cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo offering 10GB Canada-wide plan for $60/month with no term

tod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It seems Koodo is offering 10GB Canada-wide plan for $60 in AB/BC/ON: https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/15/koodo-offers-6010gb-promo-deal-ontario-alberta-british-columbia/

Seeing this on their main page as well, it's a bit tempting...any plans for PM to jump on the bangwagon with a similar deal?

30 REPLIES 30

DL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thymaster

Time to shake things up and switch to another carrier. Let PM know they got to fight to survive.

telephonemike

Just heard back from a Mod. No new offer is pending and suggested that it’s unlikely they will have one. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tod wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Wonder_why@on RFD someone mentioned a cheaper offer  today only for Ontario.  Trying not to discuss the details though.

Okay @mimmo, I am leaving PM anyway, who cares now Cat Happy, I pick up 10GB data plan Cat Happy

@Wonder_why  Well I just checked at a koodo store and they said there's no further discount. They also said the $10 credit for 12 months is for their other plans only. I can try another store later and I'll wait until Monday to see if PM comes up with something. 

Is a Promotion 10GB Data no further discounts apply,I am happy with the Promotion,might never see this kind of offer again 

telephonemike

I have tweeted PM and got no reply, others have too about the possible 10GB/$60 match. They are being pretty quiet on the topic.

Any PM'd the mods here and got a reply about a counter plan?

skifan

With Freedom, it is the roaming that is the critical factor. 

Leave their limited coverage areas and you will be forced to roam, which on this current offering is limited to 500 mb of data.  One could blow through that in very short order.....and then start incurring additional costs in a real hurry. 

It should also be noted, that if one uses more services roaming than in their home zone, over a period of 90 days, they will change your plan to a more expensive one.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The $10 reductions is part of the BYOD on their page - I won't post the link here as there are some rules around posts being seen as adverstising so I don't want to cross the line but it's there.

I hear what your saying, and don't misunderstand me - Freedom's Network has a ways to go yet in order to be competitive but they are closing the distance on the big three without question.  The network may not work for some.  Here in Alberta (arguably the home of their network) it really isn't that bad in the city centres.

tod

@Taekgun wrote:

Freedom has hit back after the flurry of $60/10GB offers yesterday with $50 for 10GB.  When you add that with the $10/month BYOD discount they are offering, that's now $40/10GB which is in the price range of the 2016 Fall Promo of PMs.

Before everyone starts yelling (all caps) that its on Freedoms network, they've upgraded to AWS-1 band 4 in my area and it's pretty good coverage - just saying, they're getting better and more competitive all the time.

I'm still not conviced FM has a decent network to offer yet. My friend in GVA just got supposedly LTE coverage on his Nexus 5x last week or so and the speedtest he showed me at full bars is hideous 6mbps down and 2.5mbps. Also, there's no VoLTE so calls that doesn't solve any of the call issues. I have a colleague that's right by the window in downtown Toronto and he constatly says he's not getting calls and cannot make calls. I used to be on FM, wind at the time, and I had to swtich after moving from KW to GTA as I had no coverage whatsoever at places where you'd expect and I couldn't even force it to "roam" most of the time.

FM certainly might work for some people but it doesn't fit my use case and no discounted amount would make me reconsider them at this time. Well okay, as of right now, I might get a second line if they offer it free of charge.

P.S. I don't even see FM $10 BYOD credit mentioned anywhere on the plan page. Oh and don't forget you need compatible phone (which at least I don't have) to get "LTE" with FM.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Freedom has hit back after the flurry of $60/10GB offers yesterday with $50 for 10GB.  When you add that with the $10/month BYOD discount they are offering, that's now $40/10GB which is in the price range of the 2016 Fall Promo of PMs.

Before everyone starts yelling (all caps) that its on Freedoms network, they've upgraded to AWS-1 band 4 in my area and it's pretty good coverage - just saying, they're getting better and more competitive all the time.

tod

@thymaster wrote:

PM is getting pathetic these days. It's like they don't try to promote their brand or care to add new customers anymore. I stop recommending them to my friends a long time ago. I'm thinking of migrating to Virgin because their 10GB data plan is permanent. The Koodo plan from what I heard is a promo for 2 years so after your contract you go back to 3GB and the 7GB bonus data is removed automatically.

@thymaster  it's actually pretty much the other way around. From what I've seen and heard Koodo might be the only post paid budget brand that doesn't screw around and increase price or change plans willy-nilly. The promo apparently has no term on the 10gb with Koodo and from first hand experience I can tell you Virgin is way more dishonest and will change pricing at their discretion. My gf was on Virgin and they decided to increase her no term byod budget plan by $5 within two years...so off she got switched to PM for the same price at the time but almost 10x more data and unlimited province calling instead of some limited daytime minutes.

After giving it some thought and letting the initial excitement wear off, I think I'll stick with PM for now since my 2016 fall promo plan works well enough and can't justify almost 2x more for the extra data and features that I probably won't use that much anyways. If PM decides to offer a good promo in the future I might switch to it, if a cheaper and better deal or PM messing with pricing happens I'll look into it but for now I'm most likely going to stick with PM and my current plan.

thymaster

PM is getting pathetic these days. It's like they don't try to promote their brand or care to add new customers anymore. I stop recommending them to my friends a long time ago. I'm thinking of migrating to Virgin because their 10GB data plan is permanent. The Koodo plan from what I heard is a promo for 2 years so after your contract you go back to 3GB and the 7GB bonus data is removed automatically.

