cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PM still competitive?

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was looking at getting a new plan for my dad since his contract was ending. I considered PM. In the past PM had great value compared to other companies but this time around, Fido, Koodo and Virgin had great plans too, like $40 for 4Gb,$50 for 8gb (not bad considering all other benefits)

Did PM get less competitive over the years? I was thinking those middle range companies give better promos during holidays which is why I am seeing such great offerings. I dont want to think that PM is getting worse. What do you think? 

16 REPLIES 16

@Leaving wrote:

Which one?  

I prefer data over other perks etc.

I am wondering if PM's hands are tied because of Telus and Koodo?

At one point, Public Mobile was a seperate business entity. At this point, not only is Public Mobile owned by Telus, I consider it to be only a brand name or as a Telus product. As such, Public Mobile follows Telus's directives.

@Leaving 

You mean you never left? Lol....i knew pm would grow on you! Happy Noel and a very merry new year!

Leaving

Which one?  

I prefer data over other perks etc.

I am wondering if PM's hands are tied because of Telus and Koodo?

Promos come and go, here and there, at any given moment somebody has some kind of better limited-time offer than everyone else.

The third-tier operators all have basically the same plans at basically the same prices. But they each do things a little differently, they each have some kind of unique gimmick. At PM the gimmick is Rewards. The Rewards typically don't provide as much immediate or short-term gain as competing gimmicks but they keep paying slow and steady and pull ahead in the long-term.

PM sometimes has great deals to attract new customers, free gifts to retain existing customers. Sometimes they do these things on their own schedule, often they seem to do these things primarily as a response vs what the competition offers.

I think PM is definitely competitive.

People can hop from provider to provider in the endless hunt for a better deal and if they're on the ball then they can get a streak of good savings. Along with constant worries about number ports and buying new SIM cards, etc.

Or people can stick with PM over the long haul and enjoy Rewards+gifts which gradually save more overall. It's a calmer choice which emphasizes patience instead of impulsiveness. And which doesn't require frequent visits to wireless stores/kiosks/lineups.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The thing people have do when comparing price plans from various companys is to factor in every thing. PM has a nice reward system to reduce your prepaid plan and at times have generous add-on giveaways.

saeliux

Thanks for the discussion. It does appear that competition has created better options for everyone. There is something for every need.. 

I wanted to move my dad to PM but he needs at least 8gb and unfortunately, I found great options elsewhere which I thought was strange. I was thinking PM was always going to be the best for all cases... 

I appreciate PM business model. It is the best prepaid, best for low usage, and best for people that does not need big gigs plans. Rewards are awesome. I love the US boosters for short trips. PM has saved me and my family so much money. 

@Dorae 

Congratulations you have escaped the clutches of the evil overlord! Welcome to public mobile! Enjoy the rewards, the savings, no bill surprises and no overages!  Dont forget to load your free 2gb data add on and the 500 min international calling add on and enter the two holiday contests.

Dorae
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just ported my number to PM from Fido, I've done my research and PM is offering the BEST out of the other two competitors in the same price range. (Chatr n Lucky)

@saeliux 

One could say that between freedom and public mobile these two providers have forced the industry to lower prices and offer more data or lose their customer base. So the industry has  become more competitive as a result while pm hasnt changed they have remained the same.

@saeliux

It's not your imagination.  For customers who are willing to go postpaid, there are better options when it comes to price, amount of data, and speed of data. Customers can still get a good deal here, but that's largely because of rewards. There was a time when Public Mobile was almost the gold standard for plans. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The market for big gig plans have evolved significantly in the past few years in favor of the consumer.  Public Mobile has not adjusted the pricing to match.  To that end, this service has become less competitive.  I would say anyone shopping for plans with 5GB data or more might find better value elsewhere.  That said, the foundation for this service which is rewards has continued to play a major role in the derivation of value.  Those who play the long game and are willing to go after rewards will find the overall pricing to be just fine.  I am confident that most of the long haulers in this community will agree with me.  

Since this is not a shopping forum, I will keep the commentary at the cursory level.  @saeliux , you are welcome to send me a PM if you want to take the discussion offline.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@saeliux honestly, public typically follows the plans of lucky or chatr. So no they are not. Really competitive as they once were especially for new customers. The more rewards you earn however the better the pricing becomes, but it takes time and effort.

You might want to also check out zoomer (Rogers network)plans iirc they had a decent promo recently, not sure if it's expired

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

In our cases,  @saeliux , 2 of 4 of us switched to PM, a 3rd will be switching over in the next day or two, and the 4th is waiting for the phone payout from KOODO to become less substantial.  

In short, we feel the switch is overall worth it with the associated plans and rewards that go along with it. 

@saeliux 

......and if you are in western Canada and activate before Dec 31st 11:59pm est (11:45pm would be better) you will not only have enough time to add the holiday gifts if you do it at london drugs they will give you a free sim card and a $10 account credit.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@saeliux 

You can see plans on link below.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/plans

4.5 gigs for $40 or $38 for 5 gigs.with auto-pay.

6 gigs $45 or $43 with auto-pay for 6.5 gigs 

8 gigs for $50 or $48 with auto-pay for 8.5. If in Quebec 9.5 gigs.

Visit link below before signing up. Promotion right now for 2nd month free and 5 gig add-on.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Boxing-Week-Savings-Get-your-second-mon...

Use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus.

Once activated if you activate soon before the 31st. You can claim free holiday gifts. 500 international calling minutes 2 gig add-on and enter an Amazon draw.

All info on below link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/More-is-Merrier-is-back-Free-gifts-for-...

I'd say that's really competitive which is why we are all with PM. Even people that leave come back.

Happy Holidays!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It depends on your usage.  If you need lots of data then other providers maybe better to suit your needs.  If you occasionally use data then PM maybe a good fit.  Also PM provides additional savings like autopay, loyalty, referral, and community awards.

Need Help? Let's chat.