cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Data Plans with No Overages

ivandub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I've been reading about Telus and other providers offering large data plans on the order of 10 GB or more with no overages...you get throttled if you go over but don't have to pay for additional data. The prices look fairly attractive, too. I wonder if Public Mobile will be offering similar plans in order to stay competitive? Otherwise, I might just be tempted to switch as I use my phone as my sole access to the Internet in a remote location.

20 REPLIES 20

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Stonk wrote:

Everyone is hung up on Netflix that was just a comparison to show capped or not I could still stream to stop the people that say capped is pointless and can't do anything.

The actual question was why is the price so high for data

1gig data 30 bucks.

Or

Makes no sense, I am just going to sign up again why would anyone do anything different

Sorry, I took your original question at face value. But yea, I totally agree. Data prices in Canada are crazy. I'm hoping the competition will drive it down, but I'm not really holding my breath.

I think the only good thing about the add-on data is that anything you don't use up gets rolled over to the following months, so it has a small benefit if you are a light data user, but it's pretty pointless if you want to use it for streaming videos. 

Stonk

Everyone is hung up on Netflix that was just a comparison to show capped or not I could still stream to stop the people that say capped is pointless and can't do anything.

The actual question was why is the price so high for data

1gig data 30 bucks.

Or

Makes no sense, I am just going to sign up again why would anyone do anything different

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Stonk wrote:

Ok if I ditch netflix does the cost to purchase a 1 gig add on for 30 dollars change, to a more realistic cost

The cost of the 1 gig data add-on isn't going to change if you stop using Netflix. Public Mobile doesn't care which site you use your data on, the data is charged the same on all sites. It's just your data will get used a lot faster if you stream videos while using data. If you have access to wifi and enough space on your device, download your programs in advance so you can watch them later without wasting your data allotment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stonk wrote:

Ok if I ditch netflix does the cost to purchase a 1 gig add on for 30 dollars change, to a more realistic cost

The lol at the end of RossN's post would suggest tongue firmly planted in cheek. 🙂

So..no.

@Stonk wrote:

Looking at the same thing I used to have 75 dollar plan 10gig limit then speed reduced. But even at the slower speed I could still watch Netflix. 

I have burned through my 5gig on PM. for an add on they want 30 bucks for another gig. this works out way more money than my previous tier one supplier. It's cheaper just to ditch the sim and start again 

@Stonk  If your data requirements per 30 days is 10+ GB you are using the wrong provider. Why are you still here?

I would suggest downloading on wi-fi for tv shows and movies if you have the space to conserve your data.

My brother who lives in the US has unlimited data which he will never give up.  We have limited competition in Canada and pay so much more for cell service compared to other countries.

Stonk

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I would ditch netflix first lol

Stonk

Looking at the same thing I used to have 75 dollar plan 10gig limit then speed reduced. But even at the slower speed I could still watch Netflix. 

I have burned through my 5gig on PM. for an add on they want 30 bucks for another gig. this works out way more money than my previous tier one supplier. It's cheaper just to ditch the sim and start again 

@postitnotequeen wrote:

Like others have said, it is probably unlikely. I love PM for offering much more affordable rates for phone service/data. I don't need 10GB of data though personally so the big name companies offers is not tempting to me! 🙂 

Bingo!  Drop the price to $40 for 10GB, I might hop over for 'future ready data increased use), or, offer me $15 with 4 GB 'unlimited' data (preferably not throttled).

My cousin in England has a 17 Pound plan for 22 GB monthly.  Canadian prices are insane!

postitnotequeen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Like others have said, it is probably unlikely. I love PM for offering much more affordable rates for phone service/data. I don't need 10GB of data though personally so the big name companies offers is not tempting to me! 🙂 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ivandub wrote:

My download speeds are pretty slow already so I'm used to that. The alternative now is I have to pay $30 for each additional GB if I go over my plan's limit.

@ivandub "pretty slow already" and you are being limited currently to 3 Mbps (Megabits per second).  Telus's throttled rate on their new unlimited plan is 512 Kbps (Kilobits per second), while Bell and Rogers is half of that at 256 Kbps (Kilobits per second).  

The Telus 512 Kbps speed is ONE SIXTH your current 3Mbps speed with Public Mobile.  This means everything that's currently "pretty slow" would be "SIX TIMES SLOWER than your current pretty slow" once the unlimited throttle kicked in.  Bell and Rogers unlimited thorttled speed is half of Telus, meaning your "pretty slow" would become "TWELVE TIMES SLOWERthan your current pretty slow" once the unlimited throttle kicked in.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ivandub

My download speeds are pretty slow already so I'm used to that. The alternative now is I have to pay $30 for each additional GB if I go over my plan's limit.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@ivandub wrote:

So, I've been reading about Telus and other providers offering large data plans on the order of 10 GB or more with no overages...you get throttled if you go over but don't have to pay for additional data. The prices look fairly attractive, too. I wonder if Public Mobile will be offering similar plans in order to stay competitive? Otherwise, I might just be tempted to switch as I use my phone as my sole access to the Internet in a remote location.

This could change nothing.  Public competitors doing this long ago but no response by them.  Do you really want the slow speed of throttle?

migisanny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

To be honest the prices are going to be higher than public mobile and there will always be increase in prices for those types of services. Plus, when the normal speed decreases it is almost impossible to use the interent, lags mainly just emailing. Additinally no perks included, that public mobile includes. 

lockej

I would be sure to read the fine print to ensure that these are not just limited time discounts and then they hit you with an increase 6 months in.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

travisjdm

I was wondering the same today and stumbled upon your posting. In all honesty, as others have stated, I don't forsee PM offering anything comparable based on their service model. I am still pleased with the tiered packages as they are, but I too would like to see some competitiveness in light of the newer offerings from the major providers.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

good luck it's your money

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ivandub wrote:

The parent companies might want to keep it where it is the top tier only offering this.  So if you want that much data you need to be with top tier provider and not on their lower tiers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.