cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Texting

S-K
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I got the $40 plan with free international texting. I'm trying to text to Pakistan but it keeps saying message failed. Is Pakistani not on the texting list? If not how do I text there and what steps can I take to have it added to the list?

29 REPLIES 29

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That worked for me, thanks 🙂 

raghavgururajan

@hs17 

Sorry! I ran out of ideas.

What @srlawren said make sense. You could try sending a message with mobile data turned off. Your message should get stuck on "sending.." for a while,  then long press your message and click "send as text message".

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hs17 wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Public Mobile. Just got it. I asked the agent if I will be able to text internationally and he said yes (I need to text my spouse in Pakistan). I have not been able to text her successfully via SMS thus far.

@hs17 to confirm:  you are physically in Canada, still?

@hs17 wrote:

I have iPhone 5s - does that make a difference? Please advise, it is important that I reach her.

@hs17 actually, it might.  Do you have iMesage set to deliver over SMS?  I'm not sure of the details, but depending what type of phone your spouse is using in Pakistan (iPhone or not iPhone) and whether they have access to mobile data/WiFi you may need to change some settings.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@hs17 wrote:

Does not work either

What doesn't work? Quoting will help so we know the steps tried.

hs17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does not work either

hs17

Does not work

raghavgururajan

Hi There!

Could you try sending a test SMS to different phone number(s) of different carrier(s) in Pakistan? If any of those succeeds, then the problem is actually with the receiving carrier that is used by your spouse.

I had the same issue with sending SMS to India. Some numbers worked and some did not. Then found out that those number that did not work, belonged to same carrier.

Regards,

RG.

Input the plus sign +, followed by the country code and local number.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@hs17Try 01192<your10digitnumber>

+ automated dialing gets confused if your location changes and your iPhone settings didn't get updated accordingly. (usually gets better if you reset the phone).

hs17

Hello,

I'm new to Public Mobile. Just got it. I asked the agent if I will be able to text internationally and he said yes (I need to text my spouse in Pakistan). I have not been able to text her successfully via SMS thus far. I tried troubleshooting by inputting +92 number - that did not work.

I have iPhone 5s - does that make a difference? Please advise, it is important that I reach her.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Try this on your samsung phone:samsunginternat.PNG

I doubt it will work, but it's the only thing I could find on google for a samsung phone.

@S-K wrote:

Yes I've texted them before through a different service from Canada. It worked fine

Were they also able to text you?

I wonder if you contacted them in another form, maybe email, and ask them to send you a text. You could just reply to that message and see if it works.

011 92 or +92 should work theoretically.

@chukdefatey wrote:

@S-K wrote:

Hi, 

I got the $40 plan with free international texting. I'm trying to text to Pakistan but it keeps saying message failed. Is Pakistani not on the texting list? If not how do I text there and what steps can I take to have it added to the list?

Start a new text message by manually typing in the number. Like this +92 followed by the mobile number (+92abcdefghij). Do not reply from your Previous text thread when you were with the previous provider.   So in plain English start a fresh message by entering the number

When it comes to incoming calls and text messages from outside North America, from what I've noticed, Public Mobile usually incorrectly adds a 1 before the number.  It'll show something such as 1011xxxxxxxxxxxxx for an overseas number for an incoming call or text message.  Unfotunately, that formatting is wrong, and if you dial a number like that or try sending a message to that number, it will fail.  With the extra 1 in the number, it's close enough to produce a match to your contact list, but the number is actually wrong.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@S-K wrote:

Hi, 

Start a new text message by manually typing in the number. Like this +92 followed by the mobile number (+92abcdefghij). Do not reply from your Previous text thread when you were with the previous provider.   So in plain English start a fresh message by entering the number

Dial the number as a voice call. You'll either get a ringtone (because it works) or an automated complaint about Long Distance charges (because it costs extra). If you get something else then you're not dialing the number correctly, no Talk, no Text.

Pakistan is not on the list of countries covered by Public Mobile (Telus) International Long Distance Add-ons... so I suspect no special arrangements or partnerships with Pakistan-based telcoms... and Pakistan is a huge place with countless competitors so service in any given area might be highly variable... so Text may work or Text may not work, and if it doesn't work thenthe problem could be at either end.

Non-SMS apps like Whatsapp, FaceTime, or Skype can still connect (through Data or through WiFi) if both sides run the same software. 

Samsung ??...what model or version ?

S-K

Samsung 

@S-K wrote:

Yes I've texted them before through a different service from Canada. It worked fine

How about your phone then...what kinda phone are you using ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

Are you on the $10 plan with limited texting ? Have you used up all your texting for this period ?

lol I asked that and then retracted when I remembered he said a $40 plan...but he caught me 🙂

Edit: lol like I did you 🙂

S-K

S-K

@Jb456 wrote:

Are you currently in Canada? Can only text internationally if you're in Canada.

Double check the number...think it is 011 the country code (92 maybe?)

..then area code..then number..

Also do you get any error message or fail to send message? 

Yes, I'm getting a failed to send nessage

You'll be able to text to international numbers with Public Mobile...including Pakistan. If you've confirmed that you're texting the correct number, ...make sure the recipient can recieve texts from here.

S-K

Yeah. Everything else is fine. I'm on the $40 plan with free international texting and free Canada wide calling and 5GB data. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@S-K wrote:

That's not working either and I have texted tha number before while in Canada through a different network. 

Are all your services working fine otherwise?

What plan are you on?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Are you currently in Canada? Can only text internationally if you're in Canada.

Double check the number...think it is 011 the country code (92 maybe?)

..then area code..then number..

Also do you get any error message or fail to send message? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@S-K wrote:

That's not working either and I have texted tha number before while in Canada through a different network. 

Are all your services working fine otherwise?

S-K

S-K

But I'm unable to do that. 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

@S-K wrote:

Hi, 

I got the $40 plan with free inter

Edit: 🙂

Make sure you're using the exit code of 011 or + and then the country code and then the area code and then the number.

Make sure they are able to actually receive international texts and from Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.