cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping plan active with phone off?

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Hi guys!

Let's say someone goes on an trip and leaves their phone at home, off, never powers it for a long period of time (several months, a year or more...) and keeps their plan active on autopay with a valid credit card (that won't expires during that said period); is there a possibility of eventually somehow losing the plan/account/SIM/etc.?

Thanks!!  🙂

(I already know about general advice on how to keep the plan active on vacation, about chosing the cheapest plan, and activating only once every 88ish days of inactivity, etc.)

8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Someone_here wrote:

Thanks for answering @popping , but I'm wondering if you have read my post?

I (though I) made clear that I already know everything you repeated. I've done that specifically to avoid that kind of answer that has been posted thousand of times, that doesn't answer my question, and that appears (to me at least) to be made only in order to rank higher in community rewards. Sorry if that's not the case, and I apologize if it was my post that wasn't clear.

What I want to know is if there could be a problem if a SIM does not connect to the network at all for a year or more, given that the account is paid for every 30 days.

It does not matter whether your phone is working/connected to PM network or not, PM will be happy to take money out of your cc every 30 days to keep your account active.  But if there is renewal issue, your account will be suspended.  Therefore, you should check your account every 30 days to make sure that your account status is active. 

What I want to know is if there could be a problem if a SIM does not connect to the network at all for a year or more, given that the account is paid for every 30 days.

@Someone_here  No, connection to the network is not a requirement for an account to remain active.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for answering @popping , but I'm wondering if you have read my post?

I (though I) made clear that I already know everything you repeated. I've done that specifically to avoid that kind of answer that has been posted thousand of times, that doesn't answer my question, and that appears (to me at least) to be made only in order to rank higher in community rewards. Sorry if that's not the case, and I apologize if it was my post that wasn't clear.

EDIT: Thanks all for the other replies, and sorry again for ranting!

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi guys!

Let's say someone goes on an trip and leaves their phone at home, off, never powers it for a long period of time (several months, a year or more...) and keeps their plan active on autopay with a valid credit card (that won't expires during that said period); is there a possibility of eventually somehow losing the plan/account/SIM/etc.?

Thanks!!  🙂

(I already know about general advice on how to keep the plan active on vacation, about chosing the cheapest plan, and activating only once every 88ish days of inactivity, etc.)

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You will not lose the account as long as you suspend it and reactivate within 90 days.

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi guys!

If you pay for the plan, Public Mobile is not going to do anything about you never turning the phone on. Actually using the service is not a requirement to being a customer.  Especially when it comes to people on a $10 or $15 plan, it's quite possible that there are many customers who only use the phone a few times a year, and after factoring in loyalty and autopay rewards, don't mind paying any remaining fees.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi guys!

@Someone_hereNo, unless for some reason AutoPay fails then your account will get suspended. So in order to avoid this from happening it's advisable to sign in to your selfserve account and make sure AutoPay was successful after every renewal period.

Thanks!!  🙂

popping

@popping wrote:

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi guys!

Thanks!!  🙂

Yes.  You can switch to the cheapest $15 plan before going on long vacation. As long as you pay your account.  You number will be safe.

You can also disable autopay, your account status will change to suspended on your next renewal date.  You can reactivate your account before 90 days after suspension to keep your plan.

popping

@Someone_here wrote:

Hi guys!

Thanks!!  🙂

Yes.  You can switch to the cheapest $15 plan before going on long vacation. As long as you pay your account.  You number will be safe.

Please note that if you have an old plan which is no longer offer, you will not be able to get it back after switching to a cheaper plan for a few months.

Need Help? Let's chat.