Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Invalid Sim - How do you get support - writing 5 messages to Moderators too

@Crash2 wrote:

ios version is 7.1.1  

If I leave the sim in and reboot or reset i get "no service".

If i pop it out and pop it back in I get "invalid sim" 

As for the unlocking I have talked to 3 seperate rogers agents  all saying the device is unlocked.

Just so we can check specs, what is the model of the iPhone (on the back)?  A1332?

Also, while it probably wouldn't help here, it probably wouldn't hurt to at least update the iOS to 7.2.1 (unless you're holding back because it's jailbroken)...

I don't have my iPhone 4 handy right now, but will check a few things when I get home.  Meanwhile, if you want to check the lock status yourself, there may be some free or cheap ones available, but I've always used imei.info... unfortunately they charge $2.99 USD to check the carrier lock, but it's been reliable for me in the past.  It'll actually look in the Apple GSX database, whereas I'm not sure if the Rogers reps are looking there.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As for westcoater found no value in his posts or thoughts .....   seems like a guy just wanting to post for the sake of posting maybe to get badges.  Read all the support articles.  Only value he added was calgary ben and he had some great questions.

Here is were we are at now.  Tried a phone locked to koodo and it worked.   this means the card and account setup is fine.

Here seems to be the missing piece:  On a 4 rebooting  or doing a hard reset will not work or local device phone reset will not work.  

You need to """go into Itunes and do a complete factory reset for the phone unlock""" to completely.   Working now.  

I do appreciate the assistance from the few who actually tried to help.

Now have to go post solution - in other forums

Highlighted

@Crash2 wrote:

Here seems to be the missing piece:  On a 4 rebooting  or doing a hard reset will not work or local device phone reset will not work.  

You need to """go into Itunes and do a complete factory reset for the phone unlock""" to completely.   Working now.  

Awesome, glad you got it resolved!  I was also going to suggest (and mentioning it now, for anyone else reading and seeking help): Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings, as that can also often net the same result.

By the way, the iPhone 4 will need some additional steps to get data working.  You can find details about doing so in this post.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Actually that will not work - it has to be done via itune - I tried it on the device resetting network setting all settings and data and all setting.

You can not get the full unlock on a iphone 4 with out going into itune to reset it.

Highlighted

@Crash2 wrote:

Actually that will not work - it has to be done via itune - I tried it on the device resetting network setting all settings and data and all setting.

You can not get the full unlock on a iphone 4 with out going into itune to reset it.

Ah yes, you're right... iOS 7 didn't have over-the-air unlocking capabilities, and relied on iTunes!  The iPhone 4S leapfrogged the 4 in capabilities through its support of iOS 9.3.5 (which does support OTA unlocking).

Glad you got it figured out!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alex888 wrote:

Try the APN settings here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ select the carrier as CA - Public Mobile. And set your data to either LTE or Auto.

@Alex888 just wanted to let you know that APN settings only affect mobile data (and consequently MMS messaging).  There is nothing you can do in the APN settings that will resolve an issue of no service, invalid SIM, unable to make phone calls, etc.  APN configuration will only help with data or MMS issues.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Crash2 wrote:

I haven't really played around with iPhone devices since a family member had an iPhone 4 a few years back.  Even afer being unlocked by Apple/the carrier, I believe the factory reset was required after that. The phone then needed to be connected to iTunes and a message similar to "iPhone is sucessfully unlocked" message would be displayed.

I believe much of this changed when Apple started allow activation of devices without using iTunes/connecting to a computer, but I can't remember which version that starting happening with.  Part of me is thinking that started being allowed sometime around the days of the iPhone 5 and that you could activate using the phone device itself. 

Further to what I can remember from iPhone 4 days, even after it has been factory unlocked, I do not believe you can just keep switching different carrier sim cards.  For example, if you were using a Telus sim card and wanted to start using a Rogers sim card, I believe factory reset and/or iTunes activation was required (at the very least, you had to connect the phone to the computer and run iTunes, regardless of whether the factory reset was needed).  Otherwise, No service or invalid sim messages would be displayed.