cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just clarifying a plan feature

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Still waiting on my Sim, but I just wondered, the plan I'm going to be signing up for does say it includes unlimited international text messaging... Does this mean that  in the case of being in the US for say a day or 2, that I'd be able to text from there without having to add an add on, unless I also wanted to call or have data also? 

11 REPLIES 11

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

"International Text" used to be called "Global Text" (back when "Canada-wide Text" was another, lower cost option).

But "International" in "CA/US/International Long Distance" only means PM's specific list of countries:

Canada, China (including Hong Kong, excluding Taiwan), France, Germany, Greece, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom (including Wales, excluding Ireland, excluding Australia), United States, and Venezuela.

Does "International" Text allow texts to be sent from Canada to other (not-listed) countries?

My understanding is that texts can be sent and received from anywhere in the world and are not restricted to the limited countries list for LD calling.

"International Text" used to be called "Global Text" (back when "Canada-wide Text" was another, lower cost option).

But "International" in "CA/US/International Long Distance" only means PM's specific list of countries:

Canada, China (including Hong Kong, excluding Taiwan), France, Germany, Greece, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom (including Wales, excluding Ireland, excluding Australia), United States, and Venezuela.

Does "International" Text allow texts to be sent from Canada to other (not-listed) countries?

pawprints1986,
You can only use PM in Canada or the US with roaming.

Pawprints1986

Realistically, the furthest place I'll likely ever go is a cruise ship... Last time I only used Facebook messenger to keep in contact at home, but I'll admit it was nice knowing that if desperately needed, roaming was available per day should disaster happen without Wi-Fi but it was urgent to contact home. I didn't need it luckily... but it was there

It's an extremely rare situation that I'm away and not in Canada  or the US though

@Jb456 wrote:

@JoyLuck  looks like you're clicking on the wrong thing. Seems like you're clicking on "Change Plan" 

You need to scroll down and click on "Purchase Addons" 😁

Okay, I got it now. Thanks Jb456!

@Jb456 wrote:

@JoyLuck @Pawprints1986 they're all showing for me.

Android Chrome mobile. I see all options available to purchase.. maybe clear your internet history/cookie cache and trying again?

@Pawprints1986  due take note USA roaming add-ons.. Start right away when purchased. So don't buy in advance. Buy day of leaving to USA ( whenever boarders open again lol)

Tried 2 different browsers on desktop and tablet (cleared history/cache) and still no roaming.

plans.JPG

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, how are we then able to purchase roaming? It's there... Just not always. What happens behind the scenes? 

Pawprints1986 you are correct.... I am not seeing the roaming add ons in self service. I wonder if it has something to do with:

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, how are we then able to purchase roaming? It's there... Just not always. What happens behind the scenes? 

Purchase through self service.

Go here and see what add ons you need (Click Add-Ons)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

Plans start right away if purchased. Plan your purchase wisely.

Using wifi, you can consider getting the 10 Day US Roaming add-on after you get to US. 

Pawprints1986

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Pawprints1986 

You can text the whole world from public mobile network. Public mobile doesn't have any towers outside Canada nor a permit to offer service anywhere else.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986    I'm afraid not...it only means you can send and recieve international texts to/from anywhere in the world while you are in canada. Once you leave canada you require a roaming add on for service ( you can recieve texts though without one). Roaming add ons are only available for the US. All other countries you have to get a local or international SIM card and plan for service.

Need Help? Let's chat.