cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing from Bell Home Phone to Public Mobile Cellphone

Ifra888
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has imported their home phone to public mobile before? How does it work and also, can I change the account holder to another person right away?

Here's my situation: My GrandFather has a home phone with Bell and he doesn't want it anymore, but my Father still wants the number and would like to bring it to Public Mobile. Can I just import the number under my father's name or I would need to import with my Grand Father's name (since he currently is the account holder at Bell) and then change to my father's name afterwards? (FYI, we have already ordered a SIM card and it is on its way!)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

6 REPLIES 6

@paulie When you port-in a landline there will be several days when the cell phone can call out BUT incoming calls will ring on the Bell phone. Do not close the Bell account; that happens automatically once the port-in completes. Here is some additional reading: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/The-Guide-to-Headache-Free-PM-Signup/m...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@SD08 wrote:

@NDesai

Looks like we were writing at the same time.  Robot tongue

You beat me to it for a few seconds Robot wink

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai

Looks like we were writing at the same time.  Robot tongue

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

May I suggest setting up everything with PublicMobile first ?   Make sure everthing works with temporary number.   Check sim card, insert in unlocked cell phone, etc.   If all good, then port the number over from Bell.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, it is possible to port in landline number to Public Mobile. Some users have done it before without any problems but it takes little more time to complete compare to cell number. I believe you can just activate account under your father's name but during port in request, you will need to enter your grandfather's name and account number. Make sure to check the Authorized box. You can also activate under your grandfather's name and port in your number. Then you can change the name from self-serve account. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You can try to change the name it's under with Bell first, then port it over to PM, that would be best, but if not, then you'll have to port it under your Grandfather's name first, then change it to your father's name afterward.  Either way, the name you indicate on the PM porting form at the time of porting must match what it says in the Bell account.

Porting a home phone line is possible, but it will usually take longer because you're going from wireline, to wireless.

Need Help? Let's chat.