cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Calling Holiday Giveaway UK

Tirzin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do you know if the countries available in the International Calling Holiday Giveaway includes the UK? I know that the UK is not included in the list on the page where you purchase add-ons. However, I'm asking because I received 400 Holiday Giveaway international calling minutes a year ago. I have used 308 of those minutes calling the United Kingdom. The last call I made was maybe four or five months ago. I tried to call the UK today, and it doesn't work. My account shows that I still have used only 308 of the 400 minutes. So was the UK removed from the list recently?

I realize that I can purchase 1000 UK minutes for $15, which I may do, but I don't understand why it worked before, but not now.

16 REPLIES 16

@AE_Collector 

That's similar to the the data add ons with the august 2019 data gift started then 2019's holiday data add on got started. I wonder if this years holiday data add on will get tapped?

Did you look to see if the newly used minutes are coming off the old 400 minute International add-on or the new 500 minute add-on? Since the new Give away add-on is an add-on that technically is no longer available I think it is identical to the old one as @Anonymous  said so you should be good.

I used 2 of my 400 minutes in the summer to call the USA and then I used 1 more minute to the USA since receiving the recent gift and it was deducted from the new gift, not the old. I’m going to have these minutes sitting there forever at this rate!

AE_Collector

Tirzin

That is absolutely right. The PM long distance prices are far better than what they can do in Britain. So I always make the calls from this end.

@Tirzin 

I'm happy to hear it's been worked out. I happened to look at long distance calling rates to call Canada from the UK the other day and across the board they averaged a 5 min call=90 min call from a pm customer calling the UK. Calling your friend (or calling them back) saves them all small fortune !

@AE_Collector 

3/3 days?

Tirzin

Well, I was finally able to get through to the cell phone number. I used the +44 method, which worked well; then part way through my conversation, the call got dropped, so I called back using the 011 44... method, and that worked too.

It turns out that the land line I was trying to call was malfunctioning and because of their lockdown they haven't been able to get a repairperson to come in.

Thank you to everyone who chipped in to help me with this. I had intended to credit both darlicious and jb456 with a solution, but discovered that it allows only one. I clicked jb456 first, and that was all it would let me do.

Tirzin

Thanks darlicious and jb456 for the suggestions about calling the London underground and holding the zero for the plus sign instead of using 011 (though I did try it first with 011,and it wouldn't connect "for security reasons"). But the +44 connected me to the underground, so obviously, the international minutes are working. So I will try the person's number again tomorrow. Not now because if it works they might not appreciate a call at 5:00 a.m.

It is strange, though, that I whenever I called before, I used 011 and it worked. I'll post what happens after I try it.

@Jb456 

Lol....i was debating back and forth on including the zero or not since it was tube map from 3 years ago and a free call number for the greater london area. If @Tirzin 's call connects then they have narrowed the issue down to her friends phone.

@darlicious  to many digits in your number. 0343. Should be just 343.

@Tirzin  I call UK all the time. No need for 011.

Just +44 followed by 10 digit number. Not sure what phone you have but mine I hold down the 0 for a few seconds to get the + sign.

The number @darlicious just mentioned works as followed.

Screenshot_20210110_215851.jpg

@Tirzin 

Try calling :  011 44 0343 222 1234 (London Underground Helpline) to see if it goes thru.

@Tirzin 

If you wanted to enable roaming when travelling with most providers you dial 611 first then enter a code or if  you  require customer support while out of country you would dial 611 so these are automatic messages you are getting essentially from telus.....hmmm maybe you can call telus  and ask them if theres an outage or an infastructure issue.

Edit: Have you tried a different number?

Tirzin

When I try the person's land line, I immediately get a message saying something like, "Your call cannot be completed to this number. Then it says to call *611 (which goes to Public Mobile automated service).

When I try the person's cell number it just rings for a very long time and then goes to the message that it can't connect to that number. I don't remember if it then recommends calling *611, though I don't think it does. I had not tried texting because the person cannot text back, so I can't tell if it got through. Anyway, thinking about it, I tried just now. There has been no indication that it didn't work, but, as said, there isn't really a way for me to know.

@Tirzin 

When you call do you get an error message? Dead air? A constant double tone? Can you text the number?

@esjliv : what do you suppose United Kingdom shortens down to? (edited now 🙂 )

@Anonymous , i zigged when I should have zagged, went left when I should have went right.

Copy, paste, scanned, mis-read. Noticed after posted. Then noticed you had it all tidied up!

👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tirzin : Yes. The original international 400 minutes did. Last years gifted 400 minutes did. This years gifted 500 minutes did. Are you calling the same number that you've got through from before? Is your service active?

@esjliv : what do you suppose United Kingdom shortens down to? (edited now 🙂 )

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Tirzin 

• International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela

I do not know about the one from 1 year ago.

@Anonymous  got the others covered 🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Yes

• International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela

Need Help? Let's chat.