cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really hope PM will eventually have NFC Sim Cards

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Wouldn't this be something that could give PM more value eventually as well?

Just concerned PM might not be as forward thinking and that this should be part of a way to make PM more appealing as well

9 REPLIES 9

Oblivious
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree with the others. I've never heard of a NFC SIM card before. I've heard do eSIM cards like how Google Fi is doing, but I don't think Public Mobile will be doing those any time soon. Not until Telus and Koodo do it.

NFC technology and features are generally seperate from SIM. It uses different antennae on the phones from what I understand. Like how wireless charging uses a different coil than your cell signal. NFC has its own antenna. So you don't need a SIM card to use NFC features like Google Pay.

SIM cards did go through some sort of evolution quite a few years ago now I believe. Have never heard the term “NFC SIM card” so I am going to guess that the current generation of SIM card supports it while back in 2013 maybe you needed to get your SIM upgraded to the “then” newer generation of SIM.

AE_Collector

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Been using Google pay through the CIBC for years. Doesn't need a special SIM. Doesn't even need a cellular connection. Heck, you don't even have to be on line, although you will need a connection a some point to refresh the tokens. 

curious.. what do we missed without a NFC SIM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember with my old Z10 that also had NFC that I had to get a SIM that somehow enabled it. Telus. 2013.

I'm with PM now and have been able to do NFC payments without thinking of a SIM.

Doesn't that require a NFC Sim?

I thought that without NFC Sim, you can't use NFC pay like options

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused. What am I missing? My phone has NFC. I use Google Pay all the time. I don't know that it even needs cell service.

I just hope that PM can do so. Just because it's 3rd tier doesn't mean that it has to be cheap

IF costs were within reason, Why not?

If PM can have Online refurbished Phone store, then surely this is not impossible.

Just saying, PM can surely benefit with more options over time

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Likely not since Public Mobile is a cheap 3rd tier provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.