in Canada...

@CalgaryBen   IIRC Koodo also had per second billing when they first started out and I believe they kept that for a couple of years or more.  When that was changed to rounding up the minutes instead, I'm not quite sure but probably when their competitors (ones you mention) stopped, I'd guess. 

But as mentioned by @AE_Collector it's bit of moot point currently with PM whilst they offer the $5/500 add-on.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like others have said, they round up to the next min. Calls made to check your voicemail from your cellphone also count. You can alway check your online account and check out usage and compare it to your cellphone. Here are my suggestions.You can check voice from a landlind to reduce usage. Have people call you rather then you call them. Buy a 500min add-on for $5. These dont expire until you use. Change your plan to the$25, which gives unlimited cdn wide calling. Use a free service to make calls like using gmail and there are others. You just need wifi or data.

Oh that could be, I don't recall. They were the "next" two carriers in Canada after "the incumbent Telcos" and CanTel. But Telus took out Clearnet in about 2000 and then Rogers took out Fido. Along with that the per second billing must have been taken out as well. 

With the 500 minutes for $5 add-on that PM offers, minutes really aren't worth worrying about now. Data is where it is at.

AE_Collector

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

Phone calls of all types have been timed in minutes since the invention of the telephone. While obviously that could be changed, it isn't as though they snuck up on anyone with the change.

I remember clearNET and Fido being a couple players (back in the day) that advertised "per second billing", and used it as a distinguishing feature over other carriers.  However, that seems to have gone away with all carriers, at least in Canada...

image.jpegPhone calls of all types have been timed in minutes since the invention of the telephone. While obviously that could be changed, it isn't as though they snuck up on anyone with the change.

AE_Collector

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This rounding up of minutes is a big rip off for customers.  If they want to use rounding, there should be both rounding up and down.  Less than 30 seconds goes to zero.  More than 30 seconds rounds to one minute. 

While I am fairly certain that it will add up once you round each call up properly, one other possibility since you are on the $15 plan... Have you been on this plan for about a year or so? When it was first offered about a year ago it was 100 incoming and outgoing minutes combined, not 100 minutes outgoing with unlimited incoming as it is now.  If you never made the change from the old to the new $15 plan you need to count incoming minutes as well. And they get rounded up too. If so, log in and change plans to the current $15 plan selecting the "change on next renewal" option, not the "change immediately" option.

AE_Collector

@jp47 wrote:

Well I went through and added up all my used minutes and got to the 34 minutes and 17ish seconds. So if the minutes are rounded up it should say I have used 35minutes and not 42. So your response doesn't really answer my question. I want to know how I have lost those 8 minutes I haven't used.

@jp47   The rounding occurs on each individual call and not the total. Just go through your call history and do the rounding on each call.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

1min+1sec=2min

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

FWIW, a slight tangent from your question, but possibly apropos... if you're using a smart phone, Google Hangouts (Dialer) still seems to be a good/viable way to make outgoing calls, and if you've verified your phone number and enabled Outbound Caller ID, calls made from Hangouts appear as if they're from your PM phone (without using up minutes).  This is a great way to make outgoing calls (including accessing your voice mailbox) without using up your metered minutes.  It does use data, however, unless you're in WiFi coverage.

You can also use Google Hangouts for outbound calls from anywhere in the world as long as you have data/WiFi (without the need for a calling plan), so really good for calling out as if from home, checking VM, etc.  It's quite suitable for users on the $15 and (no-longer-available) $10 plans which had limited minutes.

Setup/configuration is a bit of work (so not advisable for those without a technical inclination), but quite worthwhile if this use case fits yours.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jp47 please do as @popping asked above. If you are low on minutes you can look into th 500 minute $5  add on. Here's an article on buying add ons https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

See below on where to do it 20200417_204130.jpg

I'm on the same plan and to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used.

Stay safe.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Using your phone to set up voicemail would have used up minutes too.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jp47 

Please post a screenshot of your usage history with your personal info masked out.  Click on the Call Type column to group all outgoing calls in one page.

We will review your outgoing minutes.

@jp47 wrote:

No I have 19 outgoing calls and 12 of them have over 30 seconds in them. Only 3 calls are less than 10 seconds

A 40 sec call is 1 min

A 5 sec call is 1 min

A  1 min 2 sec call is 2 min

I would get a total of 4 min used here.

jp47

If that's the case then I should have lost 19 minutes not 8 as I have 19 outgoing calls

jp47

No I have 19 outgoing calls and 12 of them have over 30 seconds in them. Only 3 calls are less than 10 seconds

@jp47 wrote:

Well I went through and added up all my used minutes and got to the 34 minutes and 17ish seconds. So if the minutes are rounded up it should say I have used 35minutes and not 42. So your response doesn't really answer my question. I want to know how I have lost those 8 minutes I haven't used.

Each call is rounded up not the total.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jp47  Public's minute counter is very accurate. As mentioned seconds are rounded to the next minute so an incoming call of 1 minute and 1 second counts as two minutes.

On that plan best to purchase the 500 minute add-on for $5. Those minutes stay on your account and never expire and can be used as a backup if you go over your allotment.

jp47

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@jp47 make sure for every second you round up to the minute. I was told earlier this is how.minutes are counted. So those extra second could actually.add to additional 8 mins. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jp47 wrote:

I have the $15 plan. I just was monitoring how many minutes I have used since I have only 100 outgoing minutes to use. I checked and I had used 42 minutes since my plan renewal date and I thought that was high, so I went through my usage and counted only 34 minutes and roughly 17 seconds. Why have I lost out on 8 minutes that I haven't used?

All minutes are rounded up to the next minute.  If you use that method do you come up with 42 minutes now?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

With the $15 plan you are limited to 100 outgoing minutes. Seconds are rounded up to the closest minute. (eg. A 10 second call is rounded up to 1 minute). As well, checking your voicemail with your phone will use up outgoing minutes too. You can use another phone to check your voicemail. Dial your number and press * at the greeting. You can also purchase an add on in self service of 500 minutes for $5. The unused portion is rolled over from month to month until it is used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.