cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Spam Calls

PJ14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Everyone, 

I've been with Public Mobile for a couple of years. Lately I have been getting continuous calls from international numbers such as; Congo-Brazzaville, Morocco, Belarus, Burundi, Croatia, Cuba etc. I live in Canada and do not know anyone from these places! I have been getting these weird calls for a couple of months. Before it would only be a couple from different numbers over a few days but lately I have been getting over 20 within a span of 2 hours. All of the numbers are different, so I have to block each and every one. They only ring once and no one responds when I answer. Is there a solution where I can block all international calls? 

Please Help. 

Thank you 

11 REPLIES 11

I just blocked. 

+86 755 8376 5566

NEGATIVE TELEMARKETER

Fixed line China,

Shenzhen- GD

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have an Android, are the spam and filter options turned on in phone->settings?

You can also open a free youmail.com account and use their spam blocking.

Do not call lists are probably useless because international spammers don't have to abide by them, and likely instead use them to mine suckers numbers to call.

Like the old song goes, "Oh baby it's a wild world . . ."

Yes. I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@PJ14 Faced with a spammer yesterday. Just block that number and add your number in the Do Not Call List.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PJ14 

The only way to stop those calls would be to block them individually. If they are coming from unknown numbers, you can SET RULES on your phone app to block all incoming unknown numbers.

There is also an option on my phone to block strangers. I believe that will block everyone who is not on my contact list.

Screenshot_20200401_135502.jpg

The only other option you will have is to change your number.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The spammers always come out during times of upheaval.  I got a couple of calls today.  

@JoyLuck wrote:

Block the number(s).  If they keep calling with alternate numbers then I keep blocking those ... they'll run out of phone numbers eventually.

Also for Canada and US...

Register your number on the (Canada) National Do Not Call List and the (USA) National Do Not Call Registry 

@PJ14 

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different number than the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND  block, block and block some more!!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@PJ14 wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

I've been with Public Mobile for a couple of years. Lately I have been getting continuous calls from international numbers such as; Congo-Brazzaville, Morocco, Belarus, Burundi, Croatia, Cuba etc. I live in Canada and do not know anyone from these places! I have been getting these weird calls for a couple of months. Before it would only be a couple from different numbers over a few days but lately I have been getting over 20 within a span of 2 hours. All of the numbers are different, so I have to block each and every one. They only ring once and no one responds when I answer. Is there a solution where I can block all international calls? 

Please Help. 

Thank you 

Yes unfortunately as mentioned blocking and ignoring them seems to be the only option for spam calling. 

Your only other option is to get a new number, although it wouldn't mean that you wouldn't eventually start receiving these calls again as they operate with auto diallers and eventually every number gets these nuisance calls every now and again.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@PJ14  I have never heard of one  like that. The 2 ways that I know are, you can basically block them individually  as you have been doing or eliminate all unknown calls by only allowing callers on your contact list only.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Block the number(s).  If they keep calling with alternate numbers then I keep blocking those ... they'll run out of phone numbers eventually.

Also for Canada and US...

Register your number on the (Canada) National Do Not Call List and the (USA) National Do Not Call Registry 

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think blocking is really your only option. I can imagine how annoying that must be. 

Need Help? Let's chat.