cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradman20012
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ive noticed that my phone calls get cut off when im approaching 2 hours of talk time

Ive noticed that my phone calls get cut off when im approaching 2 hours of talk time. The call gets dropped then I have too call back the person. My friend has also noticed this. Normal practice for public mobile? It is kind've annoying having to call back the person. Keep in mind I dont partake in calls that last this long on a regualar basis but its just super annoying when I am and this happens.

Accepted Solutions
RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Re: Ive noticed that my phone calls get cut off when im approaching 2 hours of talk time

@bradman20012 

This has been reported many times it is a known "issue" or "feature" depending on how you define it.

@will13am wrote:

This seems to be an unwritten feature of unlimited calling plans in Canada.  I know for a fact that Wind did this.  Calls would end right at the 2 hour mark.

@AdamAy wrote:
They do cut off at exactly the same time, it's always after 138 minutes

@kav2001c wrote:

every single carrier has some limit. Otherwise network would have multiple orphan calls. 

Never tried to test Public so no idea what limit is (could be higher) but sooner or later will hit a limit and call will be disconnected.

Probably same limit as Telus/Koodo/PC Mobile have

@kav2001c wrote:

Time is def not set in stone

Test 1 - 2:12

Test 2 - 2:04

I have seen others claim as high as 2:30 on these boards

View solution in original post

All Replies
Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Re: Ive noticed that my phone calls get cut off when im approaching 2 hours of talk time

Are you sure it's not just a poor connection?

It's probably a poor connection with the tower, interference, or a problem with your phone.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public is on telus network so it shouldn't be that bad.

bradman20012
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im pretty sure it has nothng to do with the tower as i get full bars at home and that would be just extremelly convenient that every time around the same time it cuts off. I also highly double its my phone, my iphone xs max worked perfectly with virgin on calls over 3 hours

Lieux
Oracle

@bradman20012 can you go in your self serve account and see if somehting like different when you have to call back??? In your PLAN/ADDS-on and USAGE HISTORY....Smiley Frustrated

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@bradman20012 

This has been reported many times it is a known "issue" or "feature" depending on how you define it.

@will13am wrote:

This seems to be an unwritten feature of unlimited calling plans in Canada.  I know for a fact that Wind did this.  Calls would end right at the 2 hour mark.

@AdamAy wrote:
They do cut off at exactly the same time, it's always after 138 minutes

@kav2001c wrote:

every single carrier has some limit. Otherwise network would have multiple orphan calls. 

Never tried to test Public so no idea what limit is (could be higher) but sooner or later will hit a limit and call will be disconnected.

Probably same limit as Telus/Koodo/PC Mobile have

@kav2001c wrote:

Time is def not set in stone

Test 1 - 2:12

Test 2 - 2:04

I have seen others claim as high as 2:30 on these boards

View solution in original post

wickedgx

Yeah there should be a limit on unlimited minutes. If everyone left their phone in a call (maybe some bots), that would prob break the system.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@wickedgx wrote:

Yeah there should be a limit on unlimited minutes. If everyone left their phone in a call (maybe some bots), that would prob break the system.

@wickedgx  It would be nice for the system to notify you and say "Hey, you've been on call for 2 hours" or better yet before it disconnects you give you a chance to stay on, "in 1 minute unless you press 777 you will be disconnected" or some way to prevent this from happening if this is a real call, while rare, sometimes you have to wait on hold longer than 2 hours.

wickedgx

I don't think any carrier does that but that would be neat. However it's prob not worth it for them to implement as I don't think many people have calls for over 2 hours.

Maybe try a landline next time?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@wickedgx wrote:

I don't think any carrier does that but that would be neat. However it's prob not worth it for them to implement as I don't think many people have calls for over 2 hours.

Maybe try a landline next time?

@wickedgx  I think the issue with this is people don't know its going to happen. For most people a 2 hour phone call is a once if ever in a life time kind of event so they didn't know they would have needed to call from a landline and if they were waiting for 2 hours it was probably a pretty important call. I don't know of any other tech that automatically cuts you off when actually in use by the user. This is out of the ordinary.

I also do not own a landline and as of recently I now only know of 1 person left with a landline, my 92 year old grand mother who still has a VCR and a shelf filled with VHS movies.

Need Help? Let's chat.