cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Texting plan

Greenphase
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I asked the question to chatbot simon if the $20 plan includes outgoing text and the reply was that "All Public Mobile plans have Unlimited texting, so text away"

This is so mis-leading.

Based on this I have selected the $20 plan which does not have texting.

I find the plans very confusing. For e.g the $25 plan says 

• Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

I'm more interested in local texting. So does this plan have unlimited local texting...

If this plan has local texting, I would like to change to the $25 plan. Is there a way to do this? I have activated my account today...

Also on my Samsung S5, it says Network locked SIM card inserted. Is there a way to bypass this.

Thanks a lot for the help.

12 REPLIES 12

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Ann_H wrote:

Thanks so much for these clarifications. SolvesmSolves confusion also. The wording is very confusing when they single out 'international'  

They actually mean global. This has been brought up many times, but Public Mobiel does not seem to be in any hurry to change this wording.

@computergeek541 honestly, I think "global" would be just as confusing as "international". For many customers, these will read like synonyms, and think it means "anywhere I go on the globe".

I'm not sure about that. International means a different country, but not in the case of Public Mobile. I do wonder if the choice of words could be deliberate so that customer don't think that roaming is included when it isn't. But yes, the same problem exists with either word.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Ann_H wrote:

Thanks so much for these clarifications. SolvesmSolves confusion also. The wording is very confusing when they single out 'international'  

They actually mean global. This has been brought up many times, but Public Mobiel does not seem to be in any hurry to change this wording.

@computergeek541 honestly, I think "global" would be just as confusing as "international". For many customers, these will read like synonyms, and think it means "anywhere I go on the globe".

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Ann_H wrote:

@Ann_H wrote:

As long as you're in Canada, you can send and receive texts to/from anywhere on this planet.

Once you leave Canada...your PM phone features will stop working. If you go to US you can get a 10 Day talk/text/data add-on...but anywhere else and the phone won't work on PM network.

Ann_H
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Greenphase all plans that say "Unlimited International Texting" mean you can text anywhere, including locally.  PM does not offer local texting only, they provide "all you can text" Smiley LOL

Although the chatbox made the error, which is not good at all, but why would you rely soley on the chatbox.  The $20 plan clearly says "DATA ONLY", and all the other plans that have text options clearly say "UNLIMITED INTERNATIONAL TEXT".  It's kind of like saying I'm choosing that same $20 plan for local calls, ummmm it doesn't say anything about calls, only data, so don't choose that plan if it doesn't say anything about calling or texting features.

Greenphase

Thank you all. It solves my problem.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As others have mentioned, "Network locked SIM card" probably means that you need to get the unlock code from your previous provider (that should be easy, I got it from both Fido and Rogers through their online chat support, it takes like 30 seconds - you just tell them you switched to another provider and need the unlock code - they'll ask you for your phone's IMEI number). After you get the unlock code, you might need to restart your phone with the SIM card inserted to get it to give you the prompt to enter the unlock code.

MacMe

@Greenphase wrote:

When I asked the question to chatbot simon if the $20 plan includes outgoing text and the reply was that "All Public Mobile plans have Unlimited texting, so text away"

This is so mis-leading.

I'm more interested in local texting. So does this plan have unlimited local texting...

If this plan has local texting, I would like to change to the $25 plan. Is there a way to do this? I have activated my account today...

I  tried asking the chatbot about the $20 plan and got the same answer, which is wrong.  Public Mobile probably hasn't updated the chatbot answers in awhile. 

The $20 plan does not include texting.  I would send a private message to Moderator_Team and tell them that chatbot gave you the wrong answer and ask them if they can switch your plan.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Greenphase, you need to go back to the source carrier for the S5 and ask them for the SIM unlock code.  Per the wireless code, there should be no cost to obtain the code.  The SIM lock must be removed in order to use the phone on this network.

smp99

If a PM plan includes texting then it is unlimited both local and international EXCEPT the $10 50/50 plan which only includes 50 outgoing texts. 

The SIM lock message may indicate your phone is locked to another provider. Where or what plan was your A5 last used?

Ba

@Greenphase wrote:

This is so mis-leading.

Also on my Samsung S5, it says Network locked SIM card inserted. Is there a way to bypass this.

Thanks a lot for the help.

1) "Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging" includes local texting. In short, treat it as unlimited texting, be it local or international. They say "international" to make it clear that the unlimited text applies not only to "local" but "international" as well.

2) If you have already activated your SIM, you should not see "Network locked SIM card inserted". The only reason I can think of is that your SIM has not been activated. I'm not sure if it has anything to do your your phone being unlocked or not. Other members may be able to help you.

Need Help? Let's chat.