cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls when traveling outside province

Ooops
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Mods:

I have searched this threads and most posts indicate that incoming will not work without add-on if you are traveling outside home Provine.

I have experienced otherwise.

I have PM province-wide plan and live in Ontario (Ontario number with 613 area code). I was traveling to Calgary, Alberta in April for three weeks and was able to receive incoming calls on my PM Ontario number - (No add-on for long distance); the incoming calls mostly were from my home - Ontario and also local calls. My outgoing worked for only within Alberta calls.

So can the members WHO HAVE USED province-wide plan WITHOUT add-on outside home province please share and shed some light if we do not need long-distance add-on for INCOMING calls when traveling outside home-province

Appreciate the community helping each other.

60 REPLIES 60

Double_J
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker Do you work for PM?

Me either lol been a little busy last little bit

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wow...  I haven’t looked at that Knowledge base since the update.  Good catch!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13@stonechucker, @Double_J

I believe they have addressed this in their latest KB article.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

specifically  this line:

When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On

@stonechucker wrote:

@Double_J, the problem is, the OFFICAL WORD in the related documentation says you will not receive incoming calls from anywhere, unless you are in your home province, on the province wide plan.

i can’t test it, as I was given 200 minutes of LD coverage when I had a calling problem to a new exchange in my city, and I was in my city.

Some people may have this situation, some may not.  But until the information is OFFICIALLY announced and documented as such, I as someone in this community offering assistance will suggest an LD addon while traveling outside their province, within Canada.

@stonechucker, that is the problem I wish they would fix.  If you can receive calls from anywhere in your "home" province (BC for me).  When I go to Alberta "new home" Province isn't it common sense I would still receive all calls.  They really need to re-word it but I think it is left like that to sell more LD addons because otherwise people would just say call me while away.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

And now, after posting, I realize that I’ve just responded to a thread that was one year old, with a single new reply today.

OH boy.. why do people do this!

@Double_J, the problem is, the OFFICAL WORD in the related documentation says you will not receive incoming calls from anywhere, unless you are in your home province, on the province wide plan.

i can’t test it, as I was given 200 minutes of LD coverage when I had a calling problem to a new exchange in my city, and I was in my city.

Some people may have this situation, some may not.  But until the information is OFFICIALLY announced and documented as such, I as someone in this community offering assistance will suggest an LD addon while traveling outside their province, within Canada.

Double_J

I don't understand why Public Mobile makes an official annoucement about this?  Why don't their employees respond to this question, rather than lettting everyone make their own comments about this?  Sometimes I wonder about this company.

So here is how the system works.  Your phone looks for the closest signal (tower) when activated.  I will use an example to explain:

Home Province: BC (with number registered as a Vancouver number)

Travelling to: Calgary, Alberta

If I were travel to Calgary from Vancouver, the Province of Alberta would now become my local calling area (since it picks up signals from towers in Calgary and my plan covers me for province wide calliing).  Here is a small chart to explain each item:

In Visiting Province (Alberta).

Making Calls: You will be able to make local calls (any number registered as an Alberta number).

Receiving Calls: You will be able to receive ALL calls (i.e. Alberta, BC, any other province or International).  

Downsides:

- If you need to call a BC number while in Calgary you will need a Canada Long Distance Plan added.  This plan will also allow you to call any other province in Canada.

To sum it up

You can receive calls from anywhere while in the visiting province but will only be able to make local Alberta calls while visiting there.  To call back home you will need a long distance package.

Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise.  If they do they are just trying to push for more sales.

@computergeek541 wrote:

If you're on a provincial voice calling plan, consider yourself lucky.  Those incoming calls should not even have rang and you should not have been able to answer them.  It's good to have a carrier billing error go in the customer's favor for a change.

Totally agree, while do not forget that we also get a slap in the face since Gatineau does not count as a local call, so sometimes I got connected to a tower on the other side (Quebec) and I cannot make normal local calls, so I call it a fair trade. XD

@zhadj030 wrote:

Well I can confirm as well that I was able to receive calls on my 613 number while I was in montreal . No problem with that.

If you're on a provincial voice calling plan, consider yourself lucky.  Those incoming calls should not even have rang and you should not have been able to answer them.  It's good to have a carrier billing error go in the customer's favor for a change.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Well I can confirm as well that I was able to receive calls on my 613 number while I was in montreal . No problem with that.

