cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Sim - How do you get support - writing 5 messages to Moderators too

Crash2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi;

I am at a lose as what to do next.   I have confirmed 3 time the phone is unlocked!

I have checked my PM acoount says active and paid yet still no service.

I have gone out and bought a new sim and registered it - still no succces

I have rebooted the phone about 100 time include factory and hard resets.

The phone is an Iphone 4  - imei is 01264400******3

I have posted on about 40 forums - listing the issue plus written the moderator group.

This seems like a common problem -  as TONS and TONS of people are Super fustrated with it many just giving up and leaving.  I am actually at that point.

I have even tried stopping the service in lost phone and restarting it.   I am at a complete loss along with it sound like thousands of others having the same issue.

Is there anyway to get support with Public Mobile or I am screwed accept I got ripped off and call it a day! 

26 REPLIES 26

@Crash2 wrote:

Actually that will not work - it has to be done via itune - I tried it on the device resetting network setting all settings and data and all setting.

You can not get the full unlock on a iphone 4 with out going into itune to reset it.

I haven't really played around with iPhone devices since a family member had an iPhone 4 a few years back.  Even afer being unlocked by Apple/the carrier, I believe the factory reset was required after that. The phone then needed to be connected to iTunes and a message similar to "iPhone is sucessfully unlocked" message would be displayed.

I believe much of this changed when Apple started allow activation of devices without using iTunes/connecting to a computer, but I can't remember which version that starting happening with.  Part of me is thinking that started being allowed sometime around the days of the iPhone 5 and that you could activate using the phone device itself. 

Further to what I can remember from iPhone 4 days, even after it has been factory unlocked, I do not believe you can just keep switching different carrier sim cards.  For example, if you were using a Telus sim card and wanted to start using a Rogers sim card, I believe factory reset and/or iTunes activation was required (at the very least, you had to connect the phone to the computer and run iTunes, regardless of whether the factory reset was needed).  Otherwise, No service or invalid sim messages would be displayed.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alex888 wrote:

Try the APN settings here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ select the carrier as CA - Public Mobile. And set your data to either LTE or Auto.

@Alex888 just wanted to let you know that APN settings only affect mobile data (and consequently MMS messaging).  There is nothing you can do in the APN settings that will resolve an issue of no service, invalid SIM, unable to make phone calls, etc.  APN configuration will only help with data or MMS issues.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Crash2 wrote:

Actually that will not work - it has to be done via itune - I tried it on the device resetting network setting all settings and data and all setting.

You can not get the full unlock on a iphone 4 with out going into itune to reset it.

Ah yes, you're right... iOS 7 didn't have over-the-air unlocking capabilities, and relied on iTunes!  The iPhone 4S leapfrogged the 4 in capabilities through its support of iOS 9.3.5 (which does support OTA unlocking).

Glad you got it figured out!

Crash2

CalgaryBen

@Crash2 wrote:

Here seems to be the missing piece:  On a 4 rebooting  or doing a hard reset will not work or local device phone reset will not work.  

You need to """go into Itunes and do a complete factory reset for the phone unlock""" to completely.   Working now.  

Awesome, glad you got it resolved!  I was also going to suggest (and mentioning it now, for anyone else reading and seeking help): Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings, as that can also often net the same result.

By the way, the iPhone 4 will need some additional steps to get data working.  You can find details about doing so in this post.

Crash2

As for westcoater found no value in his posts or thoughts .....   seems like a guy just wanting to post for the sake of posting maybe to get badges.  Read all the support articles.  Only value he added was calgary ben and he had some great questions.

Here is were we are at now.  Tried a phone locked to koodo and it worked.   this means the card and account setup is fine.

Here seems to be the missing piece:  On a 4 rebooting  or doing a hard reset will not work or local device phone reset will not work.  

You need to """go into Itunes and do a complete factory reset for the phone unlock""" to completely.   Working now.  

I do appreciate the assistance from the few who actually tried to help.

Now have to go post solution - in other forums

CalgaryBen

@Crash2 wrote:

ios version is 7.1.1  

If I leave the sim in and reboot or reset i get "no service".

If i pop it out and pop it back in I get "invalid sim" 

As for the unlocking I have talked to 3 seperate rogers agents  all saying the device is unlocked.

Just so we can check specs, what is the model of the iPhone (on the back)?  A1332?

Also, while it probably wouldn't help here, it probably wouldn't hurt to at least update the iOS to 7.2.1 (unless you're holding back because it's jailbroken)...

I don't have my iPhone 4 handy right now, but will check a few things when I get home.  Meanwhile, if you want to check the lock status yourself, there may be some free or cheap ones available, but I've always used imei.info... unfortunately they charge $2.99 USD to check the carrier lock, but it's been reliable for me in the past.  It'll actually look in the Apple GSX database, whereas I'm not sure if the Rogers reps are looking there.

Crash2

excellent thought but is a 3g supported phone.  not 4g or lte.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crash2

Did you try wetcoaster's suggestion?

Crash2

Hi ben;

Thank for trying to help - Ben Much appreciated

ios version is 7.1.1  

If I leave the sim in and reboot or reset i get "no service".

If i pop it out and pop it back in I get "invalid sim" 

I have purchased a new sim and reset to it but no luck.

