cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexico Trip

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm going on a trip to Mexico soon.  Anything special I need to do on a Public Mobile Plan.  Can I buy a Mexico Roaming Add-On?  Do I need to turn off roaming or anything like that?

5 REPLIES 5

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@smiley3 wrote:

I'm going on a trip to Mexico soon.  Anything special I need to do on a Public Mobile Plan.  Can I buy a Mexico Roaming Add-On?  Do I need to turn off roaming or anything like that?

There's nothing you need to do to your account...you won't be billed for "roaming" or anything else while you're gone.

If you're only going for a week or two...consider getting a free app like TextNow. It gets you a Cdn number and you can call and text for free as long as you have a robust wifi signal. Free wifi is in most cafes, bars and resorts in Mx nowadays.

I'm sure there's other free voip apps that are just as good but I've been using Textnow to call text/text home from Mx and it works good.

If you're going for an extended period, as suggested already by @PAULRANG18 , get a local sim and a cheap plan for around $12Cdn for 30 days. You can get one at any OXXO or Kiosko stores throughout Mx.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM has no roaming plans for Mexico therefore it's best to buy a local sim card while there. WhatsApp is available for download and provides free calling and texting to anywhere while on Wifi.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@smiley3 wrote:

@smiley3 PM has no addons for Mexico... You have to buy local SIM or use apps based on WIFI. For example, What's App, Skype, etc.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only has roaming in the US.  You could either buy a local sim or if you have access to wi-fi then you could use apps like Skype, Fongo, WhatsApp or TextNow.

Need Help? Let's chat.