cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International texting confusion?

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was reading "Incessant texts from 611" thread started by @bradp36 and was confused by the content of the error text he was getting from PM, namely "Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada at this time"...

If I go to the Plans page, it shows International Texting as an option, but the Unlimited Text superscript 3 fine print says "...messaging to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included"...

Looking back through the Community a bit, it looks like international texting was initially not offered on the new plans, but came back in late last summer. If that is the case, both those items above appear to be leftovers from when it was off and should really fixed to avoid confusion. (And if they are right, then just what does the international texting option on the plans page mean?)

13 REPLIES 13

@NB wrote:

Hi, I have the PM international unlimited texting option and am inside Canada. But my sent international texts are not received and I do not receive international text sent to me. My international texts worked normally when I was with Bell.  PM texting works normally with Canadian numbers. Any ideas?

I've always found international text messaging to be a crap-shoot, no matter which carrier I'm using.  Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't, I would say of an unscientific success rate of only about 50% (maybe not that bad but noctoriously unreliable).  The difficulties likelly lie with getting the 2 carriers involved to co-operate with each other.

NB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I have the PM international unlimited texting option and am inside Canada. But my sent international texts are not received and I do not receive international text sent to me. My international texts worked normally when I was with Bell.  PM texting works normally with Canadian numbers. Any ideas?

@zeester wrote:

Hello!

Sorry to revive an old thread, I just needed to confirm: if I have International Text on my plan, that means that I'm able to receive texts coming from outside Canada, right?

Thanks!!

You can receive a text message sent from anywhere but only while you are in Canada connected to the Telus network.

zeester
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

Sorry to revive an old thread, I just needed to confirm: if I have International Text on my plan, that means that I'm able to receive texts coming from outside Canada, right?

Thanks!!

themotors
Thanks for the update! Hopefully PM will consider changing to multi directional sms in the future.

Cheers,

Brent

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @themotors, welcome to Public Mobile!  Unfortunately, as @stonechucker has said, PM currently has no service available outside of Canada, so you must be physically in Canada to use your PM service, regardless of plan or add-on choice.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@themotors

Public Mobile works only inside Canada.  The is not an option available to roam, whether it be voice, txt, or data.  Therefore, no service outside of Canada.

you can send voice, and txt messages internationally if you have it available via base plan and/or ADDONS, but you must be inside Canada to do so.

stonechucker

themotors
According to Kayla_A (above)

If you choose an International texting plan, you will be able to send, and receive, texts anywhere in the world.

So which is true? Your response, or theirs?

Seems to be two opinions on whether a person can be in a foreign country and be able to send a text back to Canada using PM.

If any one else can clarify I would appreciate it!

I'm new to this forum, and a new subscriber.

So far so good. Great company.

Cheers,

Brent

Hey @themotors,

unfortunately, no, texting from outside Canada on a public mobile phone is not possible.  There is no outgoing service provided outside of Canada.

you can only use the service inside Canada, but you can send internationally.

themotors
I have just signed up with public mobile. I have a global / international texting plan. So just to be perfectly clear, if I'm in the Dominican Republic I can send texts back to Toronto?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Yes, I completely understand @JaK.

Do not worry, this is a known issue 🙂

Thanks,

Kalla

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks @Kalla_A, for confirming that international texting is available.

I understand that this was likely a glitch, but the point I was trying to make is that the error text that PM was sending @bradp36 is misleading and should be fixed. Instead of "Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada at this time", which is false, it should be something like "Sorry, your plan does not support text messaging outside of Canada".

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @JaK,

What you saw is regarding Canada-wide texting plans.

If you choose an International texting plan, you will be able to send, and receive, texts anywhere in the world. 

The messages @bradp36 was receiving were just a result of a glitch.

I hope this clears up the confusion!

Cheers, 

Kalla

Need Help? Let's chat.