cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited talk minutes & voicemail

MommaBear
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,  Is it possible to have the voicemail system not be part of the "limited talk"?  My husband checked his voicemail (2 messages) and 2 minutes came out of his 50 minute plan.  I would think that would be free?  It's not a huge deal, but it just seems like that should not be chargeable minutes?   Just my thoughts..  Oh, btw, did I mention I love PM?  lol

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeFriend wrote:

Something I like doing when accessing my voicemail is dialing the access number from a landline (if you still keep one around) or via a VoIP app like Fongo or Textnow.  

If you dial the access number directly, your not dialing your mobile and won’t get charged for it.  I got the access number from the usage history in self serve but your phone may have it as well, but any Telus voicemail access number will work.  

I believe there’s a list somewhere here but I can’t find it right now..

This works up until you call that access number from a Telus/Koodo/PM (probably cell-only - maybe land - line). Then it senses that this is a voicemail-able line and either asks for a password or goes straight in depending on settings. So it's just as well to call your cell number and press * at the greeting as mentioned from another phone.

@MommaBear wrote:

Hi,  Is it possible to have the voicemail system not be part of the "limited talk"?  My husband checked his voicemail (2 messages) and 2 minutes came out of his 50 minute plan.  I would think that would be free?  It's not a huge deal, but it just seems like that should not be chargeable minutes?   Just my thoughts..  Oh, btw, did I mention I love PM?  lol

All carriers consider checking your voice messages to be regular outgoing airtime.  This has become less of an issue of late because many cell phone plans now have unlimited minutes, but this practice has not changed.

@SomeFriend wrote:

Something I like doing when accessing my voicemail is dialing the access number from a landline (if you still keep one around) or via a VoIP app like Fongo or Textnow.  

If you dial the access number directly, your not dialing your mobile and won’t get charged for it.  I got the access number from the usage history in self serve but your phone may have it as well, but any Telus voicemail access number will work.  

area code + 580-4001

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MommaBear wrote:

PM does not charge minutes for your caller to leave a voice mail.  You will be charged minutes  to retrieve messages from your voice.  But you can use landline to retrieve message without charge to your PM plan.

You can setup your long absent message and do not let your caller to leave voice messages.  This is a round about way to disable your voice mail.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MommaBear wrote:

@MommaBear You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@MommaBear wrote:

You won't get charged for voicemail messages if you don't retrieve the voicemail messages, so next time if you don't recognize the number just ignore the voicemail.

Also you can add the 500 Canada wide minutes for $5 as an add-on that will stay on your account until used up (won't expire monthly).

Need Help? Let's chat.