cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will be in the USA for 6 month in winter. Would like to keep my phone number and plan.

Evaflorida
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be in the USA for 6 month in winter. I would like to keep my phone number and plan.

I need at least texting to work in the USA. Any suggestions?

20 REPLIES 20

@kselmak wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@RossN@geopublic, if the subscriber is on a grandfathered plan (ie Fall Promo 2016), changing plans will not let them go back to the same plan.

If someone wants to continue on the same plan and keep their number, they can only disable AutoPay prior to renewal, and let it sit in suspend for up to 90-days (I recommend 85 in case of problems), and then renew the same plan for another cycle.

This subscriber hasn't clearly stated what they have or are looking to do.  Offering all these suggestions is only confusing matters more, and the subscriber may come out with the wrong solution.  They created their community account very recently but could have been subscribed now for years.

Once again...another disappearing customer.

Yes and it's getting very complicated here with all the possibilities and paths to take. It would help if we got some feedback or answers to follow-ups.

But the fact is that they will have to make this decision in 4 months or even later, so i believe they will probably come back to this question much later. Things may change quieta bit by then

How is this any different than any other carrier?  I've been here for 3 years, and if I previously had a plan, made a change to something I needed, then decided later to go back, that option wasn't there for me.  Sure I had access to retention offers, or a win-back promo if I actually left, but the same rules applied.  Once the plan is vacated, it's no longer available.

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@RossN@geopublic, if the subscriber is on a grandfathered plan (ie Fall Promo 2016), changing plans will not let them go back to the same plan.

If someone wants to continue on the same plan and keep their number, they can only disable AutoPay prior to renewal, and let it sit in suspend for up to 90-days (I recommend 85 in case of problems), and then renew the same plan for another cycle.

This subscriber hasn't clearly stated what they have or are looking to do.  Offering all these suggestions is only confusing matters more, and the subscriber may come out with the wrong solution.  They created their community account very recently but could have been subscribed now for years.

Yes and it's getting very complicated here with all the possibilities and paths to take. It would help if we got some feedback or answers to follow-ups.

But the fact is that they will have to make this decision in 4 months or even later, so i believe they will probably come back to this question much later. Things may change quieta bit by then

@srlawren wrote:

@torontokris wrote:

Or get a cheap us plan and forward your calls 

@torontokris If you are suggesting forwarding calls from PM plan to a US-based plan, FYI that is not possible; you can only forward calls to Canadian numbers, no matter your plan or add-on(s).

I thought that 50 plan would include forward to usa. I'm not sure though as i don't have that plan to test it.

But if they already had that plan and wanted to keepbit, it would make sense to just add 10 more

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@torontokris wrote:

@torontokris If you are suggesting forwarding calls from PM plan to a US-based plan, FYI that is not possible; you can only forward calls to Canadian numbers, no matter your plan or add-on(s).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@geopublic  is that right?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Evaflorida, which plan are you on, and wish to keep?  This information will allow us to give you the best response.  You're new to the community, but have you been here for years?

@geopublic wrote:

@RossN wrote:

If you want to keep your number get the 10 dollar plan let it expire for 89 days get the 10 dollar plan again for 30 days or cheapest available then let it expire again then you should be home before another 89 days time have a great trip!!

@RossN  OP would also like to be able to send and receive texts using that number when she is in the US. How is that going to work?

I guess it's not clear if they want to use that number in us. They want to keep it. But maybe they could use different one in us and if it's Canadian number forwarding would make sure they don't miss a call.

Now they say that they would like to keep their plan too. If they have 10 plan they can be buying 500 min add-on add needed. All the other plans have unlimited incoming if talk is included.

Now 60 is a good deal compared to roaming add-ons.

But you are paying for over 8g of data you won't be able to use.

Why not just get textNow or something similar for 20usd? You'll save over 30/month. 

Of course if it the texts must be from their existing number then all this discussion is pointless and hands down 60 is great 

Edit: I forgot one more thing, if they don't need the number to be used there and if all the important contacts can have the other alternative number, then they can even suspend their account for 85 days and set a reminder to reactivate it, then do it again. This way they would keep the plan but would dodge paying about 4 cycles or more

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@EvafloridaIf you are going to be a snowbird for 6 months ( - 1 day legally) year after year for 2 years.. it is cheaper to have US service by getting a US phone. They are practically giving away phones with plans as long as you have a credit card (even Canadian ones). WhistleOut.com is a great resource for general plan details but places like Target etc often have localised deals especially it is back to school season in a few days.

Because Public Mobile is month to month, you have to pay month to month (or fanagle with suspension) to keep your number active..  vs traditional Pay as you go like Rogers or Speakout where you put in a balance they can be good for 365 days (provided you don't burn through the credit in your account). Parking your phone number with a voip provider is a possibility but moving the number in and out of voip (eg if you want it back on a cellphone when you are back) can take a few days, closer to a week.

You would have to balance your budget with convenience.

@RossN wrote:

If you want to keep your number get the 10 dollar plan let it expire for 89 days get the 10 dollar plan again for 30 days or cheapest available then let it expire again then you should be home before another 89 days time have a great trip!!

@RossN  OP would also like to be able to send and receive texts using that number when she is in the US. How is that going to work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evaflorida wrote:

I will be in the USA for 6 month in winter. I would like to keep my phone number and plan.

Is your plan a promo plan no longer offered?

Do you just wish to keep your number but not use it in states?

If you want to keep your plan and use your number in the states for those 6 months then that will cost a fortune. Maybe you're rich.

There are options depending on answers. Please do come on back and answer some questions.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Evaflorida  if you want to keep your number and stay with public mobile get the $60 plan while it lasts. It's the best option with PM.

@missorange wrote:

you can switch to 10 or 15 plan, then purchase the US roming add on. 

Six months of US roaming addons that must be renewed every 10 days is not feasible. Much cheaper to go with the $60 plan.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you can switch to 10 or 15 plan, then purchase the US roming add on. 

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As others said, $60 plan is the best for you provided it is within your budget. With the current exchange rate our $60 plan will be cheaper when you convert to USD.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Duo you need your number to text from and to?

If not i would suggest getting 15 plan and forward to textnow Canadian number

I just recommended it to somebody 30 mins ago:

Another option is getting textnow sim, they charge 10 for unlimited calls and texts, 20  for call text and 2g of data, 30 for 5 gigs instead 2, and 40 for unlimited ( that's in usd) and you can pick Canadian number so you can forward all your calls to It. Unfortunately they won't let you get it here in Canada, you will have to order it there you will need access to a credit card with usa address.

If it must be your number than above recommended by @geopublic and @ShawnC13 is your best bet, and who knows by then there might be more where that came from, pm always comes up with good and better deals

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Evaflorida wrote:

@Evaflorida  If that's the case, not sure what your budget is but you can take advnatage of the current $60.00 per 30 days plan:

• 8 GB Data⁴ at 3G speed
  • Plus, bonus 2GB US data roaming
  • + BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
  • UNLIMITED Talk & Text in Canada & US
  • VOICEMAIL & Call Display

More info here.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Evaflorida wrote:

The only way you are going to be able to keep your number active so that you can text for the entire 6 months is to get the $60 Canada US plan.

Have you thought about using Fongo or Whatsapp?  For that length of stay, I would get a local sim and give that number to the people back home that need it to contact you

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.