cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls

Ihanrath
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am travelling to Asia this winter and would like to be able to make calls from within Asia. Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ihanrath wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion. I understand that as long as I leave my phone on "airplane mode" I will be able to use data when in a WIFI area?

@Ihanrath using airplane mode is probably smart to preserve your battery.  That said, it's not really required as your phone just won't be able to use any mobile services at all via the Public Mobile SIM card while you're in Asia (so there's no harm in not using airplane mode).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

THEnewfie

@Ihanrath 

Only caveat I have to add to this already solved problem is: 

Most wifi calling/msging apps won't allow you to use the number to sign up for many services that ask you for your phone number. So if there's ever any phone call or text verifications needed you can forget about it (not all the time now, but often enough that it impacted my life at times) ..I believe Snapchat was one such app that I encountered issues with. But don't quote me lol. I know there were a handful of apps that those "TextNow #'s" didn't play nice with 

It's not really a big problem.. just a consideration to think about if you use your number in any verification steps in apps you use 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have access to wi-fi you could use apps like TextNow, Whatsapp, or Skype.

Ihanrath

Thanks for that suggestion. I understand that as long as I leave my phone on "airplane mode" I will be able to use data when in a WIFI area?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Ihanrath 

Unfortunately, PM does not offer international roaming except to USA. 

Might be cheaper to get a local SIM when you arrive in Asia. 

Need Help? Let's chat.