cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance charge may apply!

shafik_ete
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am using special offer of $25 per 30 Days which includes unlimited Canada-wide Talk. Now, when I am going to call to different province inside Canada, an announcement says Long distance charge may apply!

Why does it come?

Will I be charged for out of province call having my $25 per 30 Days active?

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsmyth wrote:

Is there a way to disable this ANNOYING message?

@jsmyth 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,

for Example long distance, Add (+1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,
1416xxxxxxx,
or
+1416xxxxxxx,
both is will going through your call...

Good luck and enjoy the service

jsmyth

thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsmyth : Yes...add a 1 in front of all your contact numbers and add it when manually dialing.

Edit: lol

@jsmyth 

@jsmyth wrote:

Dial 1 before the area code when dialing out.  That should remove this annoying message. You can also add 1 to the phone numbers on your contact list

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Warning-Long-Distance-Charges-May-...

jsmyth

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shafik_ete ya this automated message is annoying, but don't worry, just let the call go through.  You won't lose any money or anything.  If you for example tried calling a USA number on this plan then that call will not go through at all because that plan does not offer USA calls, but the plan you're on now allows Canada Wide so once that automated message is finished, just stay on the line and don't hang-up, it'll connect you immediately afterwards, and don't worry about the "additional charges may apply" part, it technically won't apply.  

I get this all the time too, I just ignore that message and let the call go through.

Think back to landline calling plans.  A local call can be dialled as a 10 digit number.  So can a long-distance plan, and the system will convert for you (with that message each time).  To stop the message put +1 in your contact list for all North American phone numbers, or manually dial 1 for any call which normally wouldn't be considered local.

Note Public Mobile doesn't have 'local' call plans, the minimum is Province Wide, which can still have actual long-distance calls.

For example a Toronto to Toronto call is Local, however, a Toronto cellphone out of province calling to Toronto is long distance.  Call to a number outside of Toronto (even still in Ontario) would also be a long-distance call for most numbers in Toronto.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Understand it's confusing. But you're on prepaid, so if the call wasn't possible through your plan, the call wouldn't even go through at all.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@shafik_ete , as noted the long distance charges will not be applied because the plan in effect includes Canada wide long distance calling.  The warning is generally given to notify customers that their add-on minutes may be debited for a call.  Being a prepaid service, there will never be new charges.  Only pre-purchased service will be consumed.  

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

NO you will not be charged.   Just forget the message   ignore it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shafik_ete 

Add a 1 in front of your numbers. In contacts too. If your call goes through (and it should) then it's just a legacy hold-over from days of yore.

Need Help? Let's chat.