cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an add-on to get extra SMS on $10 50minutes/50SMS 30 day plan?

michelb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I was just wondering if it's possible to just keep the same plan but add more SMS messages.

I don't need much voice (50 minutes is fine) so I'd rather not get the $25 UL voice / UL SMS.

Let me know.  Thanks,
Mike

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker unfortunately Allo has pretty much been abandoned by Google at this point--which isn't surprising since the uptake was very low.  Google is all over the map on their messaging front.  I think they are concentrating on RCS now as a replacement for SMS/MMS as well as for both Allo and Hangouts (personal--Hangouts will still exist for the forseeable future for business use I think--so confusing).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I meant Duo for the FaceTime side of the Apple video calls.   I should have listed Allo, as I am aware of that also (or Hangouts, or any other SMS/MMS app)

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, there's that dang iMessage thing again.  Grrrr.....

Just play nice with Skype and/or Duo, and everyone would be happy!

@stonechucker Duo is fine but I don't really do video calls other than occasionally for work, where we use either Slack calling or Skype for Business (formerly Lync).  Maybe you meant Allo, but it's a lost cause by far.  Skype is okay but most of my friend and family either never used it or don't really use it any more. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, there's that dang iMessage thing again.  Grrrr.....

Just play nice with Skype and/or Duo, and everyone would be happy!

srlawren

@dna2016 wrote:

@michelb, unfortunately there is not an option at this time, but hopefully there will be something coming down the pipeline in the near future.  I guess for now you'll need to be very particular about who to respond to.  Keep in mind there's always the option to use WhatsApp if you have a wifi connection at home, or work.  

@michelb this is a good suggestion if you are most often in places with access to WiFi.  Personally I only keep in touch with a few people* via texting now, and have the vast majority of my messaging via WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Slack, Skype, and BBM (with one very important contact that doesn't seem to want to move the coversation to WhatsApp LOL).  

* mostly stubborn iPhone users that refuse to use anything other than iMessage.  I do wish iMessage was available for Android--it would quickly become the defacto standard if they would pull their heads out of their butts and offer it up.

srlawren

@dna2016 wrote:

I think from a business perspective having unlimited at $20 might not work considering what the market is doing. 

@dna2016 thanks for the detailed reply!  In regards to the statement I quoted above, I fully admit I did zero market research to look at what the competitors are offering before posting those possible options.  You're probably right that the add-on approach would be more viable.  Cheers!

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@michelb, unfortunately there is not an option at this time, but hopefully there will be something coming down the pipeline in the near future.  I guess for now you'll need to be very particular about who to respond to.  Keep in mind there's always the option to use WhatsApp if you have a wifi connection at home, or work.  

dna2016

@srlawren pretty good suggestions.  I think PM will have to take a look at the numbers and see if this type of add-on will create not only more value, but how it may effect the bottom line.  I think a $5 add-on for additional 50-100 texts is a great idea.  Or maybe revamp the current $20 voice plan to include 200 outgoing texts and unlimited incoming. I think from a business perspective having unlimited at $20 might not work considering what the market is doing.  And PM is not really the type of company to move the needle very much.  Plus this is a 3rd tier company so I'm sure there isn't too much effort in making a lot of changes to the plans. 

But definitely I agree, there is a pretty big gap between the $10 and the $25, and there should be something in the middle to accommodate or at least provide a little bit of relief without giving away the farm.    Will be interesting to see what PM comes up with.

michelb

The $25 is actually a bit of a step down for us because we are in the Ottawa area and so we are often on the Quebec side and so I think the "Province-wide" calling doesn't work well for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michelb wrote:

I forgot to ask but is there anyway to restart a new month so I get more SMS?

How about switching up to the next plan at $25 and get unlimited province talk and unlimited texting? You can do that right away and not be out very much due to being on the $10 plan.

Deposit enough funds to cover it, then make the change and you're away.

As mentioned, renewing the same plan early requires the moderator. You can also do a future change to whatever other plan to happen at your renewal time.

I think you can restart your month...but you'll lose whatever balance is remaining on your current month. Good luck.

