Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with text messages and iphone 6 SE

Mayellah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Iphone 6 SE help PLEASE!!! This plan includes: -
  • - 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed - Unlimited International Text

For some reason, he can't receive/send text messages unless data is on OR on wifi... Any suggestions how to fix this issue? I don't wan't data accessible. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mayellah 

You need data in order to send /receive MMS.  Group messaging ans picture message uses MMS.  MMS does not use WiFi.

IPhone iMessage can send message to a group of recipients.

Don't worry about the data usage with the MMS because data usage by MMS will not count against your 250MB data.

I have an old grandfathered $10 plan without data.  I can send/receive picture MMS OR group message to a group of recipients as long as I enable data.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Mayellah I found this old announcement from Public Mobile about issues with Ipones

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Quick-tip-when-having-calling-or-data-i...

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Mayellah wrote:

Iphone 6 SE help PLEASE!!! This plan includes: -
  • - 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed - Unlimited International Text

For some reason, he can't receive/send text messages unless data is on OR on wifi... Any suggestions how to fix this issue? I don't wan't data accessible. Thanks

Are the outbound messages in a green or blue bubble?

Green = SMS

Blue = IMessage ( Apple to Apple only)

Not that it makes a big difference is the iPhone a 6,  6S or SE?

I have an SE and I believe my settings are correct. Most everyone we know has Apple. So we can iMessage  using a mobile number or a registered email address.  The only SMS’s that work back and forth for me is with an android user. I have to be on internet or occasionally when out .....I have to turn data on for iMessages. I know I should text from iPad and iPhone “from and to” a mobile phone number. What is the iPhone set at for default  “send from”?

@gblackma wrote:

@Mayellah iPhones uses imessage which uses either data or wifi to text between iPhones. To get texts from Android phones enable sms and mms. Disable Imessage when not on wifi. Turn it back on and unless its been over 3 days you should get all your messages.

Wrong info struck through

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Mayellah 

follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Go to Messages.
  3. Locate the option to Send as SMS. Make sure it is turned on. You can also toggle this switch off and then back on.
  4. Go back to Messages and then try sending a text message again.

Mayellah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There is no SMS option, only a MMS which is already selected...

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Mayellah iPhones uses imessage which uses either data or wifi to text between iPhones. To get texts from Android phones enable sms and mms. Disable Imessage when not on wifi. Turn it back on and unless its been over 3 days you should get all your messages.

[Incorrect info struck through ....... Luddite]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you're sending a text (SMS) message, and not some other sort of message with a messaging app?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

It sounds like you do not have SMS set up on your iPhone and you're just getting your texts through iMessage.

Go to setting then message. Turn the SMS switch to ON.

send-as-sms-on-iphone-450x800.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.