cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Usage

Eliza5
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello Community,

I like my plan and there was an issue with my payment so I accidentally overpaid which shows as a credit on my account.  Not to concerned about that as it will be applied to a future monthly charge.

I am interested to know if PM has in place a low usage level discounts without changing plans?  I find that some months I will use almost to the limit and other months well below it.

Eliza5

47 REPLIES 47

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@LurganIeUk it could be valid to do so.  Say I post a question and get no response (or nothing that was remotely the answer) and I figure it out myself?  I might want to reply to let others know I no longer need help, and for a reference for anyone else in the future with the same issue or question.  In that scenario, it would be okay to mark my own reply.  When it's not okay is if one (or more) people actually replied with what ended up being the solution--they should get the credit! 

This is a Solution?

@LurganIeUk No, clearly it isn't.  I'm glad it was unmarked. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Eliza5  I've called the unsolvable topic or the solutionless thread because of the unwritten community etiquette. I've been given similar advice to @srlawren advice to you when accepting your own solution and is a valid point. If you are unsure... @Luddite regularly goes thru week or older threads and assigns solutions when the OP has not and the correct solution is in the thread. Occasionally he will give the OP the solution and explain his reasoning.

I will often post a follow up on a question as to what the solution is by way of the moderators. This can be anything from how to avoid the issue in the first place, what the fix in the account was, how pm investigated and eventually fixed the issue/glitch or who's suggestion(s) in the thread have helped me come to a solution on my own. I will then edit my original post to advise readers to see the follow up post. I've also done this when a solution has been chosen but days, weeks or even months later a better solution is presented or the glitch/ issue has been addressed by public mobile.

The following thread is an example of this.....

Spoiler

Eliza5

Yes, I marked it as a solution because @srlawren responded when I couldn't as not to sound...

What he said I feel is valid, if someone in the community is able to give a solution I accept their solution but if the community assists and we find our own solution that I also think it is valid for us to mark our own.

Eliza5

Eliza5

@LurganIeUk , yes, I didn't want to say anything before but I got my solution badge because I asked a question and with both @LurganIeUk  and @darlicious  help I was able to find my own solution and conclusion.

If course I gave them both credit as well.

Isn't that what a community is for?

Eliza5

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Just a little on/off topic. Could you have mods look into preventing this from allowing an OP accept one of their own posts as a solution? I don't  see why anyone can select THEIR post as a solution. Isn’t that a no brainer....or am I missing something?

A third party provides the platform for this.  It has been mentioned numerous times before but nothing has been actioned

@LurganIeUk it could be valid to do so.  Say I post a question and get no response (or nothing that was remotely the answer) and I figure it out myself?  I might want to reply to let others know I no longer need help, and for a reference for anyone else in the future with the same issue or question.  In that scenario, it would be okay to mark my own reply.  When it's not okay is if one (or more) people actually replied with what ended up being the solution--they should get the credit! 

This is a Solution?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Just a little on/off topic. Could you have mods look into preventing this from allowing an OP accept one of their own posts as a solution? I don't  see why anyone can select THEIR post as a solution. Isn’t that a no brainer....or am I missing something?

A third party provides the platform for this.  It has been mentioned numerous times before but nothing has been actioned

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Eliza5 Please stop marking your own post to your own question as the solution especially with all the help you receiving from the community members.  How does this post solve your question in your original post?  Do you really want that solution badge that bad?

ShawnC13_0-1585952549191.png

@ShawnC13 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Eliza5 wrote:

@ShawnC13 , No, sorry trying to accept someone else solution.  Can you remove this one.  I already got my solution badge.

Eliza5

I have removed it and the badge was from the post you marked earlier as your profile shows 0 solutions

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Eliza5

@ShawnC13 , No, sorry trying to accept someone else solution.  Can you remove this one.  I already got my solution badge.

Eliza5

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Eliza5 Please stop marking your own post to your own question as the solution especially with all the help you receiving from the community members.  How does this post solve your question in your original post?  Do you really want that solution badge that bad?

@ShawnC13 

Eliza5

@darlicious @LurganIeUk ,  Thank you both.

