cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International roaming question

tbpom1003
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm traveling to South Korea for couple weeks.

Wondering if I can pick up some calls from Canada. My work needs to call me.

I know skype or messengers would be the best option, but for some situation, and those who don't know I'm not in Canada, they will just phone me.

and will they get charged for long distance or international call?

FYI, I have $40 per 30 days plan

Thanks for your input in advance

4 REPLIES 4

pkara01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If they are calling Canada number and you receive that call out of Canada, they wont be charged for international call but you have to have a plan for international roaming or it is not going to be cost effective.

Call them back from other apps like skype or whatsapp. These two I have used in the past while abroad.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could either buy a local sim or use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow, Skype, or Signal.

@tbpom1003 

Your best option since pm does not offer roaming outside of the US would be to download the fongo app. Call forward your pm number while still in Canada to your fongo number. You can then get a local sim card while away for service and you will recieve your pm phone calls on your fongo app/number while on wifi and mobile data. You will have voicemail and can recieve texts on your fongo # for free or you can also get a textnow # for free texting in/out while on wifi and mobile data.

If you have no promos tied to your $40 plan you may want to schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $25 or $15 plan while away and schedule it to change back upon your return. Since anyone calling your pm number or fongo number would be calling a canadian number they would only get charged long distance if they would normally be charged it to call you while in Canada.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@tbpom1003 wrote:

Hi, I'm traveling to South Korea for couple weeks.

Wondering if I can pick up some calls from Canada. My work needs to call me.

I know skype or messengers would be the best option, but for some situation, and those who don't know I'm not in Canada, they will just phone me.

and will they get charged for long distance or international call?

FYI, I have $40 per 30 days plan

Thanks for your input in advance

Public Mobile plans only work if you are in Canada. There is no international roaming except you can use it in the US if you purchase a US roaming add on.

Need Help? Let's chat.