cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo has better pricing

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can buy a 2GB nonexpiring "booster" on Koodo for $30.

PM sells a 1GB add-on for the same price.

14 REPLIES 14

Jorno

@canucks4life wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@wetcoaster do you keep your data off and then turn on when needed? Or just keep it on?

My mom is on the same plan you are and I told her to keep data off intil she needs it.   Or do you use some data saving features.  She is using android.  It's a pain to switch data for mms and picture messages.

There is a way to create a custom APN to allow MMS only perhaps my friend @Jorno can explain he doesn't even have a data plan but can still do picture messaging.

A reply to the above would be off topic, so I created a new post.  I invite all community members interested in an APN setting for MMS only to read my post here.

mattdxb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's not really better pricing when it's just a promo price that you can only buy once and the last time Koodo had this double promo was almost 2-3 years ago.

As for saving data on public wifi, I highly recommend a VPN for that. There are a bunch of ways you can set one up at home, and not necessarily need a commercial VPN for that. Personally, I have one set up on a raspberry pi.

I love Waze since I drive around southern Ontario a lot. The alerts can really help. Re-routing has been a huge time saver as well. There have been times I've been re-routed around traffic that has probably saved me more than a half hour a few times. As for using too much power, I have a phone charger in the car which, IMO, is essential for people who spend too much time in their cars.

Yes; Waze was a bit data hungry, and made the phone nice & hot, but worth it this trip.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite wrote:

@mimmo To add a small item to wetcoaster's ideas: look for a way to disable/enable each app's use of cellular data. On iPhone it is under settings for Cellular. I turn all but the most essential for travel off and use very little cellular data. A return trip Mississauga-Toronto with Waze on full time to get around traffic used about 20Mb.

@Luddite, if you are interested in penny pinching data, waze is not a good app.  I tried it a couple of times and promptly deleted it from my phone.  It consumes far too much power and there was too much nonsense going on that had nothing to do with telling me how to get to my destination.

I do admire the efforts taken to reduce data consumption.  I spent a lot of time with Wind mobile and so there was never a worry about data consumption.  Worst case, the fair use policy kicks in and frankly it isn't much different than normal data speeds.  I stay strickly on wireless data everywhere.  I don't trust public wifi, who know whether those networks are hacked or not. 

@mimmo To add a small item to wetcoaster's ideas: look for a way to disable/enable each app's use of cellular data. On iPhone it is under settings for Cellular. I turn all but the most essential for travel off and use very little cellular data. A return trip Mississauga-Toronto with Waze on full time to get around traffic used about 20Mb.

EDIT: when I only need directions I use HereWeGo offline. One does need space on the phone for their large detailed maps though.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have to agree with @wetcoaster, many of us like this service because we have the 2016 fall promo which is very price competitive.  That said, those of us who frequent this forum do not shill this service without merit.  There have been lots of complaints about the lack of good promos in recent months.  As always, no service is perfect for everyone.  Do the home work and respect your own wallet.  

Alexo

Oh, I wasn't talking about their plans.  I have Koodo prepaid for the kids, their usage of voice and data is low, and the base $15 (-10%) for unlimited texting plus boosters works well for them.

Aside: it appears that the pricing is a limited-time, limited-use promo.

justinlo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Koodo might have better pricing on some of their add-ons. But their base-price is slightly higher than Public Mobile.

Take their 1GB date/Unlimited Talk/Unlimited Text plan as an example. That plan will cost you $65+tax at Koodo while it will only cost you $40 at Public Mobile. Even with 4GB of data, it will only cost you $50 + tax at PM.

@Alexo wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

Oh, and... nobody is forcing you to stay with PM if Koodo meets your needs better... ;

Why is it that every critique of PM and every unflattering comparison, is always met with the same knee-jerk reaction?

"You're either with us or against us" should not be a slogan that rational people rally behind.

Back on topic.

Several months ago the prices of Koodo boosters and PM add-ons were comparable.  Now Koodo lowered the prices.  Since both companies are owned by Telus, I was expecting PM to follow suit.

This is clearly your perception / interpreting something that I didn't say... I don't have a problem with comparisons - in contrary, it's a free market and up-to-date comparisons help the consumer to make an informed choice. I also didn't say that you are "against us" ... And what you call knee-jerk reaction is the encouragement to find what works best for you and act accordingly.

A better price / different price structure for data add-ons has been brought up multiple times, I just don't think it's going to happen. That price difference might well be intended and a means to get PM subscribers another reason to switch to the second-tier sister brand.

As mentioned above, no provider suits everybody - make your comparisons and bring your business where your needs a met best.

@mimmo

I guess it's a matter of how often the MMS feature is used. I get an alert if my messaging app gets an MMS but can't access it due to data connection turned off / not available. So, if I'd only get an MMS in a blue moon, keeping data off when not in use wouldn't be too bad.

My phone (running Android 5.1) is auto connecting to WiFi at home and at work and MMS are not counting as data, so usually my data connection is on, but the phone is not using it for accessing the internet. I have gone through all the system and app settings to make sure that updates are only happening when the phone is on WiFi and background data access is turned off whenever it makes sense and is possible.

If I'm out and about for several hours or a full day, my (work) e-mail is set to sync every half an hour (manually in between if needed), and my browsing is limited to confirming the weather/wind/tide forecast. WhatsApp is set to download media only over WiFi and I don't use social media like Facebook on my phone.

Alexo

@wetcoaster wrote:

Oh, and... nobody is forcing you to stay with PM if Koodo meets your needs better... ;

Why is it that every critique of PM and every unflattering comparison, is always met with the same knee-jerk reaction?

"You're either with us or against us" should not be a slogan that rational people rally behind.

Back on topic.

Several months ago the prices of Koodo boosters and PM add-ons were comparable.  Now Koodo lowered the prices.  Since both companies are owned by Telus, I was expecting PM to follow suit.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mimmo wrote:

@wetcoaster do you keep your data off and then turn on when needed? Or just keep it on?

My mom is on the same plan you are and I told her to keep data off intil she needs it.   Or do you use some data saving features.  She is using android.  It's a pain to switch data for mms and picture messages.

There is a way to create a custom APN to allow MMS only perhaps my friend @Jorno can explain he doesn't even have a data plan but can still do picture messaging.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

This is nothing new.

PM add-ons are expensive, and I think intentionally so.

If you regularly run out of data before your renewal date it might be time to get more data on your plan.

On the other hand, for extremely low data usage (I'm using less than 100MB amonth ...) combining the non-expiring 1GB data add-on with a talk & text plan is a very cost effective way to have access to data when needed, without paying for a data plan. (And, at least the last time I checked, it's an option unique to PM!)

Oh, and... nobody is forcing you to stay with PM if Koodo meets your needs better... 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.