cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: I need to call Ireland, this is ridiculous!!

@Yummy wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

@DebS43   I would go with TextNow. 

Definitely TextNow. Calls/SMS in/out are free. Call quality is excellent comparing to Fongo. Get both app and keep number alive calling/SMS at least once per week. The only thing not working for both apps is receiving authentication codes sent by some companies/government. For those you would need real mobile number (and not ported land line).

Alternative is Viber...

I have Fongo and I use call forward but Fongo does not have free texting. 

I just downloaded Text Now...but cannot set up call forward. It will not allow me to turn the switch on to set up. 

DebS43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think TextNow gives me a US number so I may not be able to forward my PM calls to it without charge as my PM plan does not give me free US calling. Fongo gives me a Canadian number. I don't do a lot of texting. I prefer calling. From what I can tell with both TextNow and Fongo, both have calling, unless I am mistaken. TextNow allows me to call both US and Canada numbers and I believe Ireland numbers were free as well. Fongo does't mention calling US numbers. So many variables to consider but I need to choose one soon. I may not even need to get an Ireland local SIM card for my phone if I choose the right app.

@DebS43 wrote:

I think TextNow gives me a US number so I may not be able to forward my PM calls to it without charge as my PM plan does not give me free US calling. Fongo gives me a Canadian number. I don't do a lot of texting. I prefer calling. From what I can tell with both TextNow and Fongo, both have calling, unless I am mistaken. TextNow allows me to call both US and Canada numbers and I believe Ireland numbers were free as well. Fongo does't mention calling US numbers. So many variables to consider but I need to choose one soon. I may not even need to get an Ireland local SIM card for my phone if I choose the right app.

What's the area code of the Textnow phone number?   Whether's it's a number from the U.S. or Canada is easy to checked based on that.  Also, it wouldn't matter if your Public Mobile plan did include calls to the U.S. because calls still couldn't be forwarded to a U.S. number.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@DebS43 : I have a Canadian TextNow number. It says it's free to call the Republic but nothing's answering. No voicemails or front desks.

It says it's $0.35 to call the UK (Northern).

I'm using the free version so maybe that's why. Not sure. Texting and calling locally works.

DebS43

Thanks. I'll need to look more into it then. All I saw was US numbers so need to dig deeper. I won't need to call NI as I will only be in the Republic so that should be okay. I doubt I will really need to make any calls or even check voice messages or texts. I'm going on a tour and will have Wifi all the way. I will be there in 6 weeks. So excited.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DebS43 

There is nothing stopping you from downloading both fongo and textnow. They both have there advantages. Fongo allows for it to work on both WiFi and mobile data. So a phone call can go uninterrupted when moving out of a WiFi zone. It also has much less advertising (the free version) compared to textnow but only has free incoming texts where as textnow has free incoming and outgoing texts but a lot of advertising. I have both but mostly use fongo and constantly have to be reminded to text myself with textnow in order to not lose the phone number.

I found I used messenger more than anything to stay in touch with friends and family with the ability to chat, call, video call and send pics was easily the most versatile app to use. With it and forwarding your pm number to fongo you should be well covered with virtually free WiFi everywhere except when you're hanging upside down kissing the Blarney stone!

If you have a chance go for a pint of Guinness at the Foggy Dew in the Temple Bar. We lucked out and saw the lead singer of tne Specials and his new band play a couple of sets.

In for Guiness....In for Guiness....Stayed for craic'in band!Stayed for craic'in band!

Or Slattery's is good for the craic and an old fashioned ceilidh and is up a little closer to Dublin Castle.

Used to be painted in black and white Tudor style. Does a mean Sunday Brunch apparently.Used to be painted in black and white Tudor style. Does a mean Sunday Brunch apparently.

Have a lovely trip and be prepared for the rain and celebrate the sunny days! Sláinte!

Dublin CastleDublin CastlePlenty of CathedralsPlenty of CathedralsThe River LiffeyThe River LiffeyThe most important stop in Ireland!!The most important stop in Ireland!!

DebS43

Hey, I followed your suggestion and put TextNow on my iPhone and put Fongo on my spare phone which is a Samsung. TextNow is working great and I even called Ireland which didn't cost me a cent. Now, Fongo is  whole other story. I can't make a call using Fongo and I haven't been able to receive one either. I have tried calling my Fongo number several times and it won't even ring on the phone. There is nothing that even pops up for me to answer if it was to ring. The calls just went directly to voicemail and when I try to listen to the message I left I can hardly hear it. I am not impressed with Fongo at all. I think I'm just going to uninstall it and go with TextNow which seems to be much more reliable. Do you know if I can have TextNow on both my main phone and the spare and use the same number on each or would I have to get another number on the second phone? Thanks. Less than 3 weeks until I'm there. Can't wait.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DebS43 

It's too bad that fongo just is working for you. Perhaps try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. Just to see if that is the issue but by all means go with text now if that is reliably working for you.

I can't say for sure as my experience with text now is limited so someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the same number on both phones with text now. They would just both ring at the same time similar to messenger notification pings that go off on all of your devices with that app installed.

I'm excited for you! I recently have been following air fare prices to Dublin (with the intent to visit my sister in Portugal) and have seen return prices on KLM and Air France for about $450 from Vancouver! You will have to join us in the lounge when you have your first real pint of Guinness. As they say....Guiness doesn't travel well. There is nothing like the first one you have in the Emerald Isle. Erin go bragh! 

Need Help? Let's chat.