cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im moving from edmonton to Bc, how do i keep my usage...

willowmeadows
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hey community, when my friend who has public mobile visited the place i am moving to they couldnt use there service there, we have the same plan. i am moving there in 4 weeks. Edmonton to boston barr, BC. Do i need a different plan to roam? 

thank you ❤️

12 REPLIES 12

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious Telus has gotten a bit better on coverage along the coquihalla highway.  I traveled on it a few years back but it’s no longer completely no coverage, you will get partial coverage… sometimes it picks up a signal, sometimes it doesn’t.  

They have towers on top of the mountain now, although because it is the highway that runs on a mountain, coverage is obviously not great, but it’s already impressive there is some coverage!

@willowmeadows wrote:

thank you, so your saying i should be able to use my phone there if theres coverage?  

yes

Going from one province to another isn't actually roaming. Roaming happens when you connect to a different carrier's network. It isn't related to where you are if you're using the same network (which you will be).

Please remember that anything caling you will be making a call to the city of your phone number, and not be considered to be making a calll to where you actually are.  It's your decision whether to keep your old number to take a new one.

@shawnnyboy2 wrote:

just contact public mobile when you get here and tell them what is going on

While it's partially customer service's job to answer question, there isn't anything happening here that requirees them to be contacted. 

@softech 

Your tax rate is based on your phone number not your address.

@willowmeadows 

Welcome to beautiful BC!

Edit: Looking at the cell tower map the only service provider for Boston Bar appears to be telus. There is a rogers tower much farther away but the topography could interfere with its signal range.

shawnnyboy2

just contact public mobile when you get here and tell them what is going on

....and keep your information on the acct, they charge tax based on the address on the system.  You will save a little bit with your AB address instead of your new BC address

willowmeadows

thank you this is very helpful! 🙂

willowmeadows

thank you, so your saying i should be able to use my phone there if theres coverage?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

No need a different plan,
No need roaming,

your service with public mobile Canada-wide so is will working 100%.

Good Luck

@willowmeadows 

You will have good coverage in town and along the highway corridors but if you live up the mountain  or in a more secluded valley a little way from town then you may have issues getting good reception. There's a good hour between Hope and Merritt that has no service at all along the coquihalla highway but otherwise telus has very good coverage along all the mountain highways.

Screenshot_20210618-140127~2.pngScreenshot_20210618-140142~2.pngScreenshot_20210618-140207~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@willowmeadows : Wow. Who knew someone would move _to_ Boston Bar. 🙂 Boston Bar is in a valley. BC is almost all valleys. There's a large plateau in the centre. That's it. Unlike Edmonton. Or the not particularly real mountains out east. So BC is a challenge for the providers to provide good reception. But if click on the Coverage Maps link at the bottom of this page you'll see their coverage. Always remember that coverage maps are rather optimistic.

And this place is nation-wide...no roaming other than in the states with add-ons.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@willowmeadows 

Telus is the only bar in town....I don't see why you can't use pm.

Screenshot_20210618-132603~2.png

Need Help? Let's chat.