On my current plan I pay $25/mth X 12 months = $300

With the $15/mth + add-ons  =  $15/mth X 12 months + $25 of non-expiring add-ons = $205

So my savings with the $15/mth plan annually would be $95.  Which is a sizable amount.

Have decided still to stick to my current plan and try and get some rewards by being part of the community and helping others (although I am new and still learning).  Feel more useful this way like I actually serve a purpose in the midst of all this.

Eliza5

@Eliza5  That philosophy is perfectly fine. But I don't consider this hoarding....just bargain hunting (see rfd). I bought the butter a year ago. Especially now I'm on a tight budget. I could actually survive on the pittance the government gives welfare recipients in Vancouver ($775 total per month) without losing my non subsidized rental housing housing or relying on the food bank. Anyone whos seen my foodie pics in the lounge knows i feed myself very well. Most people choose public mobile to save money on their phone bill. I and @wetcoaster  just provided another option to save more. When I schedule my next downgrade in plan my two accounts will cost me ( -$4) per month....am I hoarding data add-ons that I bought with the reward credits I've earned by participating in the community?

@Eliza5 wrote:

@darlicious ,  I have been taught to purchase only what I need. 

During my first office job for a major retailer I did purchase 5 pencil skirts for the price of one in every color.  It was a good deal but didn't get much use out of them.

During this pandemic I have not hoarded and you all have managed to keep safe at home.

Thank you,

Eliza5

@darlicious   Said “like”. Only using a comparative suggestion. If it is something you need and will use. You must, yourself, do a cost comparison for, say, a year of what you would pay for $25 plan vs $15 plan with well managed add ons. I don’t recommend paying too far in future but the 1GB of data for $15 is a good deal to bulk buy.....how much is bulk is your decision based on your estimated needs. It never expires and likely your annual cost is lower than a postpaid 2 year contract.

Who was the major retailer?. Bulk buying some data does not compare to hoarding toilet paper. 

Eliza5

@darlicious ,  I have been taught to purchase only what I need. 

During my first office job for a major retailer I did purchase 5 pencil skirts for the price of one in every color.  It was a good deal but didn't get much use out of them.

During this pandemic I have not hoarded and you all have managed to keep safe at home.

Thank you,

Eliza5

@Eliza5  At the current price the data add on would cost $1.50 for every 100mb you would use (reg price 200mb data add on $10).... the $5/500 min add on would be 25 min =$0.25, 100 min=$1. By prepurchasing the discounted data add on you will have the ability to frugally micro manage your mobile account costs according to your current and future monthly needs. It just takes a little investment up front....like a sale at the grocery store. When extra virgin olive oil goes on sale i dont buy 1 or 2 ....I buy a case. It also explains the 30 lbs of butter in my freezer ($1/lb...score!)*

* It just sits there until I need it. Once its used up its all gone and only then do I repurchase but $1/lb is unlikely....same as the discounted $15 data add on....future discounted price is unlikely.

@Eliza5 wrote:

@LurganIeUk , you gave me something to think about. 

After some consideration I have decided to stay with my current plan.  It provides me enough flexibility and includes voicemail as well and a few other features.

Really I only need a basic plan at this time.

Always looking for ways to reduce my costs.

Looking for a new plan? Pick a ready-made plan below. You can compare it your current plan below. Before you get started, here are a few things to note:
  • The price shown will be what you pay on your plan renewal date.
  • Voicemail, Call Display, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding and Conference Calling are included in all Unlimited Talk plans.
  • When changing to a Data Plan of a different speed, you may experience a delay of up to 48 hours for the speed change to take effect. For example, if you have a 3G data plan and switch to a 4G LTE data plan, you will continue to receive 3G speeds for up to 48 hours before your new 4G LTE plan takes effect.
  • International text includes only text messages that originate from Canada.

Pick a plan

$15 for 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + 250MB AutoPay Bonus Details 

$25 for 500 MB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus Details 

Plan Details:
  • 30-day plan
  • 500 MB of data at 3G speed4
  • Bonus 500MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Eliza5

@Eliza5 I know yesterday you were asking how to get a solution.  Marking your own post to your own question is frowned upon.  Especially when someone 3 pages ago gave you the answer to your original question and many others have followed up with all your other questions but you then marked your own post as the solution.  That just doesn't seem right as there have been many helpful members here answering your question.  Your post was unmarked as the solution.

