cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to call Ireland, this is ridiculous!!

Shuriken
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been a PM member since July and not soon after signing up I discovered Ireland is not in your list of approved countries that we can long distance call.

You really want to get it added to your list the amount of Irish in Canada using Public Mobile!! Seriously guys!! I've had so many instances over the past few months that I've needed to call family, my bank, various companies I have an account with back home, and there is absolutely no way of calling them!! I'm thinking of leaving Public Mobile because I need to call Ireland?? So on behalf of all the Irish out there that cant call anyone in Ireland, sort your selves out Public Mobile!!

49 REPLIES 49

@DebS43 

Wow that is good deal especially since they waved the single supplement. Accommodation can be expensive in Ireland so that makes for quite an affordable trip. The jet lag though can be tough the first few days though so I tend to not make any definitive plans for the first few days after arrival. 

Yes I do live in Vancouver. Flights to Europe tend to be very reasonably priced from here....I was tempted to book a couple of months ago when KLM and Air France had return flights to Dublin priced at $545. I keep apprised of Ryanair seat sales as well with flights across europe averaging between €9.99 and €14.99.

DebS43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a smoking good deal on this trip through an email service I subscribe to called TravelZoo. Maybe you have heard of it. My entire trip (flight from YVR, 6 nights hotels, breakfast every day and two dinners) was originally $1099 but when it got cancelled last year (I was supposed to go in early November) due to COVID, I was allowed to rebook and they gave us a $50 discount as a good will gesture. I am doing a bus tour and was fortunate to be one of the first 5 singles to book that trip so they waived the single supplement. Check them out. You can get some pretty good deals on hotels and trips. By the way, I had my first Guinness on my last night in Ireland on my last trip which was 4 years ago. You mentioned going to Portugal from YVR, Do you live in Van?

@DebS43 

It's too bad that fongo just is working for you. Perhaps try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. Just to see if that is the issue but by all means go with text now if that is reliably working for you.

I can't say for sure as my experience with text now is limited so someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the same number on both phones with text now. They would just both ring at the same time similar to messenger notification pings that go off on all of your devices with that app installed.

I'm excited for you! I recently have been following air fare prices to Dublin (with the intent to visit my sister in Portugal) and have seen return prices on KLM and Air France for about $450 from Vancouver! You will have to join us in the lounge when you have your first real pint of Guinness. As they say....Guiness doesn't travel well. There is nothing like the first one you have in the Emerald Isle. Erin go bragh! 

DebS43

Hey, I followed your suggestion and put TextNow on my iPhone and put Fongo on my spare phone which is a Samsung. TextNow is working great and I even called Ireland which didn't cost me a cent. Now, Fongo is  whole other story. I can't make a call using Fongo and I haven't been able to receive one either. I have tried calling my Fongo number several times and it won't even ring on the phone. There is nothing that even pops up for me to answer if it was to ring. The calls just went directly to voicemail and when I try to listen to the message I left I can hardly hear it. I am not impressed with Fongo at all. I think I'm just going to uninstall it and go with TextNow which seems to be much more reliable. Do you know if I can have TextNow on both my main phone and the spare and use the same number on each or would I have to get another number on the second phone? Thanks. Less than 3 weeks until I'm there. Can't wait.

@DebS43 

There is nothing stopping you from downloading both fongo and textnow. They both have there advantages. Fongo allows for it to work on both WiFi and mobile data. So a phone call can go uninterrupted when moving out of a WiFi zone. It also has much less advertising (the free version) compared to textnow but only has free incoming texts where as textnow has free incoming and outgoing texts but a lot of advertising. I have both but mostly use fongo and constantly have to be reminded to text myself with textnow in order to not lose the phone number.

I found I used messenger more than anything to stay in touch with friends and family with the ability to chat, call, video call and send pics was easily the most versatile app to use. With it and forwarding your pm number to fongo you should be well covered with virtually free WiFi everywhere except when you're hanging upside down kissing the Blarney stone!

If you have a chance go for a pint of Guinness at the Foggy Dew in the Temple Bar. We lucked out and saw the lead singer of tne Specials and his new band play a couple of sets.

20180401_184215.jpg20180401_201315.jpg

Or Slattery's is good for the craic and an old fashioned ceilidh and is up a little closer to Dublin Castle.

