cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Mayor / Maire

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province

Yes, @Double_J, you are correct.  But as we found out this past weekend, the offical statement from Public Mobile has now changed.  The statement now reads that incoming calls and texts are received anywhere you are connected to the Public Mobile network.

 

Until last week, this was not the case.

 

 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province

@stonechucker Man you wont give up about your updated policy.  I just told you that I have checked this with several other people and they had the same results 3 months ago, 6 months ago and 2 years ago.

 

This was always the case.  You guys told yourself that it wasn't.  Just admit that you are wrong man. 

Oracle

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province


@Double_J wrote:

Ok guys, I think there are alot of people in this forum are misleading customers.  I have just come back from my trip and have tested my phone.  I am on a province wide calling plan which is unlimited.  

 

I was able to call any number in Alberta (Calgary, Edmonton) as part of my plan.  I was also able to receive calls from anywhere.  I tested this with having someone call me from BC, Alberta, Ontario and intertionally. All calls were received.  The only thing I was not able to do was call BC numbers.  THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED A LONG DISTANCE CALL ADD-ON. 

 

There was no policy change as I checked with someone who conducted the same test over two years ago with the same results.  I also used to work for a major telecommunications company and this is the same functionally by all major players in Canada.  

 

It should be noted that some people are provided financial incentives for posting here.  When PM is paying their kickbacks for managing this site, they will have influence over the people who provide wrong information.

 

In theory if you were a resident of BC and travelled across Canada, your provincial plan would allow you to always make local calls as you move from province to province.  You will only need long distance add-on if you want to call back to your home province or the province that you are not currently in.

 

Dont be fooled into buying something that you don't really need.


There was a change in the OFFICIAL POLICY stated by PM on long distance.  This didn't change what was happening with real world experience.  The person who tested this two years ago would have been told that what they are experiencing was a glitch in the  system and not in line with the OFFICIAL Policy that PM had for their long distance. 

 

Any rewards PM offer is not enough to influence people.  The information that was provided was what OFFICIALLY was out there on how it should work.  They were not trying to get you to buy something you didn't need they were just providing you with PM's official stance on the Province wide calling and Long Distance addons, that were change just recently to represent what actually happens so things line up now.  Real world experience and Official Policy statement.

 

As for getting into name calling that was totally uncalled for and not sure why you even had to go there.


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Mayor / Maire

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province

@Double_J, when I am wrong, I will say I’m wrong.  I wasn’t wrong to quote previously the OFFICAL policy as it had been documented until the change this past weekend.

 

since you seem to have found a better plan elsewhere, as I read earlier today, why don’t you give up your hard on to say people are intentionally misleading subscribers.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province


@Double_J wrote:

 

 

I tested this with having someone call me from BC, Alberta, Ontario and intertionally. All calls were received. 

.


That has always been the case for all carriers and all plans.  For the person receiving a call, it never matters where the call comes from. 

 

But when receiving those calls when travelling in other provinces (with province-wide calling plans), this has always been a nice bonus at Public.

 

 

Now, as for receiving calls while you and your phone are outside of the province that your phone number is from, technically, that is a national-wide long distance call to answer any call.  As for Public Mobile always allowing the call to be answer for those with only a provincial calling plan, that wasn't really supposed to happen.  The policy change in the online documentation is interesting though.

 

Many of us already were aware that these incoming calls were always working.  But now that Public Mobile is telling us that incoming calls will work (even when travelling outside of the phone number's province), the need for Canada-wide long distance calling plans is certainly diminished.  One can now feel assured that all incoming calls will come through, texts and data will be fine, and for calling outside of the province that the user is currently in, something such as Hangouts Dialer could be used.  There's now very little reason to pay extra for Canada-wide calling at Public Mobile, and that could partly be the reason for some plans being the same price for provincial or Canada-wide.

 

 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province

@ShawnC13 No man, yes there was a written policy change but in the real world I've had numerous confirmations that long distance was not needed to make local calls in the new province or receive calls.  People just like to interpret what they read differently.

Oracle

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province


@computergeek541 wrote:

@Double_J wrote:

 

 

I tested this with having someone call me from BC, Alberta, Ontario and intertionally. All calls were received. 

.


That has always been the case for all carriers and all plans.  For the person receiving a call, it never matters where the call comes from.

 

 

Now, as for receiving calls while you and your phone are outside of the province that your phone number is from, technically, that is a national-wide long distance call to answer any call.  As for Public Mobile always allowing the call to be answer for those with only a provincial calling plan, that wasn't really supposed to happen.  The policy change in the online documentation is interesting though.


The policy may say that but I would argue the policy makes no sense.  As a visitor to another province, the policy allows outbound calls within the visited province as if it is the home province.  If making these provincial calls are allowed, then how does it make sense that receiving calls are not allowed?  It is the calling party that generally pays any charge for a call.  If outbound calls are included then so are inbound calls. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province

@stonechucker  I still have a few lines with PM.  By the way do you just stay at home all day and browse through these forums all day?  Is it really worth the $10 to $15 bucks you get each month? As for my hard on, at least I can get one man.

 

And yes, there is a tremendous amount of misinformation on this topic, but yet you refuse to admit the real world workings of the network.  Maybe get off the computer once I a while and get outside and smell the fresh air.  You will thank me for it.

Oracle

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province


@Double_J wrote:

@ShawnC13 No man, yes there was a written policy change but in the real world I've had numerous confirmations that long distance was not needed to make local calls in the new province or receive calls.  People just like to interpret what they read differently.


That is what I said there was a policy but what was actually happening in real world experience differed.  I had the same experiences but up until last week it was described as a glitch in the policy when it was how it always worked


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Mayor / Maire

Re: Incoming calls when traveling outside province


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Double_J wrote:

 

 

I tested this with having someone call me from BC, Alberta, Ontario and intertionally. All calls were received. 

.


That has always been the case for all carriers and all plans.  For the person receiving a call, it never matters where the call comes from.

 

 

Now, as for receiving calls while you and your phone are outside of the province that your phone number is from, technically, that is a national-wide long distance call to answer any call.  As for Public Mobile always allowing the call to be answer for those with only a provincial calling plan, that wasn't really supposed to happen.  The policy change in the online documentation is interesting though.


The policy may say that but I would argue the policy makes no sense.  As a visitor to another province, the policy allows outbound calls within the visited province as if it is the home province.  If making these provincial calls are allowed, then how does it make sense that receiving calls are not allowed?  It is the calling party that generally pays any charge for a call.  If outbound calls are included then so are inbound calls. 


Long distance has historically just been a reason for carriers to charge extra.  As for receiving a call outside of a lcoal calling area (or proinvce in the case of Public Mobile calling plans), that's just how long distance has always worked for an incoming call.  There are still some customers (at other carriers) who only have plans with local calling.  A customer with local calling and a Toronto phone number would have to pay long distance to answer any phone call when outside of that city's local calling area. 

 

But yeah, it's a way for the phone companies to charges both parties in call.  Someone calling from L.A. to Toronto (the outgoing caller pays LD) and if the receiving caller only has local calling , the receiver would also have to pay long dsitance - but only if outside of the Toronto area.    All this probably adds to the confusion and the mistaken belief that it somehow matters to the person answering a call where the call comes from.