cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Texts Without Texting Included In Plan...

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

I'm wondering whether you can still receive incoming texts even if you don't pay for texting in a plan?

15 REPLIES 15

Barryere

I'm not opposed to trying things.

The idea of sticking to one thing is preposterous - how would we ever evolve and mature?

I use FaceTime for one person (only person I know that has an iPhone haha), Google Hangouts and Skype on and off (it's not a great service).

As for the phone comparison, I'm aware that it isn't fair but putting fair evaluations aside these are the devices I have in my possession and so therefore they are what I have to compare. Honestly if I had TouchWiz on my Note 3 it would be unusable... it's relatively fast with the custom software but again my SE is smoother.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Barryere wrote:

Why do I like iOS? Well, I like the smoothness of the operating system. I have a 5s and just today got a SE (ironically I paid less for the SE than the 5s). My SE feels way more responsive than my current Android phone (Note 3 running LineageOS 16 (Android Pie)),

@Barryere yes, Apple has the advantage that they control both the hardware and the software, and they do an excellent job integrating the two and getting the most out of them for sure.  I will say however that your comparision is a bit unfair.  The Note 3 came out in the fall of 2013 and runs on an ancient chipset (Snapdragon 800), while the iPhone SE came out about 2.5 years later in the spring of 2016 and runs on a far more modern processor.  If you'll pardon the pun, this is a bit of an Apples to oranges comparrison.  

But yes your other comments (I didn't quote the entire post for brevity) do indicate you have some investment in the ecosystem.  Sorry I assumed since you didn't iMessage and you said you turned off some Apple-y things that you probably also didn't use Facetime.  As I usually mention in vain to my own iFriends: there are other IM and video calling services out there, you don't have to use iMessage and Facetime.  Yeah, I know, it doesn't work on them, either.  Oh well.

Happy Friday!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Barryere

@srlawren wrote:

@Barryere sounds like you might benefit from checking out Android.  iMessage & Facetime are two of the big sticking points for most people not wanting to leave the ecosystem; but if you don't use them.... well.... what's keeping you paying the Apple Tax?

I have actually been a long-standing and still standing Android fan and I guess you could say enthusiast.

Why do I like iOS? Well, I like the smoothness of the operating system. I have a 5s and just today got a SE (ironically I paid less for the SE than the 5s). My SE feels way more responsive than my current Android phone (Note 3 running LineageOS 16 (Android Pie)), and I have an Apple TV with a lot of money invested in iTunes movies - and by proxy, I can use my SE as a keyboard for my Apple TV, something unachievable using an Android for obvious reasons.

I am by no means an Apple fanboy or Apple "fan" in general, I respect the software Apple makes but disagree entirely with the prices Apple makes you pay for the hardware and I absolutely despise Apple's business practices.

So far I've had a pretty good experience with my iPhone 5s and SE, so that's why I'm using the SE (and previously the 5s).

My worst Apple experience has been using iTunes on Windows, it is incredibly buggy and glitchy (likely because Apple doesn't care about Windows since Microsoft is a competitor and Apple is very anti competitive).

And to note it briefly, I have been using FaceTime lately to FaceTime someone close to me.

srlawren

@Barryere sounds like you might benefit from checking out Android.  iMessage & Facetime are two of the big sticking points for most people not wanting to leave the ecosystem; but if you don't use them.... well.... what's keeping you paying the Apple Tax?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Barryere

Smiley LOL I have iMessage disabled, when I first got my iPhone I felt that iMessage was too finicky to use -- there are actually a few Apple-specific features/services I have disabled because the convenience just doesn't feel like a convenience... feels more like a pain to work with.

@srlawren wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

If you're connected to Wi-Fi, you can send iMessages without using your cellular data or text messaging plan.

@hairbag1 yes, but without texting you can't fall back to SMS, meaning you can only message other iOS iMessage users.  Chances are no matter how iFocused your iFrends and iFamily are, there's gotta be someone you wanna message that's on Android.

iThink iUnderstand what you mean. Thanks

@Barryere wrote:

I was wondering about texting because I was thinking of using PM as a second line/service and if I could get away with just paying for calls then I wouldn't bother with texting - as long as I could receive them I'd be fine, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

- - - Some less important stuff / banter - - -

Yeah... I've used free apps for a long time, even while paying for a service and free is just that... free, always buggy or laggy, riddled with ads and overall just a lousy experience because it's free.

Having said that, TextNow is ok-ish for texting, call quality is horrid, and I've used Fongo for the longest time for calls because it's great at calling but then you gotta pay for texting. At the end of the day I'd rather one service that can do both and it works as intended - no troubleshooting, lag, bugs, etc... (I think it's worth noting that Fongo doesn't work well with all equipment, I've had issues even with it, esp. when I had Cogeco).

Really depends on your usage pattern on this secondary line.

If it's minimal minutes, $8 gives you 50 Canada wide minutes (in and out) and 50 outgoing messages, incoming texts free.

$13 gives you 100minutes, unimiunli text (in and out) and 250MB of data 

$23 is just $5 more than unlimited province wide talk only that you are looking at, the talk is Canada wide, and you'd have unlimited texts plus 1GB of data.

(All of the above is when signing up for auto pay. The limited talk plans can be supplemented with non expiring LD minutes and data, but there is no text add-on).

Of the four plans, the provincial talk only plan is the least bang for the buck, IMO.

srlawren

@hairbag1 wrote:

If you're connected to Wi-Fi, you can send iMessages without using your cellular data or text messaging plan.

@hairbag1 yes, but without texting you can't fall back to SMS, meaning you can only message other iOS iMessage users.  Chances are no matter how iFocused your iFrends and iFamily are, there's gotta be someone you wanna message that's on Android.

Barryere

I was wondering about texting because I was thinking of using PM as a second line/service and if I could get away with just paying for calls then I wouldn't bother with texting - as long as I could receive them I'd be fine, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

- - - Some less important stuff / banter - - -

Yeah... I've used free apps for a long time, even while paying for a service and free is just that... free, always buggy or laggy, riddled with ads and overall just a lousy experience because it's free.

Having said that, TextNow is ok-ish for texting, call quality is horrid, and I've used Fongo for the longest time for calls because it's great at calling but then you gotta pay for texting. At the end of the day I'd rather one service that can do both and it works as intended - no troubleshooting, lag, bugs, etc... (I think it's worth noting that Fongo doesn't work well with all equipment, I've had issues even with it, esp. when I had Cogeco).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

I'm wondering whether you can still receive incoming texts even if you don't pay for texting in a plan?

I'm probably wrong but I think you can get the internal texts from Public Mobile about your account and other notifications from here even without a texting component in your plan.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

@Barryere No. You can download a free app to send text or call for Free as long as you have wifi or data. I am using TextNow and Fongo. They are quite good. 

mimmo

if not texting is included when someone send you a text you will receive a message saying that you received a sms.  but it will not give you any other details.  

in all honesty with the 15$ (100 min talk and unlimited sms +250mb data)  and $25 plan (canada calling + sms + 1gb data) the 20$ provincial talk only plan does not really make much sence.

that being said my dad has the 20$ plan becasue he neither knows how to text and does not use data. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Texting is disabled if it isn't in your plan.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@BarryereNo, texting will not work at all if it's not included in the plan.

If you are looking at a build-your-own plan adding texting often actually makes it cheaper.

Need Help? Let's chat.