Ooops

PMC download.jpg

This seems to be mojo 🙂

Smiley Very Happy

"Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,

it was called witchcraft;

today it's called golf."

SD08

@ute1978 wrote:

I benefit from the "free incoming call glitch" which btw is similar to yours.

I have the long distance add on but all incoming calls no matter from where in the world are free. In my over 1 year of membership with PM no minutes have ever been nor will be deducted from my add on for incoming calls. Even if I travel to other provinces....

So your glitch might work only for you.

It's the Half-Canada-wide talk plan.  The incoming half.  Robot LOL

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ooops wrote:
Not complaining dear 🙂

So far no one has replied that thier incoming on PM did not work outside province,

So it might very well work for ALL,
Only attempting to validate it.

There are many positive glitches in the system that benefit the members. Mine for example.

I benefit from the "free incoming call glitch" which btw is similar to yours.

I have the long distance add on but all incoming calls no matter from where in the world are free. In my over 1 year of membership with PM no minutes have ever been nor will be deducted from my add on for incoming calls. Even if I travel to other provinces....

So your glitch might work only for you.

It will be something to test.

Ooops
Not complaining dear 🙂

So far no one has replied that thier incoming on PM did not work outside province,

So it might very well work for ALL,
Only attempting to validate it.

@mech9t5 wrote:
Theoretically, you shouldn't receive calls because it is prepaid. Receiving a call while out of province is considered long distance for you regardless of who is calling.

On a post paid system you would recieve the call and simply be billed for the long distance. On prepaid, the call shouldn't complete if you have no LD add-on

If it does complete, you got away with a free long distance call and is not how the system should be working.

If it works, then use it, and don't complain. XD

Robot wink

Ooops

I agree,

All the discussions and interpretation of province-wide indicate that it should not work, that was the reason of this thread (I took along another Canada-wide sim - which I never used bcos PM worked.)

I and many othes would be glad if, in practice the incoming is working without add-on for those who have traveled/tried it outside home provine.

Hence,

Inviting experiences of member who have traveled outside province.

Let's think of it as well intentioned bug. Enjoy while it exits. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mech9t5
Theoretically, you shouldn't receive calls because it is prepaid. Receiving a call while out of province is considered long distance for you regardless of who is calling.

On a post paid system you would recieve the call and simply be billed for the long distance. On prepaid, the call shouldn't complete if you have no LD add-on

If it does complete, you got away with a free long distance call and is not how the system should be working.

Ooops
So I am not the only one who enjoys conversation with myself the most 🙂

@ShawnC13 wrote:
, i talk to myself enough it is nice to hear other voices once in a while lol 😁

Smiley LOL

, i talk to myself enough it is nice to hear other voices once in a while lol 😁

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Next time I am out of province I will have to have my wife call me and not me call her to see if it deducts from my long distance minutes.

@ShawnC13

or just call yourself using Fongo when out of province for extra fun XD

SD08

I'm interested in the answer to this too.  (Subscribed for replies.)

My thought on it is your phone is just receiving the call while receiving a call it won't differentiate between area codes if it has service it will ring. Now calling out it will know what area codes are now"local"calls so you would need a ld plan to call out of province

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It would be great news if this is how province wide talk works.  I suppose we do need a few data points to prove that it is not an account glitch. 

skifan

On a similar note..........I was recently in the US and had purchased the roaming data package but did not opt for the voice or text option.  During this time, I noticed that I was able to receive texts although I could not respond of course.  I did not receive any voice calls so that question remains to be answered

@skifan, that is a good thread but this member says he is still able to  receive calls from his home province even while out of province yet the chart says you can't receive any calls.  Receiving calls from your home province without the addon makes total sense to me as way back when I first had a cell phone and  I travelled I was able to recieve calls from my home province as they weren't considered calling long distance to me but I did require long distance to call them.

So receiving calls from your home province while out of it without a long distance addon makes perfect sense.  Next time I am out of province I will have to have my wife call me and not me call her to see if it deducts from my long distance minutes.

skifan

Please check this link out, it explains the calling situation between provinces very well.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

I was recently travelling outside of my home province and did not receive any calls.  I was, however, able to forward my number to a Fongo line I use, and was able to receive calls via my data plan, that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.