cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo Deal, but no Credit Card

SolomonT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm 18 so I'm unable to get a Credit Card, and they won't accept my Debit card even with my Drivers license and BC Health card. How can I get the $35/5GB deal if I'm unable to even pay for the plan since they don't accept Debit?

15 REPLIES 15

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

there are different pay system.

Koodo is postpaid, it means you have to pay the bill 30 days later.

but PM is prepaid service, it means you have to pay the bill before you use.

So Koodo want to check your  credit, PM didn't.

In here we know the reason PM is cheaper on the market.

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think OP's even allow to have a Public Mobile account if they aren't 19 as they can't agree to any legally binding contract.  While Public Mobile doesn't require a birth date to sign up, the accounts show be under the parent's name and not a minor.

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I know, but Koodo want to check your credit because of the business.

you should  ask your parents and open your account on their name,

but you have to pay the bill by yourself. it is a  best way.

@SolomonT wrote:

Apparently it is because I need to be 19 in order to get a credit card. Sucks.

It goes farther than that.  In British Columbia, the age of majority is 19.  While you cannot get a credit card, you also cannot sign up for Koodo postpaid service.  The contract would not be legally enforceable (yes, technically this is a contract even without a phone subsidy although companies like to advertise "no contracts" all the time).  What does this mean?  You are not legally capable of agreeomg to a credit check or to sign up for a postpaid phone service.  And if Koodo did activate your service, you would never have to pay them - and they know this.

You'll have to get the service activated under someone else's name with that person's permission. That person would have to pass the credit check and this person would ultimately be responsible for paying the bill.

@SolomonT wrote:

I'm 18 so I'm unable to get a Credit Card, and they won't accept my Debit card even with my Drivers license and BC Health card. How can I get the $35/5GB deal if I'm unable to even pay for the plan since they don't accept Debit?

I don't believe that it's a matter of not accepting Visa Debit for payment. I'm sure that they do.

It's about being able to process a credit check.  I don't beleive that using a drivers lience and health card is valid in terms of them being able to do that.  A credit card or social inusrance number is what they're going to need.

As for the driver's license, that's fine for estabilishing your identity, but I would say that your health card doesn't help any. When it comes to photo health cards, I've seen the on-screen activation system before at least for Telus, and they actually have/had a checkbox for "photo health card seen". They aren't allowed to record your health card information, but in the Telus system (at least back when I saw that), allowed the photo health card to be used only as mean for photo identification. Since you already have a driver's license, a health card doesn't help when it comes to activation.

I'd be surprise if driver's license and SIN didn't work in-store. 

However, for online order at Koodo's webstore, credit card is mandatory.  Social Insuance Number can be used online if you don't have a driver's license, but from what I've seen from ordering online before, the only options at koodmobile.com are either drivers license and credit card OR credit card and SIN.

@stonechucker wrote:

Is it a payment issue, or is it the credit check that is the problem?

A SIN card can be used to identify you on acredit check if you wish to use it.

VISAdebit cards are supposed to be accepted as VISA cards.  This shouldn’t be an issue.

@stonechucker

I'm not a Koodo customer but when I opened the last post paid phone account my driver's licence was accepted for accessing the credit rating.

I'm assuming that @SolomonT's application is bouncing because they didn't have enough opportunities in their live to build a good credit score. A bit catch 22 though, since a post paid cell phone account is a good way to round out that credit rating port folio...

@hankcooper wrote:

My wife doesn't have a credit card and is flying tomorrow to Vancouver. She went to a convenience store and bought a Visa card with $100 on it but you can also get other amounts as low as $20. It says they are good anywhere online and offline like a ticket counter.

@hankcooper

This information is good to know but irrelevant for the original poster. They are trying to switch to the Koodo promo offers, which are post paid - a credit check is required. You can't build a credit history if you don't have a form of account in your name that relies on you paying an owed amount and reports to the credit bureaus.

Is it a payment issue, or is it the credit check that is the problem?

A SIN card can be used to identify you on acredit check if you wish to use it.

VISAdebit cards are supposed to be accepted as VISA cards.  This shouldn’t be an issue.

hankcooper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife doesn't have a credit card and is flying tomorrow to Vancouver. She went to a convenience store and bought a Visa card with $100 on it but you can also get other amounts as low as $20. It says they are good anywhere online and offline like a ticket counter.

SolomonT

Apparently it is because I need to be 19 in order to get a credit card. Sucks.

@mimmo wrote:

Do you pass the credit check ? That is the other possible issue.  Have you tried ordering online?

Won't make a difference doing it online.  Can't avoid the credit check. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Do you pass the credit check ? That is the other possible issue.  Have you tried ordering online?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@SolomonT wrote:

@SolomonT

As an immediate measure ask a relative / someone you trust to use their credit card for signing up - their credit rating will be used. As I understand it you should be able to transfer ownership and payment methods once the account is set up.

For future reference / to build your credit history apply for a secured credit card with your financial institution. You'll put the amount required, which used to be the credit limit but might have changed since I went through this, into an account that you will not have access to but serves as your security in case you default on your credit card bill. Use your credit card often and pay the balance in full at the end of the month. Once your "probation period" is up / you have built a bit of credit history you can apply for an in-market credit card.

SolomonT

I went into their store and they wouldn't take my VISA Debit. It's really weird since I've never dealt with that before.

hocuspocus

You can use a Visa debit card since it is an accepted form of payment.  Alternatively, you can use a payment proxy service such as Plastiq.  I've never tried it so use at your own risk.

Need Help? Let's chat.