cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I travel to/call/text the US a lot, not sure if Public will work for me...

aambivalence
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in Canada but travel to the USA 0-20 days a month. I also have US based clients I need to call and text daily. So I need a plan where I can freely call/text north america wide. I need at least 4.5g data. I would estimate I need at least 100 mins and 200 texts to US allowance. I also travel outside of the Canada and US for vacation 1-2 times a year. What plan or add-ons should I opt-for? Also...

1. If I'm not travelling for a couple months, is it easy to reduce my plan to save money? 

2. How is the reception/coverage in the USA? When I switched from Rogers to Bell I noticed I had lower bars many areas in the USA. 

13 REPLIES 13

@aambivalence wrote:

Not interested in a US-based plan, want to keep my number! 

@aambivalence  Keep in mind that if you decide to go with PM's US roaming addons while traveling to the US there is a good chance that you will not be able to receive texts for up to 48 hours when you get back.  This is a well known bug  that PM refuses to fix.

@aambivalence wrote:

The International Calling add-on will work to call US as long as you're in Canada. If you want cell service while in US, the only add-on option currently is the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data options.

Perhaps in the future there may be other options so keep watching.

aambivalence

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you thought about getting a US plan that roams here in Cda? You would have to change you number to a US number but it would be cheap and it would work. 

Currently AT&T offers $50USD ($40 after auto-pay) that has unlimited calling to/from Cda/US/Mex while in Cda/US/Mex and you get up to 25GB that can be used in Cda/US/Mex

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @aambivalence 

If I was in your situation I would probably go for a plan that suits your data needs here in Canada.

Since you are planning to be so much in USA I would figure out the way to get textNow sim, they are Canadian company will give you either Canadian or USA number, you can install their app and use it for free, unlimited USA and Canada calling and texting. If you also get their sim while you are in USA, you will have unlimited calling and texting with no roaming charges anywhere for $10, if you need data you can upgrade to a plan with data, the most expensive one is unlimited data for $40. This way you would have two numbers, you can keep public one as your private number and the textNow for clients. When you travel to USA just forwarded all your calls to your textNow number.

Switching plans with public mobile is fast and easy

Two things you should keep on mind

1.Unless you need to switch right now, always schedule the switch for the renewal date as you don't get back any money from your current plan once you get rid of it.

2. Your plan may not be available when you want to switch back, you may have to settle for another plan. Not a big deal cause usually they get better plans, but some awesome ones are long gone we don't know if we'll see them again.

Public had a great traveler plan that I totally expect to see back, it included unlimited USA roaming & calling and 2gigs of USA data and 8.5 gig of Canada s data. Would totally suit your needs It was $60 though

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@aambivalence wrote:

I live in Canada but travel to the USA 0-20 days a month. I also have US based clients I need to call and text daily. So I need a plan where I can freely call/text north america wide. I need at least 4.5g data. I would estimate I need at least 100 mins and 200 texts to US allowance. I also travel outside of the Canada and US for vacation 1-2 times a year. What plan or add-ons should I opt-for? Also...

@aambivalence  You should take a look at some of the US prepaid plans because it sounds like they might be a better fit. ATT has a prepaid plan ~$45 with AutoPay you get unlimited data, calling anf text including free roaming to Canada & Mexico for data, calling and texting.

1. If I'm not travelling for a couple months, is it easy to reduce my plan to save money?  Yes.

2. How is the reception/coverage in the USA? When I switched from Rogers to Bell I noticed I had lower bars many areas in the USA. 

Public uses ATT and T-Mobile for roaming in the US.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

PM used to offer a $60, two country plan.  I have a few friends who are frequent US travelers that really love the plan.  They might offer it again.  Otherwise, those who travel to the US a lot should look at something like this which not readily offered by any carrier brand or shop local.  Those roam like home options are terrible.  With taxes you are looking at almost $10 per day.

aosullivan97

Public Mobile has a variety of options you can look into... If you just want a plan that will work for Canada and the US without having to worry about the ad ons they have a 50$/month plan that offers 8GB data, unlimited Canada/US talk, and unlimited Canada/international text. However if you think this is too much all of their talk/text plans come with unlimited international texting so you could chose the one with the most appropriate minutes and data. Then, as mentioned in one of the comments above, there are plenty of ad ons available for purchase, but they do expire 10days after purchase. 

As far as the other 2 questions, it is very easy to change your plan (you can online from your account) and Public Mobile runs on the Telus network so you would get the same covereage in the US as you would if you were a Telus customer.

If you are travelling outside of Canada/US you may want to look into getting a SIM card in the country you are travelling to. But that would depend on where you are going and for how long.

Another client who the $60 Canada/US plan would be PERECT for if it hadn't been discontinued.....

AE_Collector

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@aambivalence wrote:

1. If I'm not travelling for a couple months, is it easy to reduce my plan to save money? ...EZ to lower your plan..if you really want to. No additional charges for that.

2. How is the reception/coverage in the USA? When I switched from Rogers to Bell I noticed I had lower bars many areas in the USA. ..the PM 10 Day US Roaming Talk/text/data Add-on, uses T-mobile and AT&T networks...you can manually select whichever is working best in your area of US.

Unlimited International texting is included in all PM plans of $25 or higher...but only work  while in Canada unless you have the Roaming add-on.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@aambivalence wrote:

1. If I'm not travelling for a couple months, is it easy to reduce my plan to save money? 

Check out the $50 plan for your needs in Canada to call US.

PM has a 10 Day US Roaming add-on for talk/text/data while in US.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only has US roaming add-ons but they are valid for ten days from purchase.  You maybe better to purchase a local sim or buy a sim like Zipsim.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

In all honesty  since this a buiness line I would go with Koodo or Telus or one of the other Canadian providers.

Pm offers us roaming in 10 packages with various options, but I don't thing they are ideal for your needs.

Need Help? Let's chat.