20180403_154151.jpg

Have a lovely trip and be prepared for the rain and celebrate the sunny days! Sláinte!

20180403_170957.jpg20180403_162844.jpgDSCF0603.JPGDSCF0530.JPG

DebS43

Thanks. I'll need to look more into it then. All I saw was US numbers so need to dig deeper. I won't need to call NI as I will only be in the Republic so that should be okay. I doubt I will really need to make any calls or even check voice messages or texts. I'm going on a tour and will have Wifi all the way. I will be there in 6 weeks. So excited.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebS43 : I have a Canadian TextNow number. It says it's free to call the Republic but nothing's answering. No voicemails or front desks.

It says it's $0.35 to call the UK (Northern).

I'm using the free version so maybe that's why. Not sure. Texting and calling locally works.

@DebS43 wrote:

I think TextNow gives me a US number so I may not be able to forward my PM calls to it without charge as my PM plan does not give me free US calling. Fongo gives me a Canadian number. I don't do a lot of texting. I prefer calling. From what I can tell with both TextNow and Fongo, both have calling, unless I am mistaken. TextNow allows me to call both US and Canada numbers and I believe Ireland numbers were free as well. Fongo does't mention calling US numbers. So many variables to consider but I need to choose one soon. I may not even need to get an Ireland local SIM card for my phone if I choose the right app.

What's the area code of the Textnow phone number?   Whether's it's a number from the U.S. or Canada is easy to checked based on that.  Also, it wouldn't matter if your Public Mobile plan did include calls to the U.S. because calls still couldn't be forwarded to a U.S. number.

DebS43

I think TextNow gives me a US number so I may not be able to forward my PM calls to it without charge as my PM plan does not give me free US calling. Fongo gives me a Canadian number. I don't do a lot of texting. I prefer calling. From what I can tell with both TextNow and Fongo, both have calling, unless I am mistaken. TextNow allows me to call both US and Canada numbers and I believe Ireland numbers were free as well. Fongo does't mention calling US numbers. So many variables to consider but I need to choose one soon. I may not even need to get an Ireland local SIM card for my phone if I choose the right app.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Yummy wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

@DebS43   I would go with TextNow. 

Definitely TextNow. Calls/SMS in/out are free. Call quality is excellent comparing to Fongo. Get both app and keep number alive calling/SMS at least once per week. The only thing not working for both apps is receiving authentication codes sent by some companies/government. For those you would need real mobile number (and not ported land line).

Alternative is Viber...

I have Fongo and I use call forward but Fongo does not have free texting. 

I just downloaded Text Now...but cannot set up call forward. It will not allow me to turn the switch on to set up. 

@hTideGnow wrote:

Definitely TextNow. Calls/SMS in/out are free. Call quality is excellent comparing to Fongo. Get both app and keep number alive calling/SMS at least once per week. The only thing not working for both apps is receiving authentication codes sent by some companies/government. For those you would need real mobile number (and not ported land line).

Alternative is Viber...

TextNow allows you to call and text any number in Canada and US.   Voice quality is much better than Fongo.   But the catch is , I think it is quicker to loss the number for inactivity.  Try to keep TextNow login and make a call every week

For Fongo, the only advantage is you can keep the number longer even you don't use it (not sure how long).  But Fongo, you cannot text out without paying.  (receiving text is free, just not sending)

DebS43

Thanks for the clarification and the alternate app suggestion. In your opinion, which app would be my best bet? Fongo or TextNow? It almost sounds like TextNow might offer a bit more value as far as features go.

barrascuk

What??? Only a west coaster would get that 😕

Good afternoon sir, may I know if you are  calling for C Lyon Jr or  C Lyon Sr?

hTideGnow_0-1631634695993.png

barrascuk

I successfully called the SEA LIFE Bray Aquarium with no issues. I asked for Mr. C. Lyon😁

@darlicious wrote:

@DebS43 

If you call forward your pm number to fongo then you only need to access your fongo voicemail for all voice messages.

Also, if your Public Mobile phone is forwarded to Fongo, you should be able to configure fongo to EMAIL you the voicemails, so you dont need to call in to access them at all - they will just come into your email with the sound file attachments you can download over local data / wifi and listen from there.

