cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kid going to Europe - Does she need to pull out her SIM or can she leave it in

bpopman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can she just leave the SIM card in?  No plan for her to get alternate SIM as she will just use wifi..she is on $15 mthly plan..

Question is that I am not going to get hooked with some massive bill because she is roaming on PM account while in Europe?  Just don't want her to lose SIM and she wants to text from airport

Hope that make sense..

7 REPLIES 7

@bpopmanI would echo @mimmo and suggest you get a European SIM card you can even get one off Amazon.ca and get your kid prepared for her adventures.. If her phone accepts 2 SIM cards the better.

Also check to see if her phone has a "turn off roaming data" if you are really concerned about run away bill.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bpopman just a thought but if her phone is unlocked why not get a local sim. They have cheap plans and will allow local calling, and she will not dependant on finding free wifi.

If she gets a fongo number /app then you will also be able to call her and she you. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bpopman wrote:

Can she just leave the SIM card in?  No plan for her to get alternate SIM as she will just use wifi..she is on $15 mthly plan..

Question is that I am not going to get hooked with some massive bill because she is roaming on PM account while in Europe?  Just don't want her to lose SIM and she wants to text from airport

Hope that make sense..

@bpopmanRecommended to leave the sim card in. If using Wi-Fi and hangouts dialer or  other equivalent third party dialling app and her number is registered within the app then her number will get displayed when calling back to any North American number.

popping

@mimmo wrote:

@bpopman  as mentioned Public is Prepaid, so there are no bills.

However the other thing Public does not do is have any pay per use fees.  For example When  my mom was on Chatr,  if she wanted to send a MMS she was not able unless she put funds on her account so they could deduct the charge of the MMS from her account. 

Chatr is using the pay-per-use features to suck money out of their subscribers' account.

Chatr autopay is different.  They take the monthly fee out of your credit card and leaving the money in your account to be sucked dry by pay-per-use.  

PM is pure prepaid service.  Phone stops working without pay.

mimmo

@bpopman  as mentioned Public is Prepaid, so there are no bills.

However the other thing Public does not do is have any pay per use fees.  For example When  my mom was on Chatr,  if she wanted to send a MMS she was not able unless she put funds on her account so they could deduct the charge of the MMS from her account. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bpopman wrote:

Hope that make sense..

As mentioned, no extra charges here.

If the phone is dual-SIM then if she likes she can get a SIM over there and have service. Or get one of those travel SIM's here. Do that and even leave the PM SIM at home. Otherwise, I don't see the concern of losing the SIM if it's staying in the phone. Losing the phone on the other hand...:)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bpopman , this is a prepaid service.  So there's never a need to worry about bill shock.  Also Public Mobile does not offer roaming service other than the US.  

Need Help? Let's chat.