cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo offering promo better than Public Mobile Plan

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

So if Public Mobile is the 3rd tier of "family" companies: Telus/Koodo/PublicMobile.

Why is the 2nd tier company - Koodo offering a promo that beats Public Mobile $50 plan ($48 with autopay)?

Yes, it is only beating it by 500mb (if autopay is enabled, but still).

esjliv_0-1600893297841.png

I wondering if many PM customers make the jump "up a tier" when these promos come out. Perhaps only those that do have not that much 'long time loyalty rewards' built up with PM?

Just sayin' 

🤔

17 REPLIES 17

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Korth wrote:

@cory_c 

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and uses the same Telus network, just like Telus. (Alongside the Bell network, because of Bellus nation-wide network sharing agreement, just like Telus.)

There is no difference. (Although Telus does offer LTE data speeds and VoLTE - for a price - which Public doesn't offer.)

Same network, same towers, exactly same coverage. In case you try to convince other family members again, lol.

More referrals can bring your outrageous $10 phone bill down ...

I know but just as PM people are loyal, others are also loyal to their brand due to the service provided. 😁

cory_c

@darlicious wrote:

@cory_c 

Sometimes it's impossible to convince someone to leave their provider despite often halving their bill and offering more data for a lower price. People tend to be overwhelmingly loyal to their mobile providers. I had two roommates with fido both paying similar prices averaging $80 per month for talk and texg and a tiny amount of data that neither of them ever really used. One i could not convince he kept telling me that theyve been so good to me! The other didnt want to either but got cut off for the umpteenth time incurring another $35 charge on top of the $80 bill he couldnt afford. I told him i would lend him the money to pay his bill on the condition he switched to public mobile. He was skeptical but needed his phone for work so agreed. 

After marching him down to London drugs for a free sim card w/activation i had him call fido, pay his bill, get his account number and the unlocking code which brought more questions and an offer to lower his bill ( something they wouldn't do when he told them he couldn't afford his bill.) I told him to tell fido he's looking at other plans and if they can match it he would consider staying. He hung up and switched to public mobile about 10 minutes later, number ported immediately and saving $67 per month. I was paid back in within 6 weeks and he couldn't be happier. He just recieved his first loyalty reward and his first referral about a month ago. With the occasional community reward he's down to $10 a month and loving it!

Loyalty...... public mobile shows it by reducing your bill by $1 every month after a year up to a max $5. Other providers show it by increasing your bill. As soon as telus's loyalty department turned me down after 20 years as a customer I switched to pm the very next day......eventually your family's provider(s) will throw their loyalty out the window too....thats when you pounce and sign them up for public mobile!

Good idea. BTW...your a good friend👍

@cory_c 

Sometimes it's impossible to convince someone to leave their provider despite often halving their bill and offering more data for a lower price. People tend to be overwhelmingly loyal to their mobile providers. I had two roommates with fido both paying similar prices averaging $80 per month for talk and texg and a tiny amount of data that neither of them ever really used. One i could not convince he kept telling me that theyve been so good to me! The other didnt want to either but got cut off for the umpteenth time incurring another $35 charge on top of the $80 bill he couldnt afford. I told him i would lend him the money to pay his bill on the condition he switched to public mobile. He was skeptical but needed his phone for work so agreed. 

After marching him down to London drugs for a free sim card w/activation i had him call fido, pay his bill, get his account number and the unlocking code which brought more questions and an offer to lower his bill ( something they wouldn't do when he told them he couldn't afford his bill.) I told him to tell fido he's looking at other plans and if they can match it he would consider staying. He hung up and switched to public mobile about 10 minutes later, number ported immediately and saving $67 per month. I was paid back in within 6 weeks and he couldn't be happier. He just recieved his first loyalty reward and his first referral about a month ago. With the occasional community reward he's down to $10 a month and loving it!

Loyalty...... public mobile shows it by reducing your bill by $1 every month after a year up to a max $5. Other providers show it by increasing your bill. As soon as telus's loyalty department turned me down after 20 years as a customer I switched to pm the very next day......eventually your family's provider(s) will throw their loyalty out the window too....thats when you pounce and sign them up for public mobile!

@cory_c 

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and uses the same Telus network, just like Telus. (Alongside the Bell network, because of Bellus nation-wide network sharing agreement, just like Telus.)

There is no difference. (Although Telus does offer LTE data speeds and VoLTE - for a price - which Public doesn't offer.)

Same network, same towers, exactly same coverage. In case you try to convince other family members again, lol.