@Eliza5 wrote:

After some consideration I have decided to stay with my current plan.  It provides me enough flexibility and includes voicemail as well and a few other features.

Looking for a new plan? Pick a ready-made plan below. You can compare it your current plan below. Before you get started, here are a few things to note:
  • Voicemail, Call Display, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding and Conference Calling are included in all Unlimited Talk plans.
  • When changing to a Data Plan of a different speed, you may experience a delay of up to 48 hours for the speed change to take effect. For example, if you have a 3G data plan and switch to a 4G LTE data plan, you will continue to receive 3G speeds for up to 48 hours before your new 4G LTE plan takes effect.

Pick a plan

Plan Details:
  • 30-day plan

Eliza5

All plans come with the same features.   It is the calling and data that are the difference.

@Eliza5 wrote:

After some consideration I have decide to stay with my current plan.  It provides me enough flexibility and includes voicemail as well and a few other features.

Always looking for ways to reduce may costs.

Eliza5

Sticking with $15 account? 

Also google for your phone type....how to reduce data usage. Ie background updates to refresh on wifi only and designate what apps can use data. 

Also I only turn data on to use and then turn off. And I reset the data usage counter on my phone as each new cycle starts. 

And when you have an option to call a local number or an 800 number....call the 800 number at no cost against your minutes. 

Eliza5

Eliza5

Pick a plan

Plan Details:
  • 30-day plan

Eliza5

@Eliza5 wrote:

@LurganIeUk , $40 the 1st month and then $15/month after that.  Sounds like a good deal.

I currently have the $25/month plan.  What would I be missing out on with your deal?

Eliza5

Here they are.....you can compare based on your needs. Auto pay always gives you a benefit. The $15 plan and my add on philosophy is good for us and is only meant to be a helpful suggestion. If you are going to more often than not pay more for what you use or plan to use it is something to consider. The month to month roll over is nice!

7A127367-D60D-4C73-A2E6-8314C73A4460.jpegEE453E70-89F1-4BDB-A068-C07EF6D66D82.jpeg

@Eliza5 

You have not answered the question about your usage. 

I have a $15 plan on one of my accounts.

I use an average of 125 outgoing minutes and about 300Mb per 30 days. So the minutes of my $5 add-on decrease by 25 minutes per 30 days, so that add-on will likely last me about a year and a half. My data add-on decreases by 50Mb or so per 30 days, another 20 months or so on the 1GB add-on. So, $270 for the base plan plus (right now) $20 for the two add-ons = $290 per 18 pay cycles, or roughly $16.10/30 days for that line. (Numbers don't include any rewards.)

@gblackma wrote:

@Eliza5 If you are paying $40? Shouldn't you be getting 4.5 gigs of data with autopay?  

It should be 5GB, assuming that the person has the current version of the $40 plan. There have been plans from the past for $40 per 30 days that have different data amounts.

@Eliza5  The best thing to do ( I've done this for my back up account.) would be to take advantage of the currently discounted data add ons and purchase (2+?) to remain on your account. Any time in the future you can schedule a plan change to the $15 plan (and purchase the $5/500 min add on at that time if needed.) You can then change back to a larger data plan if you anticipate the need for a month or more....then downgrade back to the $15 plan when needed. If a plan is ever announced it will be eliminated you can schedule a plan change to it even if it's after the plans elimination date as long its submitted before said elimination date.

@Eliza5 If you go down to the $15 plan, here's a link on changing plans 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

To save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used

Eliza5

@LurganIeUk , $40 the 1st month and then $15/month after that.  Sounds like a good deal.

I currently have the $25/month plan.  What would I be missing out on with your deal?

Eliza5

@Eliza5 wrote:

@LurganIeUk, ok, but than I would be paying $40/month right? ($15 monthly plus the $25 in add-ons).

Eliza5

No.  Add ons expire when used up.  

Eliza5

@LurganIeUk, ok, but than I would be paying $40/month right? ($15 monthly plus the $25 in add-ons).

Eliza5

@Eliza5 If you are paying $40? Shouldn't you be getting 4.5 gigs of data with autopay?  

Need Help? Let's chat.