As for the unlocking I have talked to 3 seperate rogers agents  all saying the device is unlocked.  thanks in for helping.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Crash2

I don't even feel like addressing your exagerations and starting to insult customers like you who are here to help... Don't like the support concept? Public Mobile might not be for you.

But for your original problem: It's been discussed extensively on this community and is mentioned in the Knowledge Base that older iPhones / iOS might need an update, obtained here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Edit: @CalgaryBen has posted while I was scrambling for the links. He's one of my go-to iOS experts here, while I'm not even an iOS user.

CalgaryBen

@Crash2 wrote:

I am at a lose as what to do next.   I have confirmed 3 time the phone is unlocked!

@Crash2 you mention in the title that your iPhone shows the SIM as being invalid.  Can you provide the exact text?  e.g. "SIM Not Valid"?  What version of iOS do you have?  I just want to confirm whether you're on an iPhone 4 (latest iOS would be 7.2.1 IIRC) or 4S (latest iOS would be 9.3.5), as the troubleshooting steps may differ between these two.

Also, you indicated you've confirmed the phone is unlocked -- what method of confirmation have you used?

The "SIM Not Valid" (and "SIM Not Supported" in later iOS versions) message generally shows up when the iPhone isn't unlocked, so this is definitely an avenue worth looking into further.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crash2 wrote:

Dude   what part is exaggerated?  Alot of people are having the same issue -  yet it seems some magical behind the scene fix is done by the MODS and then works yet no one is saying what that fix is and waiting 24 hr to get a a response from the MOD team.  You might be right I might need to lower my expectations - and hey it's only $40 bucks wasted and as you can see I am not scared to post....LOL

Please do. No one is stopping you. The more the merrier.

You exaggerated on extrapolating that thousands are having this problem. Yes the number that do, will come here seeking help. That's how the deal works. That is not saying that thousands have had this problem. Yes, you're not alone.

Then those that do come here, after getting the problem resolved by the mods, very commonly disappear to go on with their lives. The regulars here always like to know how someone got something resolved but most people can't be bothered.

I think it's entirely valid to complain about response times. Sometimes they're appalling. But we save money here and no other provider offers all these rewards to save even more.

Crash2

Dude   what part is exaggerated?  Alot of people are having the same issue -  yet it seems some magical behind the scene fix is done by the MODS and then works yet no one is saying what that fix is and waiting 24 hr to get a a response from the MOD team.  You might be right I might need to lower my expectations - and hey it's only $40 bucks wasted and as you can see I am not scared to post....LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crash2 wrote:

I am sure there are happy customers - but 24 hr later still no service - I  might be a happy customer too if I could get a working system on PM.....LOL

Agreed. Just your exaggerations are out of line. The response times from the mods vary all over the place. In my time here I've seen a couple hours to upwards to a week.

I signed up here without issue and have been using the service without issue.

Crash2

I am sure there are happy customers - but 24 hr later still no service - I  might be a happy customer too if I could get a working system on PM.....LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crash2

Way more many thousands of people are silently, happily enjoying their service without issue that they set up without isse. The number that have any problem will come here. Of course you're going to see those.

Crash2

Dude you basically called me a liar publically - what where you expecting?  Not looking to get into it just ttrying to solve a 24 hr old issue that seems to be a plague here!  Just type in invalid sim and count response-  I would have thought there would be a clear resolution!  Seems reading the post most people just give up and leave!    Mod Team has contacted me guess we will see and hopefully I can write a comprehensive.... solution for future users. 

@Crash2 wrote:

Dude posted on public facebook , reddit , red flags, usenet ......  the 8 posts here in 24 hours are just trying to get support.    If you can not help don't jump in tool.

Hey Dude just saying that if you knew about PM you would know this is the only place to get some service to solve your issue and wondering why you posted on those other forums?  But I do see you are an intelligent user if you have to resort to name calling right away.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Crash2

Dude posted on public facebook , reddit , red flags, usenet ......  the 8 posts here in 24 hours are just trying to get support.    If you can not help don't jump in tool.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Crash2 wrote:

Hi;

I have posted on about 40 forums - listing the issue plus written the moderator group.

This seems like a common problem -  as TONS and TONS of people are Super fustrated with it many just giving up and leaving.  I am actually at that point.

I have even tried stopping the service in lost phone and restarting it.   I am at a complete loss along with it sound like thousands of others having the same issue.

Is there anyway to get support with Public Mobile or I am screwed accept I got ripped off and call it a day! 

What other forums are you posting on as you only have 8 posts here and only registered yetsterday.  It is hard to beleive your numbers when they are so exagerated.  Moderators can take a bit of time to respond between 24-48 hours.  Remember numbers don't lie and are easy to figure out.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Try the APN settings here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ select the carrier as CA - Public Mobile. And set your data to either LTE or Auto.

smp99

@Crash2 wrote:

Is your name Donald Trump? 

I am going to assume that from your location (not a basement or someting) that you can get a Telus or ell signal.  

As suggested - put your SIM in another phone.  Try and find someone with Koodo/Telus and see if their SIM works in your phone. 

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Crash2 wrote:

Hi;

Did you port number from somewhere, or this is a brand new number?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

OUPS!!!! we can read your frustration..Smiley Frustrated..sorry but it's only the moderator-team who will help you @Crash2...

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Crash2 wrote:

Hi;

Have you tried your sim in another phone so you can be 100% sure it's not your iPhone 4. That would be the first step since your plan is in active status. 

Need Help? Let's chat.