@michelb

You will need to contact moderator to renew your plan earlier if you need more texts.  Expect 2-3 day wait though...

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

michelb

I forgot to ask but is there anyway to restart a new month so I get more SMS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michelb wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

WhatsApp or email-to-text are an option but it's not a good solution for us as we primarily need the cell (and SMS) when there's no wifi.

Echoing srlawren's message - we're likely going to switch to another cell provider so that we can have more SMS but still have a relatively low cost.

Thanks

I would have to admit that I still keep the lowest cost pre-paid plan from Koodo in the back of my mind. And then the boosters that roll over. But with a little work in this community I get free cell service like their marketing material says. No one else offers that possibility.

michelb

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

WhatsApp or email-to-text are an option but it's not a good solution for us as we primarily need the cell (and SMS) when there's no wifi.

Echoing srlawren's message - we're likely going to switch to another cell provider so that we can have more SMS but still have a relatively low cost.

Thanks

Alan_K

@srlawren Thanks for tagging me! I'll be more than happy to share this constructive feedback with the team. Smiley Happy

popping

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

The $10 plan has unlimited incoming text message.  Therefore, the 50 outgoing texts is equivalent to plan with 100 incoming and outgoing texts .

@popping I'm not sure I see your logic here.  If you had a plan that could do 100 incoming and outgoing (I believe you mean combined count here), then you could only hanlde up to 100 total messages regardless of their direction. With the $10/50/50, you could receive a billion incoming text messages in the 30 days if you wanted to.  You definitely could not with a combined in/out of 100.  

Sorry, it was a generalized statement.  Usually, an incoming text will follows with an outgoing text and vice versa.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can try to dodge this limit by using email-to-text from your personal email. Replace "5551234567" with the actual number you want to send to.

• Bell Mobility – 5551234567@txt.bell.ca I think, untested

Rogers will require the receiver to reply "Read" to read the message, which counts as 1 message on THEIR side.

• Rogers – 5551234567@pcs.rogers.com
  • Fido – 5551234567@fido.ca
  • Chatr – 5551234567@pcs.rogers.com or 5551234567@fido.ca (Personally tried, both works)

Telus will send you the message into your phone without extra action.

• Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile – 5551234567@msg.telus.com

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

srlawren

@Alan_K we are seeing a lot of these types of threads in the community.  There are a lot of people that need more than 50 texts but aren't comfortable stepping up to the next price tier which would get them unlimited texting and unlimited calling (albeit at a reduced scope of province-wide) for $25. 

Ideally there would be a middle ground here.  Here's a couple of things you could offer to address this gap and make a litte extra from your budget-concious customers while better meeting their needs as well:

1) Have a $5 add on to purchase some number [let's say 100 for argument sake?] extra outbound messages.  So with the $15 gap between the $10/50/50 and the $25/prov-wide/unlimited text plans, you could purchase up to 300 extra outbound messages.  These could stay on the account until used up like the domestic LD and data add-ons.

2) Offer a $15-20 plan with 50-100 mins Canada-wide calling and unlimited texting in both directions instead of just inbound.

Food for thought?  🙂  Thanks for reading!

srlawren

@popping wrote:

The $10 plan has unlimited incoming text message.  Therefore, the 50 outgoing texts is equivalent to plan with 100 incoming and outgoing texts .

@popping I'm not sure I see your logic here.  If you had a plan that could do 100 incoming and outgoing (I believe you mean combined count here), then you could only hanlde up to 100 total messages regardless of their direction. With the $10/50/50, you could receive a billion incoming text messages in the 30 days if you wanted to.  You definitely could not with a combined in/out of 100.  

popping

@michelb

PM does not have text add-on.  But you can use WhatsApp over Wifi for texting.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@michelb wrote:

Hi,

I was just wondering if it's possible to just keep the same plan but add more SMS messages.

I don't need much voice (50 minutes is fine) so I'd rather not get the $25 UL voice / UL SMS.

Let me know.  Thanks,
Mike

No there is no texting add-ons you can get to increase your amount of texts with the $10 plan

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.