Wonder_why

@tod wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Wonder_why@on RFD someone mentioned a cheaper offer  today only for Ontario.  Trying not to discuss the details though.

Okay @mimmo, I am leaving PM anyway, who cares now Cat Happy, I pick up 10GB data plan Cat Happy

@Wonder_why  Well I just checked at a koodo store and they said there's no further discount. They also said the $10 credit for 12 months is for their other plans only. I can try another store later and I'll wait until Monday to see if PM comes up with something. 

@I know but 10GB Data for $60 Canada Wide call, I am happy, look @ PM $60 only 5GB Data

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

sounds very good, but I barely use up my $90 1GB 90-day plan lol 

Well we could all mitigate that pre-paid issue by sticking with 30 day plans on autopay. The risk is only $5 - $6 per 90 days; or about $24/year. The biggest potential headache is the port-out if it fails, and of course the aggravation of going to a kiosk for promos that only activate at stores.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jshmeek

Can confirm that the $10 credit isn't available on it. The legal stuff now includes it on the Koodo site, and I checked in the Telus/Koodo store today too. Would've been quite a good deal to PM folks (and for Telus to shuffle the prepaid into postpaid). I'll be switching to Telus postpaid tomorrow.

My main reason for leaving is the extra data, but also the fact that postpaid plans are easier to move around on. I'll basically be surrendering 2 months of my plan because it was prepaid. Now with postpaid again, I can leave and get my bill pro-rated. Makes it easier to take offers/promos on different carriers without getting dinged each time.

JDT

Don't count on PM coming up with anything...

tod

@Wonder_why wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Wonder_why

@mimmo wrote:

Wonder_why

@computergeek541 wrote:

This plan seems to line up to Freedom's similar plan at that same price, but with a larger and more stable network. 

Way way way better than FM, even now there have LTE, I ditch FM not too long ago

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Wonder_why @On RFD someone mentioned a cheaper offer  today only for Ontario.  Trying not to discuss the details though.

This plan seems to line up to Freedom's similar plan at that same price, but with a larger and more stable network. 

Wonder_why

@mimmo wrote:

Seems like koodo is getting some competition in Ontario and even offering the plan for a little less.

Nope,Koodo  same as Bell, Rogers and Fido, include Ontario, pick up the sim Cat Happy

tod

Has anyone actually checked the details on the Koodo plan?

Wondering if " Plus, get a $10 bill credit for 12 months on plans $55+ when you bring your own phone.*" also applies, that would be a killer....

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Seems like koodo is getting some competition in Ontario and even offering the plan for a little less.

tod

@Luddite wrote:

@tod and everyone else. NEVER WAIT for a promo. Always take the best deal that meets your needs whenever it appears. 

That being said, my sense is that PM will never match competitor promos at the time, and, that they believe current prices are generally competitive enough.

Also, remember that many current customers already have grandfathered pricing, loyalty rewards, and referrals inhibiting their need to jump ship. From PM's perspective they only stand to lose data "gluttons" and that is a segment they have "ignored" from the beginning. PM pricing clearly targets unlimited calling only, and unlimited calling/texting with moderate data. It is still the lowest in those categories.

@LudditeI agree to disagree...What about the $40 12GB fall 2016 promo that I'm currently on and the constant extra data promos? Also, let's not forget the $40 12gb promo for freedom mobile a few months back... Yes, the rewards are nice but so is Canada-wide, extended coverage, being able to roam outside canada and the us, at least a statement regarding VoLTE and wifi calling, etc. Not to mention the PM "unlimited" calling is almost as the freedom mobile one where your calls get cut out after 2-2.5hrs which is annoying as I'm on very long conference calls sometimes.

Rustynayl

I wish PM would come up with a similar promo. I REALLY do not want to leave PM, and the loyalty/referal bonuses I am getting.. The only reason i'm not switching over right now is because I just recently paid for the next 90 days.. I'd be basically flushing $100 down the toilet if I were to switch over to Koodo.. 😕

Come on PM.. give me a reason to stay!

@tod and everyone else. NEVER WAIT for a promo. Always take the best deal that meets your needs whenever it appears. 

That being said, my sense is that PM will never match competitor promos at the time, and, that they believe current prices are generally competitive enough.

Also, remember that many current customers already have grandfathered pricing, loyalty rewards, and referrals inhibiting their need to jump ship. From PM's perspective they only stand to lose data "gluttons" and that is a segment they have "ignored" from the beginning. PM pricing clearly targets unlimited calling only, and unlimited calling/texting with moderate data. It is still the lowest in those categories.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

tod

Cool, hopefully we get some good promo or else 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@tod, there are already two threads on this topic please visit them

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Koodo-Great-plan-what-is-PM-response/m-p/...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/WHere-is-the-dealls/m-p/205013#M23413

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.