cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance

jillea
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I call my boyfriends number I am told it’s a long distance call. This is new it didn’t use to do it.  We are in same province and have the same first 3 numbers and area code so shouldn’t be long distance. Even when I call him from outside the house it says long distance charges may apply

21 REPLIES 21

@jillea wrote:

Yes the call connects

Since 902916xxxx numbers are for Charlottetown, It's possible you're just far enough away that you are between a cell tower that is considered a 'local call' to Charlottetown, and another that is actually associated with a neighbouring town/rate centre. When you're inside the house your phone is not able to pick up the Charlottetown tower signal as well, and is using a tower farther away from Charlottetown, resulting in a call not being considered "local" and playing the announcement.

Take a look at this site, and see if you might be between two cell towers. In the east, Telus & Public Mobile service is provided by the blue Bell towers on the map:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

jillea

We are both in the same city. Literally 20!feet apart I was outside in the driveway and he was in the house.  But it seems to have resolved itself 

jillea

Yes the call connects

@gpixel When manually dialing, nothing is taken from the stored contact, except that a name will be shown on the screen if there is a match. The phone dials only exaclty as dialed, or as instructed to by the dialing app (ie. Dialing prefixes, autodialing a 1, etc.).

@srlawren maybe some info on the stored contact became corrupt. it would still cause an issue when dialing manually, cause the phone would go by the info that is stored on the phonebook. a restart fixes everything... jk 🤗. it's just to refresh the system.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpixel wrote:

@jillea try deleting his contact from your phonebook, restart your phone and Manually dial his number with a 1 in front of it.

@gpixel I get the suggestion of dialing manually vs. from the phonebook, but why would you need to delete the contact?  And even more baffling, what's the purpose of rebooting after deleting the contact?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@jillea wrote:

Yes my number is 902916xxxx and his is 902916xxxx so no long distance should exist I checked the site it’s a local call 

Your own phone number does not matter when determining long distance outgoing calls.

What actually matters is where you are at the time of the call and where the destination number is.

If you are not physically in/near Charlottetown, calls to Charlottetown would normally be considered long distance and you might hear the "long distance charges may apply" message.

@jillea wrote:

Yes my number is 902916xxxx and his is 902916xxxx so no long distance should exist I checked the site it’s a local call 

The fact that the both numbers start with 902-916 does not necessarily mean that the call is local. For calling from a a cell phone, CNAC wouldn't know. That site only tells you the city that the phone number is registered to.

The city of your cell phone number (that is making the outgoing call) is actually irrelevant.  You could have a cell phone number listed as being from any city and it would make no difference. The call is considered to be taking place from where you are at the time of the call.

This means that if you have travelled to another city, or even if you're connected to a cell phone tower/site that's at a different location, it's possible that these outgoing calls really are long distance.

@445935293 wrote:

Add a 1 ahead

Please note that this was suggested hours ago. In any event, this wouldn't change if this message is in error.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Add a 1 ahead

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jillea try deleting his contact from your phonebook, restart your phone and Manually dial his number with a 1 in front of it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jillea , your problem could be due to an account provisioning issue.  I suggest contacting the moderator team to see if an account reset would clear the notification.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using smartforms which is initiated by clicking on the ? on the lower right corner of the webpage or try using this link. The guided process will facilitate documentation of the issue or concern and the required resolution which will be submitted to the moderator team. Refer to this announcement link for additional details on smartforms and the ticketing system for moderator team interactions. If use of smartform brings no joy, then use the following direct link to private message the moderator team. Refer to the following knowledge base article for additional information on the moderator team.

jbcrash
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If resetting your network doesn't work (definitely try that first), switching your plan to the same plan or a similar plan may make the problem go away. The automated system may think your plan doesn't have Canada-wide minutes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jillea wrote:

I get it even with the 1-902-916 

That IS odd. I don't get the recording when I add the 1. Does the call go through anyway though?

@jillea 

That is interesting.  Possible glitch in PM system.  

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Network reset.  To see whether that solves the issue.  

jillea

I know I won’t be charged it just more so annoying me 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jillea wrote:

When I call my boyfriends number I am told it’s a long distance call. This is new it didn’t use to do it.  We are in same province and have the same first 3 numbers and area code so shouldn’t be long distance. Even when I call him from outside the house it says long distance charges will may apply

One little keyword in there of what it actually says. There are no extra charges here. Just use the 1 as mentioned for all calls in Canada.

jillea

I get it even with the 1-902-916 

jillea

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to PM @jillea FYI it's the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . Personally, I would leave it and dial 1 + 10 digit number and save it in my contacts. If it bothers you, you can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account. Stay safe. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jillea 

Ignore the warning. You will not be charged extra with Pubic mobile.  It is prepaid.  

To avoid the message, just add 1-  in front of area code in your contacts.  

Need Help? Let's chat.