cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just topped up my account but got charged extra?

mch90
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just topped up my account ($35/month plan) and still had $8 balance remaining, so the balance due was $27. However, just checked my credit card and I got charged $30.24... Why did I get charge an extra $3? 

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ottawa:

As a business...sure! As the end user... it sucks. And knowing it's just flow through for the business makes it suck even more.

The PST remittance paid a tiny sum to the business too as a tax collector/remitter.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not to get too far off topic, but it's assumed the cost of doing business is passed on to your customer. So whether you pay $40 or $44.80 for a month of cell service, your customer is ultimately paying for your (business) cell bill.

It's a lot easier to manage than the old PST days, where if you sold paper towel you'd buy it tax-free from your supplier and send in the tax you collected when you sold it, except if you took a few rolls from inventory to use in your busindss, you had to track those and pay tax on them because you were the end user. Meanwhile I (not being a seller of paper towel) just paid tax to the supplier. And the interpretations could get really complicated, trying to decide what was being incorporated into the product you were selling, and what was being used by you to produce the product. I like GST/HST much better. 🙂

=aw

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ottawa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course it's the same end result...just not called HST.

In the spirit of just having fun (truly), while it's correct to say the total is the same, it's not necessarily the same result. Being based in ON without presence in BC, if I had a BC # as a business expense, I'd pay 5% GST + 7% (BC) PST but I'd only be able to claim the 5% back. If it were 12% HST, I could claim it all. 🙂

=aw

Yup. And the rich get richer. Once upon a time I ran a little business and had to learn some of that tax stuff. I was like really??...it just flows through?.. and I, the business don't pay any of this? Or whatever it nets out as. Crap. The business didn't do too particularly well. 🙂

ottawa

@Anonymous wrote:

In the spirit of just having fun (truly), while it's correct to say the total is the same, it's not necessarily the same result. Being based in ON without presence in BC, if I had a BC # as a business expense, I'd pay 5% GST + 7% (BC) PST but I'd only be able to claim the 5% back. If it were 12% HST, I could claim it all. 🙂

=aw

ottawa

@stonechucker wrote:

The is no extra worth to the $2 credit as it is deducted prior to taxes being charged.

I think that's the point, the autopay discount takes $2.26 off your bottom line (if you're in ON; more or less elsewhere).

For example, $40 plan is $45.20 ($40+$5.20HST). With autopay (which applies even if you put on $40 with a voucher), it's $42.94 ($38+$4.94HST). I mention the voucher in case anyone is still buying PM vouchers at SDM using a PCFinancial MC that qualifies for extra cashback at SDM.

=aw

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The additional charges your seeing is likely the taxes. Your plan may of only been that price but if you add taxes it might make things a little clearer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

BC HST is 12%

BC has no HST. It's 7% BC 5% GST. 🙂

Thanks for pointing it out.

@stonechucker: I did do a quick edit to add the area code part but not the negative. 🙂

@popping: Since you decided to edit your other post...it's still sorta incorrect. If you said BC "=" GST + 7% is 12% then that would be more righter 🙂 (just to beat up English for fun 🙂 )

The is no extra worth to the $2 credit as it is deducted prior to taxes being charged.

As for the Ontario comment... Either I misread the original response and missed the negative notations, but I swear it said it in the positive when I read it it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

BC HST is 12%

Thanks for pointing it out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

BC HST is 12%

popping

BC HST GST 5% + PST 7% = 12%

People pay tax when money coming into PM account.

Therefore, the $2 autopay credit is worth more than $2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

13& is Ontario.  Not 12%.  Im not checking the math, but it is definitely taxes.

Why do people always ask this?  Taxes are on everything.  This is no different than any other business in Canada.

I know Ontario is 13% that's why I deduced that he wasn't from there due to getting 12%.

13% is Ontario.  Not 12%.  Im not checking the math, but it is definitely taxes.

Why do people always ask this?  Taxes are on everything.  This is no different than any other business in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mch90 wrote:

I just topped up my account ($35/month plan) and still had $8 balance remaining, so the balance due was $27. However, just checked my credit card and I got charged $30.24... Why did I get charge an extra $3? 

27 * 1.12 = 30.24. Apparently you don't live in Ontario.

Or more specifically, your area code is not from Ontario.

mimmo

Taxes?

Need Help? Let's chat.