cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance

woodrow1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I try to call Ontario or British Columbia on the $25.00 plan with unlimited calls across Canada keep getting long distance message and it will not dial the number?

37 REPLIES 37

jayphone

Thanks for your super detailed explanation, much appreciated (as this isn't the most intuitive site, and as mentioned, I'm going a little crazy).  Cheers!

@jayphone Since nothing worked contact a moderator and ask them to reset your SIM. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

jayphone

Tried both those things now, no luck... starting to go a little crazy because with covid I absolutely need phone access. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jayphone wrote:

Tried that, twice.  Still not working, it's been a couple hours since I upgraded plan.  

Also it charged me full $25 instead of upgrade from my $15 plan, wasn't sure if that was normal or not but since I'll be making a bunch of calls this month didn't want to mess around with more $5 add-on's.  

That's normal. There're no refunds or pro-rating here. If you do an immediate plan change then you stop your previous plan and start a new one.

Two things to try:
1. Try the lost/stolen feature.
Log in to self-serve. Plan & Add-Ons from top menu. Lost/Stolen Phone from next menu. Suspend Service button. Log out. Wait a few minutes. Log back in and back to Lost/Stolen Phone and Resume Service this time. Log out. Restart phone.
See what happens.

2. Manually add $1 into your account and restart the phone.

jayphone

Tried that, twice.  Still not working, it's been a couple hours since I upgraded plan.  

Also it charged me full $25 instead of upgrade from my $15 plan, wasn't sure if that was normal or not but since I'll be making a bunch of calls this month didn't want to mess around with more $5 add-on's.  

@jayphone  try restarting your phone. Turn it off, wait 30 seconds and restart it. 

jayphone

Me too (I think similar issue).  

I'm in Ontario, trying to call Ontario (or just my voicemail) and it says sorry, long distance calls not in your plan and can't make this call.  I thought I had minutes left from an add on still for LD, and it's a bit unclear whether they've run out or not so just in case I switched plans to $25 about an hour ago.. maybe it's just taking time to come in?  (so maybe my issue isn't quite the same if that's the source of my problem). 

moalkhatib

just forget about it no charges incurred

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Apparently these area codes have higher charges to call into them. 

Not "Area Codes" but Exchanges within Area Codes. Or NPA-NXX.

AE_Collector

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma wrote:

Are these all the secret area numbers @iPhoneUser ? 🤔

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Are you referring to this? 

Talk option required. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons OR U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881.

Not secret. Is on PM website. Apparently these area codes have higher charges to call into them. 

Are these all the secret area numbers @iPhoneUser ? 🤔

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Talk option required. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons OR U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881.

No 205, only 905 and 705.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@woodrow1 , I am on the west coast, and we have so many different area codes, it isn't funny anymore. Besides the standard 604, 250, we also have 778, 236, and 672!

Just remember to dial it as 1-604-555-5555.

Granted, Ontario has more than us though! 

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.42.30 PM.png

iPhoneUser

turky

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@turky wrote:

Just so everyone is clear, the cross canada calling plans give you calls to all of Canada with a few exceptions so you should not have to have an addon to call . If you are trying to call the US as the op was (in error) it will be a long distance call with added charges

Hi what exceptions are there from calling within Canada?

I thought there were a few area codes that were not covered by the cross Canada plans but I am not sure which ones.

turky

@gblackma 

In one of your first posts you said that an addon was required and I wanted to clarify so that people wern't confused.Sorry if I made it more confusing.

iPhoneUser

@turky wrote:

Just so everyone is clear, the cross canada calling plans give you calls to all of Canada with a few exceptions so you should not have to have an addon to call . If you are trying to call the US as the op was (in error) it will be a long distance call with added charges

Hi what exceptions are there from calling within Canada?

@woodrow1 wrote:

Thanks a Smiley Surprisedlot your solutions woke me up to the fact that I didn't check the area codes to closely before entering entering them into my phone.

So, out of curiosity, were you also transposing digits, when calling the intended ON number, like you did with the intended BC number(205 vs. 250)?

@turky There are no additional or long distance charges on PM.  Fyi the call from Canada to the US will only work If you are on one of the grandfathered hybrid US plans,  the current $50 plan, the $8 US Canada 200 minute or the $15, 400 minute international add ons. If you don't have one of these, the call will not be completed.

@turky wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Maybe it's a typo.  Area code 250 is BC.  In the past some account would encounter provisioning problems that affected the calling feature.  The moderator team is required to do an account reset to fix the issue.  This has by and large been irradiated with all plans having Canada wide calling.  Province wide calling used to be the norm and each account is provisioned based on the area code of the number in the account.  It's a lot cleaner today.

Speaking of typos! 😉  Did you maybe intend to use, "eradicated"? 🤔 

turky

woodrow1

Everything is great now that I'm aware of the error I made.Thanks for everything

woodrow1

Thanks a Smiley Surprisedlot your solutions woke me up to the fact that I didn't check the area codes to closely before entering entering them into my phone.

@Jb456 wrote:

@gblackma  read his first post. When he trys to call Ontario or British Columbia. 

You asked him what area code he is dialing.

He wrote 205

205 is an Alabama area code in USA.

Clearly this has nothing to do with a USA add-on.

Likely he has the area code wrong of who he is trying to reach in Ontario or British Columbia. closest area code to what he wrote is in British Columbia which is 250.

Maybe it's a typo.  Area code 250 is BC.  In the past some account would encounter provisioning problems that affected the calling feature.  The moderator team is required to do an account reset to fix the issue.  This has by and large been irradiated with all plans having Canada wide calling.  Province wide calling used to be the norm and each account is provisioned based on the area code of the number in the account.  It's a lot cleaner today.

I agree @Jb456 I blanked out any 👍reference to the 2 add ons . My post is now blank.  Check for yourself.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma  read his first post. When he trys to call Ontario or British Columbia. 

You asked him what area code he is dialing.

He wrote 205

205 is an Alabama area code in USA.

Clearly this has nothing to do with a USA add-on.

Likely he has the area code wrong of who he is trying to reach in Ontario or British Columbia. closest area code to what he wrote is in British Columbia which is 250.

iPhoneUser

GOOD Buy...less per min. 

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

==

NOT SO GOOD Buy.....more per min. 

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

==

Both add ons carry over month to month. 

But no doubt as @Jb456 says.....likely has twisted numbers. Means 250 not 205. 

. @woodrow1 are you currently in Canada or the US?

@gblackma wrote:

You would need  the either the $8 200 minute US Canada add on or the $15 400 minute international add on to call there @woodrow1 

@gblackma  I think that will just confuse him about the add-on 200 mins.....he said in his first post calling Ontario and British Columbia. 

Need Help? Let's chat.