cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Re: LTE Data Option

@PlanShopperIf you have some data left on your plan, just set your phone to 3G and do a speed test, then put it back to LTE and do another speed test.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PlanShopper, YMMV...

I have done testing here and there in the Ottawa Valley, city and rural areas. It really depends on which tower you are near, there are times that I've found the capped LTE connection is faster than unthrottled 3G.

I have never seen the 20-30 mbps that @RobertQc mentioned, but can say consistently (with strong reception) in the 10-15 mbps (download) and 1.5 - 3mbps (upload).

PlanShopper
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I appreciate all the info, thanks for sharing all the data.  I'm just really surprised that this works this way, but also happy.  

Now I just have to confirm I have actual 3G coverage where I'll be moving to and then switch.  I can get my wife to test next time we're there.

We currently live outside of Ottawa, but will be moving to an hour east of Orillia.  The only coverage there is from Bell/Rogers, but this shouldn't be a problem as far as reception.  We also have limited coverage where we'll be, so I have to get a booster as well.  This is the whole reason for having backup internet...rural living.

Thanks for the info!

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One more point...I usually find upload speeds are faster with a throttled LTE connection compared to 3G...

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@hzmy wrote:

I got different results though.

LTE speedLTE speed

3G network speed3G network speed

@hzmyThere are many factors involved with both latency and speed. Weather, time of day, network congestion, trees in the area, how far you are from towers, if its sunny, etc.

If you are on a 3G plan and you connect to LTE you are throttled.

If you are on a 3G plan and you connect at 3G you are not throttled.

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

LTE speedLTE speed

@hzmyThere are many factors involved with both latency and speed. Weather, time of day, network congestion, trees in the area, how far you are from towers, if its sunny, etc.

I am on 3G plan.

PlanShopper
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@RobertQc

Do you mind if I ask your whereabouts?  Obviously not specifics, but are you in the downtown core of a major center (MTL?), or on the outskirts, rural etc?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@PlanShopper wrote:

@RobertQc

Do you mind if I ask your whereabouts?  Obviously not specifics, but are you in the downtown core of a major center (MTL?), or on the outskirts, rural etc?

@PlanShopperRight outside of a major city.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@hzmy wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

LTE speedLTE speed

I am on 3G plan.

@hzmy

Exactly, so connecting at 3G got you 16, where connecting to LTE (with your 3g plan) got you 3

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

LTE speedLTE speed

I am on 3G plan.

@hzmy

Exactly, so connecting at 3G got you 16, where connecting to LTE (with your 3g plan) got you 3

Yup this is what I am expecting as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.