cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Canadian talk/text necessary to get the US talk/text add on?

Brucee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To enable a US Roaming talk/text add on, does your basic plan need to include Canadian talk/text? I'm assuming so, but just double checking.

I'll be in the States for 2 months so I'd rather not pay for for Canadian talk/text (since I won't even be in Canada) but will need to still talk/text to both Canadian and American numbers. Since I'll be gone for a while I was going to temporarily switch my current plan so I'm not paying for the privilege of talking/texting from Canada when I'm not actually in Canada.

16 REPLIES 16

Brucee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great, thanks! 

That's what I figured 🙂

We need a service like ting.com, which is a Canadian company, but isn't allowed to operate on any of the Canadian Networks, because the MVNOs have no standing here.  The olyopoly that is Robelus, keeps low cost providers locked out, and we consumers get shafted time and again.

@imm1304, that is exactly what I was initially thinking

I believe PM will become much more, and then some.

Canada requires more Carriers like PM of this Business model, honest, no ring around the rosey, and fantastic service

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I understand the need to clarify this, @makkahn28.

I feel that those service termination clauses at other carriers are primarily there to limit abuse on a great roaming deal and not due to government regulations (just my guess).  Many of those are "roam like home" plans where the home plan's allowances are being used for a small daily/monthly fee while roaming.  

PM is happy to sell us the US roaming add-ons repeatedly which I presume is fairly profitable. PM's add-ons are more detached from the home plan and come with their own separate allowances that do not eat into the home plan.  

Perhaps this is the greatest experiment, IF PM does go Full Global Roam eventually, which I would FULLY and 100% Whole-heartedly support, Roam should be an Add-On Only

We need more Prepaids, PM is the first such great model of excellence, and I would LOVE to see more Stuff NORMALLY reserved for Postpaid, Not the grace period or credit checks mind you, BUT the best parts

Also, would be nice IF PM also had a service where IF someone had to go somewhere out of NA for extended times, having a "Babysit the A/C" Service, so like no talk, BUT having a dormant fee to keep A/C on Ice as PM Client is out of Canada for a bit, and when coming back, A/C is waiting for the PM Client to pick off where they left off

@MarieHelene_L@imm1304, thanks for the clarification.

At least with Prepaid, IF ONE had to spend an extended time in US, at least because US Roam is an Add-On, and not the Conventional form, at least PM won't cut.

But, still, I would have thought that in the terms of service, that EVEN if you pay for your plan every 30 or 90 day, and have US Roam Add-On, I would have thought that PM would still have it in clause that IF a user that was using the service, Even if they paid for their regular Rate Canada service and also paid for their US Roam Add-On, for over, lets say, 50% of the time, that the Carrier would have the right to intervene.

I know that carriers like Telus, Bell, Freedom have such clauses, also, take Sugar Mobile and the Rogers thing, Though perhaps not 100% the same, But still similar in general.

Just a way to understand and ensure that PPL have correct info, and ensuring PPL don't take these for granted, could have potential consequences for all, and I am sure that most PPL want a fair use policy

SMS on the fongo VoIP app is available at $3.00 per month, to regular cellular numbers.

imm1304

and we have a confirmation.  Thanks supermod @MarieHelene_L for that.. we posted at the exact same time 😄

imm1304

Hey @makkahn28,

Adding to @MarieHelene_L's response above, I believe there would be no termination of service in the event that a customer is in the US for 2-3 months.  Since the customer has pre-paid for the plan at home, the base plan will remain active.  Purchasing the US roaming add-ons is optional and can be repeatedly done every 10 days.  

If keeping the Canadian number available, especially sms, is absolutely critical; one would opt to go this route.  

It may be cheaper to purchase a local US sim card with a lot of data and use call forwarding with a free voip service.. but this would sacrifice on the sms.  

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@makkahn28

As long as your plan is active and you don't spend more than 90 days without renewing your plan we will not deactivate your account! 🙂 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

It might be a better idea to look at a local talk text and data plan.  Doing this, you could forward your Canadian number to an app such as fongo, and use that on data/wifi for making and receiving Canadian calls.

it may work out cheaper.

What I mean, is, If one was in US for 2 Months straight, will PM still allow a PM Client the service? Just so that PPL know the guidelines, rules and avoid such potential misunderstanding

I am NOT sure IF that would be allowed.

@Shazia_K, just curious:

IF someone was going to be in the US for 2 Months, would PM permit that person to have that kind of service?

I know in General that carriers usually have certain conditions where IF one was roaming over a CERTAIN % of the time their plan would normally be terminated, Is it the same for this, US Roam Add-On, or is it different rule set-up?

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Brucee

Thanks for this great question! I'll be glad to clarify this for everyone 🙂

In fact, you're right! In order to have these options enabled in US roaming, you have to have them active in your base plan first. If your plan doesn't include text you won't be able to text while in the US, and same thing for calls. 

Thanks, 

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Yes, the General rule of policy:

No Talk Rate plan, NO US Talk Roam

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

You need a voice base plan, to have any voice service.

Saying that, I would imagine you would need some form of LD calling, whether addon minutes or at minimum Canada wide.

As ive not used roaming, I can not comment any further.

Need Help? Let's chat.