Technically, If you don't forward your public mobile number to Fongo, calls will go immediately to Public Mobile voicemail. You can still use Fongo to call your PM number to access voicemail, or one of the many Public Mobile voicemail access numbers directly as well, but this is of course less convenient than the voicemails being emailed to you by Fongo. 🙂

Another solid wifi calling app popular on these forums is TextNow. Also gives you a separate Canadian number like Fongo. Free voicemail, texting etc over WiFi It even has free calling to the US, UK, and Ireland! (I just confirmed I can call "EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum" using TextNow for free at +353 1 906 0861)

@DebS43 

If you call forward your pm number to fongo then you only need to access your fongo voicemail for all voice messages.

anthoni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
You can forward your calls to Fongo or any voice service that can receive voice calls. Instruction on how to forward your voice will depend on your phone model and version. Google can help with this. Please note this will not work with SMS/Texting.

DebS43

If I install Fongo to use while in transit and then put a local SIM into my spare phone when I arrive in Dublin I think I should be covered. My spare phone doesn't have a SIM in it at all. It strictly operates on Wifi. You mentioned call forwarding from my PM number, so can I retrieve calls from my Fongo number or would I call PM voicemail to get them?

@DebS43 

Seeing as your pm sim just won't work it won't make a big difference but always good to carry a spare phone. Once you leave Canada your pm sim will just act like your phone is off so incoming calling will be forwarded to the number you either call forward to or it will go to voicemail by default. Our resident voicemail expert @Nezgar can answer any of those questions but here is one of their posts on the subject....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Out-of-service-area-or-on-Airplane-mo...

DebS43

I have a secondary phone that I can put a local SIM into which may simplify things, I hope.

DebS43

Thanks for the advice. Good to know.

@DebS43 

If you are only there for a week then there is no point in suspending service but forwarding your pm number to fongo while in Canada ( at the airport) just makes it easier to get in touch with you in case of an emergency at home. I bought my dual sim phone knowing we had a upcoming trip to Europe and I planned on buying a SIM card as soon as we got there. In Dublin it just wasn't needed but if you will be out in the countryside or in a car a lot then a local sim (from Tesco or others) or perhaps a global sim card might be in order if you have further travel planned in the next year. The local sim card will work in most of Europe with the roam free service agreements between EEC countries. Erin go bragh!

@DebS43  yes, local SIM usually is the best way to go.

Only trouble without Roaming is that you want get 2FA text.  So, make sure to ask yourself if you will need to access sites/app/emails that requires 2FA when you are there.  If so, either change 2FA method from text to authenticator or email. or disable 2FA or call those business to see what choices you have

DebS43

I am only going to be in Ireland for a week so I don't want to suspend my PM service. I don't really think I need to have calls forwarded either as I rarely get calls and I will make sure to let anyone know who might call otherwise call me that I will be away for a week. Thanks for the suggestion about Fongo though. I am checking it out as an option. I may even pick up a local SIM card at Tesco once I am there just in case I am somewhere that doesn't have easy access to Wifi.

@DebS43   yes,Virgin has proper roaming service but again, it is costly

For Fongo, when you sign up, you will pick a Canadian phone number

you can either put the Fongo number on the form, or as @darlicious  said, forward your own cell number to Fongo.  Whoever call you will get redirect to Fongo.  As long as you have Wifi  or Mobile data, your Fongo app will ring.

@DebS43 wrote:

Does Fongo let me use my current cell # or would it change the number? I need to know in advance of going as I need to fill our a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form before I leave for my trip which requires I give the cell number I will be using in Ireland. When I was with Virgin I could by an add-on that covered all this but Virgin is a rip-off for everything else.

It's a different phone number but you can forward incoming calls to it. Outgoing calls won't show your Public number to the person answering,

@DebS43 

You can forward your pm number to your fongo number while still in Canada. Then you will get all of your incoming calling to your pm number on your fongo app while on WiFi or mobile data if you have a local SIM card. Alternatively you could just give out your fongo number if you want to suspend you pm service ( reactivate for 30 days by day 88/89 to keep your number and service with pm.)

DebS43

Does Fongo let me use my current cell # or would it change the number? I need to know in advance of going as I need to fill our a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form before I leave for my trip which requires I give the cell number I will be using in Ireland. When I was with Virgin I could by an add-on that covered all this but Virgin is a rip-off for everything else.

Need Help? Let's chat.