cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International texting while travelling

Ttbrowne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I know I can text internationally from home...but when I travel can I still do that? I’m traveling to Dubai and will use wifi for most things but want to be able to text my friends in Dubai and Canada while I’m there...will it work?

5 REPLIES 5

@Ttbrowne wrote:

So I know I can text internationally from home...but when I travel can I still do that? I’m traveling to Dubai and will use wifi for most things but want to be able to text my friends in Dubai and Canada while I’m there...will it work?

The only country that Public Mobile works in other than Canada is the U.S. and that requires a roaming add-on.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ttbrowne 

WhatsApp is what my family use to communicate using wi-fi at airport and hotel before getting a local SIM card.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could use wi-fi apps like TextNow or WhatsApp.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I'm not sure if this works in all cases, but if you leave your sim in a phone in Canada and set up mighty text, an app available for Android and iOS, you can use your phone or laptop on wifi to send a text from your phone in Canada.

Try it now in canada. It's cool. The question is will it work from Dubai?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Once you leave Canada, your Public Mobile phone features will stop working. You can get a free app like TextNow to make/recieve free calls and free texting as long as you have wifi. Alternative is to get a local sim and get a cheap plan while you're abroad.

Need Help? Let's chat.