More referrals can bring your outrageous $10 phone bill down ...

cory_c

@esjliv wrote:

So if Public Mobile is the 3rd tier of "family" companies: Telus/Koodo/PublicMobile.

Why is the 2nd tier company - Koodo offering a promo that beats Public Mobile $50 plan ($48 with autopay)?

I wondering if many PM customers make the jump "up a tier" when these promos come out. Perhaps only those that do have not that much 'long time loyalty rewards' built up with PM?

Just sayin' 

🤔

If you rely on your mobile for all communication and internet use then it's good to shop around, but as for myself I use my phone for emergency and lite use purposes. In fact, I tell people that I don't have a mobile. Although my plan falls under $10.00 a month, I still find it expensive considering that a phone call from a payphone use to be 25-50cents a call. That said I'm please with PM service (up to now). I've tried to convince other family members who are on Telus to switch but I keep being reminded that it has good network coverage.🙂

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes with Unlimited Calling with Unlimited Incoming calls, Unlimited evenings & weekends, Unlimited Canada-wide circle-calling, etc

Why not just call it what it is? "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk"

"Unlimited" already means "without limits". No need for multiple bullets to summarize each unlimit.

LOL, I'm with you on that one - I looked at that blurb and was wondering the same thing..... seemed like the use of the word "Unlimited" was also unlimited..... seems like someone in the marketing dept. NEEDS to be limited!!! 🤣

mm80

@skenth77 wrote:

I find the service and the coverage maps are better with public mobile

How can the coverage map be better for Public than Koodo? They're both owned by Telus.

skenth77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I find the service and the coverage maps are better with public mobile

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes with Unlimited Calling with Unlimited Incoming calls, Unlimited evenings & weekends, Unlimited Canada-wide circle-calling, etc

Why not just call it what it is? "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk"

"Unlimited" already means "without limits". No need for multiple bullets to summarize each unlimit.

Too much marketing fluff. Extra words for the salespeople to parrot and powerpoint.

The more they want to sell it, the less I need to buy it.

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile has lost its way as the low cost provider.  

Haven't people already told Public Mobile this? No call centre meant that it used to be cheaper, even from day one. Now, Public Mobile copies anything that Lucky Mobile does, yet still doesn't have th prices any longer, even without that call centre to pay for. Rewards are really all that Public has left on the competiton, and those don't help the brand new customer all that much.

@totalUser ,

Here is Fido's offer, ending Sept. 30, 2020.

They also included "Data Overage Protection".

esjliv_0-1600898776727.png

The "5 Hours Of Data" (That’s 1 hour of unlimited data 5 times a month) is a nice bonus too. Which they have in most plans, I think.

esjliv_1-1600898891056.png

"$50 for 9GB" is misleading. Easy enough to see it's really the "$50 for 4GB" plan plus a "Limited time offer!" one-time signup bonus of 5GB.

But the point is that the promo catches attention. Koodo has high visibility, plenty of stores all over the place. Anyone even remotely interested in phones and plans is aware of the offer.

Public doesn't have that visibility. People end up here because they were referred or because they deliberately went hunting for the best deal in Canada. PM's $50 plan is indeed better - especially with Rewards - but it's not really competing for the same (mainstream) market audience.  Koodo's promo doesn't have to outrun the bear, it only has to outrun the other second-tier brands.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @esjliv 

I somehow doubt people would give up loyalty and referral rewards for 500 megs

Target is probably Fido/virgin customers

CFPartDeux

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Plus it is new activations only and is the bonus data always on the plan or is it a limited time and then reverts back to regular plan data?

Guess I should probably ask the in-laws, just out of curiosity, since they both recently signed up for that plan.....

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@esjliv wrote:

Just sayin' 

🤔

Remember with Koodo it is post paid with a credit check.  Not saying that is why people are here.  So some people who need that much data may move to that plan.

Plus it is new activations only and is the bonus data always on the plan or is it a limited time and then reverts back to regular plan data?

ShawnC13_1-1600894552336.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM has a good reward reward system if your willing to be with them long term. They also have good give-aways. Its a personal choice to which company to take your service from and if you think its better value, then your free to take your cell service with them.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile has lost its way as the low cost provider.  We have seen the discussion in the community.  That said, Public Mobile's strengths are in the lower usage plans, not the big gig ones.  They took a step in the right direction with the $30/2GB plan.  However the recent price increase undid everything.  The remaining attractant for Public Mobile is the rewards system which remains second to none.  

Need Help? Let's chat.