cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Call — Options

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

A hypothetical question!

Say, if I've already purchased a long distance add-on of 500 Minutes to China, Hong Kong etc, for $15, and need to make a call to the US, do I have both or only one of the options below?

1. Call US without purchasing a new add-on of the US. Doing so will indeed make my call expensive, that is @ 3 cents/min.
  2. Call US after purchasing another add-on for the US, that is 1000 Minutes to the U.S. for $15 — a cheaper option @ 1.5 cents/min.

I ask because purchasing additional add-ons for an odd call may not always be time & cost-effective. 

12 REPLIES 12

sa7375

Thank you @will13am @Anonymous @Luddite @HALIMACS @dabr  for your time, views and tips.

It seems amply clear that there is no published policy regulating which and in what order will add-ons be used if more than one exists on one’s account.

Considering that the subject doesn’t require any more time than it has already consumed, I’ll close it accepting @will13am as the solution. 

Best wishes

@sa7375    You can read this thread where @Jb456 and I tested how some of the add-ons were being treated and didn't find that PM had a hard and fast rule on it except for for the "last added, first used" rule seems to only apply for international mins.  I only tested for calling out to one of European country that was on the list.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Order-of-usage-for-add-ons/m-p/623882#M...

@sa7375 You can double check but I think there is no longer any overlap between the long distance add-ons, so going forward what you see is what you get. As far as the add-ons currently in your account they will be used for all listed countries even though no longer offered. 

More specifically, if you have an old 400/500 minute add-on that covered Canada, US and others it will be used when you call USA & Canada even though mre expensive than the current offers. I have 2 in this category:

$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
18  /  400 MIN
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 500min INTL Long Distance incl CA & US
0  /  500 MIN

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sa7375

@HALIMACS 

Spot on! Your suggestion on "ask the moderators" is valid, but I wanted the community to weigh in before going that route. I'll give it another day or so before asking the moderators for obtaining an official word. Thanks again.

@sa7375 

Indeed - you're in a good situation when you have more than one add-on which could qualify for calling to other countries.

Certainly no need to post anything from your account here - you seem to have things well understood.

What you may want to do is ask the moderators in what order of preference the add-ons are drawn from when more than one could be applicable for the destination country. 

sa7375

@HALIMACS wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've been here a while...did you pick up the gifts from the last couple Xmas's? Have you used them all up already?

But also, the beauty of the add-ons for this place, as you probably also know, are that they stay on your account until consumed.

My dear @Anonymous. Thank you for reminding me of my add-ons from Xmas. Yes, I still have some of that. 😄

I have no doubt whatsoever that add-ons will stay on my account till consumed. My question is if I can or cannot make a call to a country that has a cheaper rate from a more expensive add-on that I already own. The objective is to avoid purchase many add-ons unnecessarily for an odd call.

This is a good question, and I understand your point, @sa7375 

You're trying to maximize the benefit of gifted and purchased add-on's to avoid having to purchase additional add-ons for limited calling to certain countries.

Can you screenshot your Data and Add-On's section so we can see which calling add-ons you DO have so we can confirm?   It'll look like this:

HALIMACS_0-1617918422066.png

I like @Luddite idea of just using a web-based calling app if only irregular calling to the US.

Thank you@HALIMACS. Indeed, you got my question right. 

I would have no reservations posting a screenshot of my current add-ons, but it would serve no purpose because I'm currently well stocked in my international minutes. Essentially, it's a hypothetical question for the future when my current stock of international minutes is consumed  — that is, looking ahead for my options when I have to purchase a new add-on

@sa7375 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've been here a while...did you pick up the gifts from the last couple Xmas's? Have you used them all up already?

But also, the beauty of the add-ons for this place, as you probably also know, are that they stay on your account until consumed.

My dear @Anonymous. Thank you for reminding me of my add-ons from Xmas. Yes, I still have some of that. 😄

I have no doubt whatsoever that add-ons will stay on my account till consumed. My question is if I can or cannot make a call to a country that has a cheaper rate from a more expensive add-on that I already own. The objective is to avoid purchase many add-ons unnecessarily for an odd call.

This is a good question, and I understand your point, @sa7375 

You're trying to maximize the benefit of gifted and purchased add-on's to avoid having to purchase additional add-ons for limited calling to certain countries.

Can you screenshot your Data and Add-On's section so we can see which calling add-ons you DO have so we can confirm?   It'll look like this:

HALIMACS_0-1617918422066.png

I like @Luddite idea of just using a web-based calling app if only irregular calling to the US.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sa7375 : When the new $5 add-on arrived it didn't get used in proper order. They fixed it. But check which bucket a call comes out of to see.

sa7375

@Anonymous wrote:

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@sa7375  To call USA check out TextNow; free calling using wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sa7375 , it used to work that way.  I believe the add-on minutes cover only the countries as listed.  You need to buy more add-ons but save on the call.  

Need Help? Let's chat.