cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing my data?

jonpostman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the most expensive plan I should have 8 gigs of data and for some reason all my data had been disappearing this month. I just topped it up 2 days ago for $30 and just got a text saying 95% of my data is gone again. But when I sign into my account only half is used up. 

I dont watch any videos using data pretty much only use for maps and web surfing. 

Why is this happrning this month?

7 REPLIES 7

walmart3161
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not sure what phone you have? I have an apple xr I can go into my settings click on cellular

then scroll down to cellular data keep scrolling down to see what application seems to be eating up your data if any data usage is seen beside the app. ALSO close down any unused screens on your phone to stop them from running. i do this by swiping my finger up all screens open show up like a deck of cards. I then swipe up on the card to close it. 

I thought it was the provider before when i was running through my data but youtube and podcast running turned out to be the problem for me.

Hope this helps you 😉

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Installed apps could be using up data. Uninstall any occasionally used apps. Contact a moderator, ?, to look into it and resolve the issue.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jonpostman  There is no way that using maps and websurfing will use up 1GB of data in two days. Something else is going on. Do you have your hotspot turned on? Check your device as others have suggested to determine what's happening.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Did anything change about your phone? I reset my phone and suddenly it was using data to boost the WiFi signal and all the background data was allowed, by default my phone is setup to have world weather updated constantly. Maybe you should look into your settings. I'm on very small data so I restrict everything. You probably don't need to restrict everything but look at the apps that use most of your data and evaluate their settings. 

Tweak your data usage on the office to match your previous renewal day, if the difference is too big you should contact moderators

It will never be the same but the difference shouldn't be too big either, some system stuff and your MMS messages should account for pretty much all of the difference. Public Mobile counter was wrong before, so check just in case

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jonpostman wrote:

I have the most expensive plan I should have 8 gigs of data and for some reason all my data had been disappearing this month. I just topped it up 2 days ago for $30 and just got a text saying 95% of my data is gone again. But when I sign into my account only half is used up. 

I dont watch any videos using data pretty much only use for maps and web surfing. 

Why is this happrning this month?

Did you purchased a $30 1GB add-on?

What is the data usage line on your overview page after login?

I have a 5GB plan.  I used 3668MB out of my 5GB data.  If you don't have your 8GB usage line.  You have used all your data.  

• Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    1GB Promo
    697.544  /  1024 MB
    5GB at 3G Speed
    3668.182  /  5120 MB

Check you apps settings.  Don't allow app update using mobile data - only allow update using wifi.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's probably because of the date for the renewal isn't correct making you think you've used more this month. To fix this go to settings and then data and there should be a date selector at the top and pick the date which it renews each month, check on your account to see when you're billed.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What phone are you using?  Look in the data usage part of your phone to see what apps are using the most data.  Maybe disable background data on some apps.

Need Help? Let's chat.