cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE

tianamkaichan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it normal that my data constantly switches from 3G to LTE? Not complaining because it’s obviously better than 3G, just curious.

thanks friends!

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Missteee wrote:

when I wanted to come back it kept saying that it was 3G, so I wouldn't sign back up.

@Missteee Public Mobile discontinued all* of the full-speed/LTE plans a couple of months ago and now only offer "3G" speed plans.  They call it 3G but as noted by previous responders, it's actually delivered over LTE but throttled artificially to 3Mbps (up and down).  

* technically you can still get a non-throttled "LTE" speed plan, but there is only one to choose from, and it's a $30 / 30 days for 1GB of full-speed data and nothing else.  Data-only, 1GB for $30.  Not. Very. Good.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Just "3Mbps 4G LTE" would be a good description... or "4G LTE @ 3G Speed" if they want to be a little more ambiguous...

But real 3G (HSPA) is usually faster than 3Mbps. 🙂 usually up to 10mbps for me.

@Missteee wrote:

I would 100% agree that they are, I left public mobile, and then when I wanted to come back it kept saying that it was 3G, so I wouldn't sign back up. I definitely think there needs to be more inormation

your first post in so many years is about 3G in public mobile?  

where did you go for your cell usage?

Missteee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would 100% agree that they are, I left public mobile, and then when I wanted to come back it kept saying that it was 3G, so I wouldn't sign back up. I definitely think there needs to be more inormation

@GinYVR wrote:

@sheytoonHonestly I think that's the intention. Most people who think they want LTE will then move to Koodo (1 tier up). Since this 3G thing is an industry wide phenomenon I can't see Public Mobile change unless the other 2 networks change.

Public Mobile still offers LTE on all plans, 3G speed plans are throttled on the LTE network.  Chatr and Lucky were previously REAL 3G offerings, but are now both the same as Public Mobile in throttling the data.

The fact that PM continues to advertise as 3G, and not as LTE throttled to 3G is what is the reason some subscribers continue, as do new or interested subscribers, to associate PM with 3G plans.

Marketing continues to advertise an untruth.

@sheytoonHonestly I think that's the intention. Most people who think they want LTE will then move to Koodo (1 tier up). Since this 3G thing is an industry wide phenomenon I can't see Public Mobile change unless the other 2 networks change.

@Alan_K I've personally had friends who will not sign up with Public Mobile because they think it will be 3G. No matter how much explaining I did, it wasn't enough to convince them.

You're actually losing some customers because of this.

@srlawren wrote:

@tianamkaichan wrote:

Ohhhhhhh-k! I did not understand...thanks!

@Alan_K Your thrrottled data plan offering has confused yet another customer.  I'm going to keep tagging you until your team renames these plans to something less confusing than "3G".  Thank you.

At the risk of being accused of thread crapping in a thread that already has a solution, I am going to offer a second solution.  Chatr was first to market "3G" data plans.  In a monopoly situation, the way to compete is to match, not exceed the competition.  Any other label might create the impression of an attempt to offer a better "quality" product, in other words a real attempt to compete.  Nobody wants that.  Tag all you want, there's something that needs to freeze first, otherwise this will continue to fall on deaf ears.

@srlawren wrote:

@tianamkaichan wrote:

@Alan_K Your thrrottled data plan offering has confused yet another customer.  I'm going to keep tagging you until your team renames these plans to something less confusing than "3G".  Thank you.

@Alan_K, I too am frustrated by the marketing of these plans.  Confusion around this is ongoing, and as a result, some community members continue to provide incorrect information when trying to help new subscribers.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tianamkaichan wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tianamkaichan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@tianamkaichanYes it is normal.. LTE is limited to 3Mbps so 3G like speed.

Need Help? Let's chat.