cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE light (aka 3G speed) and WhatsApp calls?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

So, with that tempting promo out there I'm considering making the jump up from my talk & text only plan, for which I have a data add-on which is on full LTE. I use WhatsApp (and with one particular person Skype) over data to connect with contacts overseas.

Does anyone have recent experience with call quality of WhatsApp calls over Public Mobile's "3G" data (What I prefer to call LTE light)?

My understanding is that the latency is more important than speed for VOIP (which would put PM at an advantage over a "true 3G" carrier). I also acknowledge that there are many factors influencing data transmission, including but not limited to: phone, tower density and orientation, conjestion etc.

What I'm after is some real life experiences that help me in my decision making. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

10 REPLIES 10

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster wrote:

As mentioned, I'm in the process of reconsidering my data needs and part of that is whether LTE light gives me a stable enough experience with WhatsApp calls, which is my medium of choice to keep in touch with friends overseas.

My apologies thought it was a question about the general speeds. Online searches seem to show whatsapp calls " requires 8 Kbps (minimum) and 64 Kbps+ for better voice clarity ."

Think your way beyond that. However I cant speak from experience though

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@wetcoaster, get back to me when you test it out and let me know how it goes.

GC 

I will.

Might even go and boldly future date to the $40 plan - which comes down to $15/4GB for my trial, versus $20/250MB (plus additional SIM). Since I'm on a regular priced plan right now I can always switch back to that if it doesn't work out (ie I don't loose another promo price by switching to this one).

@torontokris wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@wetcoaster

Perhaps you'll find useful this comparison of a WhatsApp video call using 3G vs 4G, courtesy of @srlawren (click the Youtube link lower in the post).  I believe that video was taken at the time when the 3G speed was capped at 2.5Mbps.  The speed limit of 3G plans has since been raised to 3Mbps, so the WhatsApp experience could even be somewhat better than seen in that video.

You may find the rest of that thread to be useful reading on 3G data experience as well.

Thanks, @SD08. I had already gone back to that thread, but wondered about other people's experience in more recent times.

Only one way to find out, I guess: Hoofing down to Walmart and try to get a SIM from them and activate that $20 250MB data plan. That way I still have my full LTE data add-on on my main account to fall back on, if the quality is making those calls too painful - totally not interested in going back to hacked up conversations that drop every 10 minutes, which is what I experienced on true 3G on the Rogers network 9 out of 10 times (very similar signal strength between Rogers and Telus networks where I am).

I have no issues with calls on the 3G network of PM/Bell/Telus. Calls are great. I had both a non-lte phone & now a LTE phone that drops to 3G when making calls. Let us know how it goes

@torontokris

Thanks for your reply, but... It feels like you didn't get what I was asking... 

I have been with Public Mobile for well over a year and use the service for business purposes (no snarky / disapproving comments about that needed - I made that decision very consciously after considering my options for literally months) I would not be with this service if I had problems with call quality.

As mentioned, I'm in the process of reconsidering my data needs and part of that is whether LTE light gives me a stable enough experience with WhatsApp calls, which is my medium of choice to keep in touch with friends overseas.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@wetcoaster

Perhaps you'll find useful this comparison of a WhatsApp video call using 3G vs 4G, courtesy of @srlawren (click the Youtube link lower in the post).  I believe that video was taken at the time when the 3G speed was capped at 2.5Mbps.  The speed limit of 3G plans has since been raised to 3Mbps, so the WhatsApp experience could even be somewhat better than seen in that video.

You may find the rest of that thread to be useful reading on 3G data experience as well.

Thanks, @SD08. I had already gone back to that thread, but wondered about other people's experience in more recent times.

Only one way to find out, I guess: Hoofing down to Walmart and try to get a SIM from them and activate that $20 250MB data plan. That way I still have my full LTE data add-on on my main account to fall back on, if the quality is making those calls too painful - totally not interested in going back to hacked up conversations that drop every 10 minutes, which is what I experienced on true 3G on the Rogers network 9 out of 10 times (very similar signal strength between Rogers and Telus networks where I am).

I have no issues with calls on the 3G network of PM/Bell/Telus. Calls are great. I had both a non-lte phone & now a LTE phone that drops to 3G when making calls. Let us know how it goes

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster, get back to me when you test it out and let me know how it goes.

GC 

@GreatCanadian wrote:

Hi, 

I don't use WhatsApp, but I do use Skype and Google Duo. I find that both work extremely well. 

GC 

Thanks for sharing, @GreatCanadian!

@SD08 wrote:

@wetcoaster

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wetcoaster

GreatCanadian

Forgot to add  yes I'm on 3g  

GC 

GreatCanadian

Hi, 

I don't use WhatsApp, but I do use Skype and Google Duo. I find that both work extremely well. 

GC 

Need Help? Let's chat.